trouble printing scanned photo

Old December 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ruthie

Default trouble printing scanned photo

Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have scanned,
and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in focus, etc.
The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution, but the
colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi) does print
color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Old December 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

"Ruthie" wrote in
:
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in
focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded.

Make sure you set the color model and white balance in the scanned photo to
match your printer.
Old December 4th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Ruthie wrote:
: Hi -
: I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
: I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
: scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is
: in focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
: When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
: background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution,
: but the colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi)
: does print color well - just not with these photos.
: Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print
: them?
: Thank you in advance.

One possible problem. What kind of paper are you printing on. If you are
printing on regular printer paper the ink soaks into the paper. This
causes the ink to fade and details to blur. Also not all printers are good
at printing photos as they may not be very good at placing small enough
ink dots precise enough. And thus the image appears blurred and/or faded.
Also since images displayed on the screen are additive colors of light
while ink is a subtractive colors of pigments. So the translation between
the two color systems have to be coordinated. There are color management
programs out there that include managing the color on the printer as well
as the monitor.

Good luck.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old December 4th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Ruthie wrote:
Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have scanned,
and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in focus, etc.
The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution, but the
colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi) does print
color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Can you post the picture for us to see and diagnose?
Bob Williams

Old December 4th 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ruthie wrote:
Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have scanned,
and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in focus, etc.
The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution, but the
colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi) does print
color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Proper adjustment of the scanner, monitor and printer.
Old December 4th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Ron Hunter wrote:
Ruthie wrote:

Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is
in focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution,
but the colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi)
does print color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Proper adjustment of the scanner, monitor and printer.

The details of how to do htis depend on the hardware and the
software, particularly the image editor you are using. The
topic of color managment has been discussed many times on
this NG, and you can find those threads at Google Groups.
Old December 5th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ruthie

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Ruthie wrote:
Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in
focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution, but
the colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi) does
print color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Can you post the picture for us to see and diagnose?
Bob Williams

I posted the scanned photo, and the printed version of the scanned photo,
here http://www.flickr.com/photos/64966431@N00/

I appreciate your thoughts on what I'm doing wrong.

Old December 5th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ruthie

"sally" wrote in message
"Ruthie" wrote in
:
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in
focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded.

Make sure you set the color model and white balance in the scanned photo
match your printer.

Thanks, Sally.

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pedaling as fast as I can, trying to
figure it out.

You can see a photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/64966431@N00/ and the
difference is obvious.

Old December 5th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ruthie

"Randy Berbaum" wrote in message
Ruthie wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your thoughts, Randy. I am printing on plain paper. While
neither image is blurry, the printed one is definitely faded. You can see an
example here http://www.flickr.com/photos/64966431@N00/

Wow. I'm trying to learn about color management. Hadn't a clue. Please bear
with me.

Old December 5th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ruthie

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Ruthie wrote:
Hi -
I am new to this newsgroup, but I hope someone here can help.
I have tried to print photos (commercially processed) that I have
scanned, and they end up faded. The original photo has rich color, is in
focus, etc. The scanned image that I saved looks the same.
When I print the image, it looks faded. The reds are dull; the black
background is dark grey. It is in focus, has good enough resolution, but
the colors are faded. Very disappointing. My printer (HP 7210xi) does
print color well - just not with these photos.
Any ideas how I can correct this, so I can copy my photos and print them?
Thank you in advance.

Proper adjustment of the scanner, monitor and printer.

Thanks, Ron. I'm trying to learn about all this. Would you care to
elaborate?