multi exposure tutorial

Old December 5th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rsegoly

Default multi exposure tutorial

Hello,

A while ago (before I had my digital), I used my regular camera to
create Multiple Exposure pictures. It involved compensating three stops
when I used 8 exposures in one frame, the outcome was amazing, I still
have big Yellow flower hanging in my daughter's room.

Now I have Digital SLR (Canon Rebel), and was looking for same effect.

I found tutorial which suggest taking 8 pictures with 3 stops
compensation and then putting each on different layer, and use screen
blending mode to all layers except the bottom one, but its not working
well. I use GIMP not Photoshop.

Anyone have experience?

This is the tutorial I used
http://www.naturephotographers.net/a.../tg0903-1.html

Old December 6th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
silverthreads

I have a friend who has a compositing program I will get in touch with
him and see what it is.

Old December 6th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill

"silverthreads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a friend who has a compositing program I will get in touch
with
him and see what it is.

I found tutorial which suggest taking 8 pictures with 3 stops
compensation and then putting each on different layer, and use
screen
blending mode to all layers except the bottom one, but its not
working
well. I use GIMP not Photoshop.

This sounds like High Dynamic Range (HDR) where you add several
exposures to get more range from shadow to highlights.

I haven't tried it with my D80 yet, but it has a 3 exposure option
built-in and it sounds interesting for some subjects. Might be handy
for Christmas.

Try doing a Google search on DHR and see what programs are being used.

Old December 6th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
silverthreads

Photomatix from http://www.hdrsoft.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging is also a good
source.