Suggestions for entry level medium format camera please

Old March 21st 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Tony[_7_]

Default Suggestions for entry level medium format camera please

Hello everyone,

I am wanting opinions on which 2nd hand medium format camera to buy.

I am currently using a Nikon F4 as my film camera using velvia slide
film.
I want to increase the film size, I like shooting people, but also
enjoy taking landscapes and scenery when traveling.

My budget in $1000 to start with so that limits the field I know.

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Old March 21st 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael[_6_]

On 2008-03-20 22:34:32 -0400, Tony said:

Hello everyone,

I am wanting opinions on which 2nd hand medium format camera to buy.

I am currently using a Nikon F4 as my film camera using velvia slide
film.
I want to increase the film size, I like shooting people, but also
enjoy taking landscapes and scenery when traveling.

My budget in $1000 to start with so that limits the field I know.

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Pentax 6x7 or 67 or 67II. No contest.
--
Michael

Old March 21st 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lobby Dosser

krishnananda wrote:

There is a tremendous variety of prices for twin-lens reflex cameras
with Rollei being the most expensive and Oriental (if they are still in
business) being the least. Yashica and Mamiya occupy the middle ground.
Mamiya offered interchangeable lenses on their C330 line of cameras.

Also the C220.

And don't forget the Bronica. Some great deals out there.
Old March 21st 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Tony[_7_]

On Mar 21, 3:54 pm, krishnananda wrote:
In article
,

Tony wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am wanting opinions on which 2nd hand medium format camera to buy.

I am currently using a Nikon F4 as my film camera using velvia slide
film.
I want to increase the film size, I like shooting people, but also
enjoy taking landscapes and scenery when traveling.

My budget in $1000 to start with so that limits the field I know.

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

As with everything in photography, it depends.

Formats: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12, 6x17
Systems: Twin-lens reflex, single lens reflex, rangefinder, view camera,
viewfinder
Amenities: Manual focus, auto focus, manual exposure, auto exposure,
motor drive
Viewing: Eye-level with prism, eye level without prism, waist level,
focusing hood/ground glass
Lenses: interchangeable lenses, fixed lens
Batteries: Mechanical, electronic
Meter: Internal, hand-held, both

Before you can narrow your choices you need to decide which of the above
is important to you, then look at cameras which fit your needs. We can
better help you if you can narrow the field to for example one format
and one viewing method. There are multiple systems which have
overlapping features. Also many systems are modular so you can put
together your own set of options.

AFAIK, autofocus cameras are exclusively 6x4.5 (Mamiya, Pentax,
Hasselblad, Contax)

There is a tremendous variety of prices for twin-lens reflex cameras
with Rollei being the most expensive and Oriental (if they are still in
business) being the least. Yashica and Mamiya occupy the middle ground.
Mamiya offered interchangeable lenses on their C330 line of cameras.

Rangefinders vary from old Voigtlander folding cameras (they are
fantastic if the lens is not fogged) to current Mamiya 6 and Mamiya 7
interchangeable lens rangefinders.

6x7, the so called "ideal" format can be had in lightweight rangefinders
from Fuji and Mamiya to huge heavy trucks also from Mamiya. These 6x7
SLRs from Mamiya are an excellent buy these days.

Then in the stratosphere are the medium format view cameras from the
Hasselblad ArcBody ($5,000+) to the Silvestri rigid view camera (2,500)
to the Linhof 6x9 Technikardan ($4,500 + lens) way up to the Alpa 12
(save your pennies and get a BMW instead).

Lots to think about. B&H's website is very informative, as is KEH's.
Some of the more obscure places in the back of Shutterbug magazine (is
that still around?) might have more of the lower end "collectible"
cameras for a few hundred dollars like the Agfa and Voigtlander folders.

Good luck, welcome to the club, enjoy your search, and please come back
and ask more questions. Above all medium format is _fun_. Especially if
your eyesight is like mine and you can no longer see 35mm negatives!

--k

Krishnananda,

thank you for your post, you're right there are a lot of options and I
should narrow down the field. So here are some features I am looking
for:

Formats: 6x7
Systems: single lens reflex
Amenities: Manual focus, manual exposure, no motor drive
Viewing: waist level,
Lenses: interchangeable lenses
Batteries: Mechanical, electronic, - either
Meter: hand-held

thank you for your time to reply and warm welcome. Enjoying the help
from the group.

Tony

Old March 21st 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Tony[_7_]

On Mar 21, 7:09 pm, krishnananda wrote:
In article
,

Tony wrote:
[...]

Well that makes it much easier!

6x7 SLRs are either in the Pentax 67 mode -- a 35mm SLR on steroids, or
the Mamiya RB67 which looks like a Hasselblad on a few steroids. There
are tremendous differences between the two, but they do share weighing a
ton each.

The Pentax 67 was originally conceived as an easy entry to medium format
(primarily for wedding photographers) since it is laid out exactly like
a 35mm SLR, including pentaprism and easy loading. The camera can be
used with a waist level finder but it is really meant to be an eye-level
camera and though heavy it is well balanced and handles very well if you
are used to a heavy 35mm SLR.

You can save some money by getting a non-meter prism especially since
you want to use a hand-held meter. The lenses Pentax made for this
system are superb, and the whole system is now dirt cheap. The 50mm
wide-angle is as good as any manufacturer's.

The negatives of the Pentax 67 a no interchangeable film backs; no
recurved film path so that the pressure plate is the only thing holding
the film flat; and unwieldy as a waist-level camera.

The Mamiya RB67 is an excellent camera with lots to offer: in the
"Hasselblad mode" it has interchangeable lenses, film backs, and
finders/prisms. A basic model with a 120 film back and a waist level
finder is very inexpensive, letting you spend more on lenses.

Advantages of the RB67 a 100% mechanical operation; rotating back so
you don't have to rotate the body; built in extension bellows for
close-ups with any lens; built like a Sherman tank; because of the
interchangeable back the film is recurved and held flat by both tension
and a pressure plate; many excellent lenses to choose from.

The only disadvantage I can think of is weight. But any MF SLR camera
bigger than 6x6 is going to weigh a ton.

These two (and there are many others out there by Bronica, Exacta, and
others) are very different cameras. Possibly the most important thing is
for you to get hold of one of each -- and whatever others recommend --
and see how they fit your hands and style of shooting. If it doesn't fit
chances are you won't use it.

If you live in the boondocks, both B&H and KEH have very generous "no
questions asked" return policies so if it comes to it you can audition
two and return the one you don't want. If you live near NYC or LA,
Samy's Camera in Venice Beach, and B&H on 9th Avenue, are fantastic
places to try things out. KEH in Atlanta does not maintain a retail
store (they never have in 25+ years of operation).

The usual disclaimers: all of this is only my opinion, I could be wrong,
I often am. It would be good to see what people who are more familiar
with other manufacturers have to say. FWIW I use neither the Pentax 67
nor the Mamiya RB67. I use a Hasselblad 501c for 6x6, Mamiya 7
rangefinder for 6x7, Silvestri 6x9 rigid view camera, and Horseman 6x12
ultra wide angle, none of which would meet your needs, probably.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted on your quest!

--k

Thanks K,

So much appreciated to get a detailed description. I will be able to
focus my search on the RB67 I had one in my hands about 12 months ago
which kind of planted the seed to get a medium format camera in the
first place. I also have a D100 which I bought when they were new and
expensive and was thinking about an upgrade at the time. I have since
gone back to film, stopped chasing the technology wave. I can still
remember holding the RB67 and thinking wow what a great machine and I
like the weight too. Still kicking myself and wanted to make sure that
it wasn't the only option in that area but I think it is very clear
what I really should get.

I didn't mention in my initial post but I live in Sydney Australia. I
do really like B&H though and have a few friends who have purchased
from them and got great shipping back to Australia in record time. I
think I will check out ebat and our local film camera legendary
magazine called the "Photographic Trader" for a bargain before going
for the new option. I am quite attached to retro equipment hence the
Nikon F4, I have a 1955 typewriter which I prefer to my 18month old
whiz bank laptop and our 2nd car is 1969 VW beetle. So an authentic
older RB67 would really sit well with me.

Thank you so much for you help it has really crystalised my thoughts
on what I need to get started in medium format.

regards
Tony
Old March 21st 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

Tony wrote:
[...]

With those criteria, the Mamiya RB 67 or - if you want swings & tilts
too - the Fuji GX 680 are about your only options.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old March 21st 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

In article CjHEj.13471$2Y4.7143@trndny01, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Also the C220.

Ick.

And don't forget the Bronica. Some great deals out there.

I'd forget them. They've always been a poor man's Hasselblad.
Old March 21st 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

In article
,
Tony wrote:

So much appreciated to get a detailed description. I will be able to
focus my search on the RB67 I had one in my hands about 12 months ago
which kind of planted the seed to get a medium format camera in the
first place. I also have a D100 which I bought when they were new and
expensive and was thinking about an upgrade at the time. I have since
gone back to film, stopped chasing the technology wave. I can still
remember holding the RB67 and thinking wow what a great machine and I
like the weight too. Still kicking myself and wanted to make sure that
it wasn't the only option in that area but I think it is very clear
what I really should get.

I used an RB in the studio for several years, and it stayed in the
studio on a camera stand. They're way too heavy to pack around. I'd
hate to have done a wedding with one.

I only had one lens...the soft-focus 150mm...an outstanding portrait
lens. Better get at least two backs though, they make 'em pretty cheap.
Old March 21st 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Tony" wrote:

Formats: 6x7
Systems: single lens reflex
Amenities: Manual focus, manual exposure, no motor drive
Viewing: waist level,
Lenses: interchangeable lenses
Batteries: Mechanical, electronic, - either
Meter: hand-held

That's either a Mamiya RB67 or RZ67: both have rotating backs so they don't
need a prism to let you do vertical shots. Chris Perez' tests of the RZ67's
65mm and 110mm lenses showed that they have excellent performance at the
edges, so the RZ's attractive for landscape work.

Personally, I'd put up with a prism and go with a Pentax 67 of some sort:
but that's because I really like a lens in the 45mm range, and the Pentax
45/4.0 is actually affordable, whereas the widest RB/RZ lens is 50mm. These
are not light cameras, though: with the 90/2.8, a P67 would be in the 2.0 kg
range, as opposed to 2.5 kg for the RZ67 + 110/2.8.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 21st 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

"Tony" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I am wanting opinions on which 2nd hand medium format camera to buy.
Tony

Tony: A few months ago I bought a Mamiya RB67 Pro S on ebay for $275. It
was from a camera store and appears to be in great shape. (A few interlocks
don't work but...) I did have to replace the seals on it but that is a
simple process and something that needs to be done probably every so often.
I bought felt at Wal-Mart and used that although some say to use only foam.
You can get it on the net if you go that route. There are three RB67's.
The first was the RB67 which doesn't have the interlocks that prevent double
exposure and things with the dark slide and other things. The RB67 Pro S
has those. Then the latest is the RB67 Pro SD I think it is called. That
uses a little bigger lenses mount I guess but is otherwise the same camera.
Your best bet is probably the Pro S in the used market. The camera new is
around $1300-$1500 for a basic lense and 120 back. Mine came with the 127
mm lense and that or the 90mm are the most common. I like the 6X7 format
and wanted a camera that didn't need batteries. Ric in Wisconsin.