Suitable Pocket camera for Railfanning?

Old May 19th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Father Kodak

Default Suitable Pocket camera for Railfanning?

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:24:57 +1000, "Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR
NEAR mysoul.com.au wrote:

You learn something new every day. Until this thread, I had never heard the
word 'railfanning' and had no idea what it meant, which appears to be the
American equivilent of 'train-spotter' or 'anorak' in Aussie / Pomspeak.
Wonder what you call a propellerhead / plane-spotter?

Paul,

IF I understand the UK English term correctly, "trainspotters" are
people with books listing the numbers of all the locomotive on a
system like British Rail, and they check off the number of each engine
they have seen. I also have the impression that "trainspotting" is
considered a bit like "slacking" in the USA.

"Railfanning" describes various activities in connection with a deep
and broad-based interest in railroads, rail transit, and surface rail
lines ("trams. If often involves photography, but also music,
historical research, collecting items connected with rail systems and
the like.

If go you onto eBay and look at transportation memorabilia, you can
get an idea of the range of collectible items.

As for rail activities, some of them have enough people with expensive
gear that you might think you were at a professional photographers'
event.

Father Kodak

Paul

Old May 19th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"Father Kodak" wrote
"Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au wrote:

You learn something new every day. Until this thread, I had never heard
the
word 'railfanning' and had no idea what it meant, which appears to be the
American equivilent of 'train-spotter' or 'anorak' in Aussie / Pomspeak.
Wonder what you call a propellerhead / plane-spotter?

Paul,
IF I understand the UK English term correctly, "trainspotters" are
people with books listing the numbers of all the locomotive on a
system like British Rail, and they check off the number of each engine
they have seen.

That was my understanding too (though with me, it was London buses, as there
was an LT garage at the end of our road!)

I also have the impression that "trainspotting" is
considered a bit like "slacking" in the USA.

That is probably because of the 1996 Scottish film 'Trainspotting'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117951/ which dealt with the lives of a group
of heroin addicts. I never saw it, not my kind of subject!

"Railfanning" describes various activities in connection with a deep
and broad-based interest in railroads, rail transit, and surface rail
lines ("trams. If often involves photography, but also music,
historical research, collecting items connected with rail systems and
the like.
If go you onto eBay and look at transportation memorabilia, you can
get an idea of the range of collectible items.

Thanks for that information. My Dad worked for British Railways all his
life, so our family had close contact with the culture, and I can see the
attraction, especially in the steam days.

As for rail activities, some of them have enough people with expensive
gear that you might think you were at a professional photographers'
event.

Oh yes, in fact it was probably the sight of 'long tom' lenses in use at our
local station that originally got me interested in photography - you know
kids, see something 'cool' you just have to have one like it!

Paul

Old May 19th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Father Kodak

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:56:51 +1000, "Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR
NEAR mysoul.com.au wrote:

That is probably because of the 1996 Scottish film 'Trainspotting'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117951/ which dealt with the lives of a group
of heroin addicts. I never saw it, not my kind of subject!

Not my kind of lifestyle either. And if there are any heroin addicts
among anyone I know, then I'm just too dumb to spot that. I once met
a British chap in business who might have been a heavy drug user,
because he looked like he just got hit by a bus, every day I saw him.

"Railfanning" describes various activities in connection with a deep
and broad-based interest in railroads, rail transit, and surface rail
lines ("trams. If often involves photography, but also music,
historical research, collecting items connected with rail systems and
the like.
If go you onto eBay and look at transportation memorabilia, you can
get an idea of the range of collectible items.

Thanks for that information. My Dad worked for British Railways all his
life, so our family had close contact with the culture, and I can see the
attraction, especially in the steam days.

What did your dad do? Was he a train driver?

Even past steam days, there is still a lot that attracts people to the
rails.

As for rail activities, some of them have enough people with expensive
gear that you might think you were at a professional photographers'
event.

Oh yes, in fact it was probably the sight of 'long tom' lenses in use at our
local station that originally got me interested in photography - you know
kids, see something 'cool' you just have to have one like it!

Long Tom. That was the nickname for a US Army World War II cannon,
155 mm if I remember correctly.

Father Kodak

Paul

Old May 20th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"Father Kodak" wrote
"Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au wrote:

That is probably because of the 1996 Scottish film 'Trainspotting'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117951/ which dealt with the lives of a group
of heroin addicts. I never saw it, not my kind of subject!

Not my kind of lifestyle either. And if there are any heroin addicts
among anyone I know, then I'm just too dumb to spot that. I once met
a British chap in business who might have been a heavy drug user,
because he looked like he just got hit by a bus, every day I saw him.

Perhaps he was just hopeless at crossing the road?

Thanks for that information. My Dad worked for British Railways all his
life, so our family had close contact with the culture, and I can see the
attraction, especially in the steam days.

What did your dad do? Was he a train driver?

Wouldn't that have been cool, I'd have been the most popular kid in school.
No, he started out as a ticket collector, moved on to the ticket office, and
ended up as deputy District Manager for Southern Railways (before the
regions merged into British Rail - who knows what yuppie name is painted on
the trains these days?) They still don't run on time, or at all sometimes...

Oh yes, in fact it was probably the sight of 'long tom' lenses in use at
our
local station that originally got me interested in photography - you know
kids, see something 'cool' you just have to have one like it!

Long Tom. That was the nickname for a US Army World War II cannon,
155 mm if I remember correctly.

I know Amateur Photography magazine often referred to telephotos as 'Long
Toms', but doubtless that name originated in the military, as you say.

Paul

Old May 21st 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alexander Rogge

I am not sure which
modern cameras have a full-stop shutter speed option

It appears that Leica still uses the whole-stops on the shutter speed dial.
Old July 5th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
William O'Hara

ransley wrote in
:

On May 11, 4:55*pm, "William O'Hara" wrote:
I'm looking for a reasonable priced pocket digital camera. *I want
one w

ith
a decent lense with a low aperture.

I'm interested in one with a good range of shutter speeds with less
spacin

than say a film slr with 1/250 and the next increment being 1/500. *I
wo

uld
also like to burn at least 5-8 fps to the flash card in one burst.

Is there one out there with all the settings fully controllable by
the user?

thanks
bill

--
---
William O'Harawww.N1ey.com- Amateur Radio and Railfan

com/group/illinoiscentral- premier discussion list
ICRR

If you mean a 5 shot burst mode that is common on even cheap cameras
as its been out for years

Not true. Point one out to me. My pentax can only do 3.

thanks

--
---
Old July 7th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Father Kodak

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 06:03:43 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 11, 4:55*pm, "William O'Hara" wrote:
I'm looking for a reasonable priced pocket digital camera. *I want one with
a decent lense with a low aperture.

I'm interested in one with a good range of shutter speeds with less spacing
than say a film slr with 1/250 and the next increment being 1/500. *I would
also like to burn at least 5-8 fps to the flash card in one burst.

Is there one out there with all the settings fully controllable by the
user?

thanks
bill

--
---
William O'Harawww.N1ey.com- Amateur Radio and Railfan Blogwww.yahoogroups.com/group/illinoiscentral- premier discussion list
ICRR

You said 5-8 fps thats frames per second, if you meant burst continous
shooting you would be realistic or video mode most all will do.

And you also need to think about buffer depth.

Gosh, how many years since IC became ICG and then CN/GTW.

Father Kodak