OT but still photography

Old May 17th 04, 03:13 PM
jjs

Default OT but still photography

First, to put this On Topic: my wife and I are traveling very light on a
cross-country trip, and I'm taking my SWC and Zeiss Ikonta 645 folder. But
for her...

The years haven't been kind to the eyes and she can't use the Olympus
Pen-F anymore. She's looking for a point-n-shoot. Got any recommendations?
Digital is okay, too.

I just don't know squat about the little cameras. Suggestions would be
very much appreciated.
Old May 17th 04, 04:39 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, jjs posted:

First, to put this On Topic: my wife and I are traveling very light
on a cross-country trip, and I'm taking my SWC and Zeiss Ikonta 645
folder. But for her...

The years haven't been kind to the eyes and she can't use the Olympus
Pen-F anymore. She's looking for a point-n-shoot. Got any
recommendations? Digital is okay, too.

I just don't know squat about the little cameras. Suggestions would be
very much appreciated.

You might want to look at some of the Olympus Stylus cameras. They do a
credible job, are relatively compact and inexpensive.

Regards,

Neil

Old May 17th 04, 06:34 PM
Gordon Moat

jjs wrote:

First, to put this On Topic: my wife and I are traveling very light on a
cross-country trip, and I'm taking my SWC and Zeiss Ikonta 645 folder. But
for her...

The years haven't been kind to the eyes and she can't use the Olympus
Pen-F anymore. She's looking for a point-n-shoot. Got any recommendations?
Digital is okay, too.

I just don't know squat about the little cameras. Suggestions would be
very much appreciated.

To keep it on topic for the medium format group, I would suggest finding one
of the various Fuji 645 autofocus cameras. The viewfinders are fairly bright,
and the results can be surprisingly good from these. They look like a
slightly large P&S as well, just one that uses roll film.

If you really want to go 35 mm size, I see many pros use a Yashica T4 Zoom
(or older T4 Super) as a backup camera. More expensive option is the Contax
T3, though the Rollei AFM35 is a much lower cost option with a very nice
lens, and it still does a very nice job. The various Olympus Stylus choices
are another reliable low cost alternative.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old May 17th 04, 06:34 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

jjs wrote:

First, to put this On Topic: my wife and I are traveling very light on a
cross-country trip, and I'm taking my SWC and Zeiss Ikonta 645 folder. But
for her...

The years haven't been kind to the eyes and she can't use the Olympus
Pen-F anymore. She's looking for a point-n-shoot. Got any recommendations?
Digital is okay, too.

If she has problems with the viewfinder, she'll have the same problems
with P&S film cameras too, won't she? But digicams have also a large LCD
display that is easy to see. Some of the cheapest don't have a
look-through viewfinder at all. If she can't use it, no need to pay for
it.

I just don't know squat about the little cameras. Suggestions would be
very much appreciated.

She can stay loyal to Olympus, if she wants to. They are one of the
oldest and most experienced makers of digital gear. Just decide how much
zoom is enough...

-- Lassi
Old May 17th 04, 10:22 PM
Stefano Bramato

I just don't know squat about the little cameras. Suggestions would be
very much appreciated.

I suggest Olympus mju II. Incredible lens and autofocus (mine works
in totally dark too), an excellent sharp image. It's my visual
notepad since three years and nevere disappointed me.
ciao.
Stefano
--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old May 17th 04, 11:11 PM
jjs

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message

To keep it on topic for the medium format group, I would suggest finding

one
of the various Fuji 645 autofocus cameras. [...]

Aw, Gordon! Do you think I'm made of money? But I do appreciate the
points.

Old May 17th 04, 11:15 PM
jjs

Thanks, all! I had to go to the nearest town today to turn in our brand new
broken G5 for repair, so I stopped by Best Buy and went with Neil Gould's
recommendation. Since we will be on the beaches in Oregon and Washington
state I got the weather resistant Olympus Stylus 300. It was on sale. 3.2mpx
is good enough for snapshots, and they threw in 256mb cards for $79 each.

Money is limited so don't give me any more tempting options!

Best,
John

Old May 18th 04, 01:22 AM
Mike

"jjs" wrote in message
Thanks, all! I had to go to the nearest town today to turn in our brand

new
broken G5 for repair, so I stopped by Best Buy and went with Neil Gould's
recommendation. Since we will be on the beaches in Oregon and Washington
state I got the weather resistant Olympus Stylus 300. It was on sale.

3.2mpx
is good enough for snapshots, and they threw in 256mb cards for $79 each.

Money is limited so don't give me any more tempting options!

Best,
John

John as some one who lives in the NW corner of Washington a little advice.
If or when you reach Forks WA make sure you have an underwater housing, can
rain a LOT there...... lol
Have a great trip both coasts are beautiful.

Old May 18th 04, 01:52 AM

I agree that AF's the way to go. But get a zoom though. At least with a zoom
you can frame the shot and kind of force the AF to focus on what you want it to.
With a single focal length lens, the AF can play games with who or what it
focuses on. Try to shoot fast sequences and you're in trouble. Shoot with
faster film than what you're used to too i.e. 400/800 so that you get the DOF to
compensate for any stupid mistakes the AF makes.