This is insane - On1 Photo Raw crashes

Old August 1st 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default This is insane - On1 Photo Raw crashes

Everyone is welcome to take a shot at this one.

(I was viewing only car photos.) Open the app in browse view, select a
photo, switch to develop module. Change view to filmstrip, click on
photo to zoom, change zoom amount to anything else, click on photo
again to reset zoom. And here's where it gets crazy. Select another
photo, the app crashes every time. Except I was wrong about every time
- it crashes only if the last photo I zoomed is of a red car. Every
other photo is fine if the car is any other color, and it will switch
to the next photo every time.

WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?
Old August 1st 17, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Everyone is welcome to take a shot at this one.

(I was viewing only car photos.) Open the app in browse view, select a
photo, switch to develop module. Change view to filmstrip, click on
photo to zoom, change zoom amount to anything else, click on photo
again to reset zoom. And here's where it gets crazy. Select another
photo, the app crashes every time. Except I was wrong about every time
- it crashes only if the last photo I zoomed is of a red car. Every
other photo is fine if the car is any other color, and it will switch
to the next photo every time.

red is not a supported colour. only blue or green subjects can be
displayed.

the latest rumour is that support for red will be added in the next
version.

WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

no.

more seriously, it sounds like the red car photos are corrupt in some
way, causing the (poorly written) app to crash rather than report an
error. check crash logs for additional info.

try opening the photos that are causing problems in other apps and see
if they report any issues (or crash).

another option is use a utility to check all of your photos (not just
the red car ones) for any corruption, such as jpeginfo.
Old August 1st 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 00:12:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

These photos are a couple of years old, and were processed in both DXO
& LR with no issues at all.

another option is use a utility to check all of your photos (not just
the red car ones) for any corruption, such as jpeginfo.

They're all RAW files. I think your remark, "poorly written" is the
key. I already emailed their support, so we'll see what they say. And
the photos have to be bright red, something like maroon causes no
problems.

I have to think this will have something to do with the video card,
but there are no options in the app to change anything.
Old August 1st 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

another option is use a utility to check all of your photos (not just
the red car ones) for any corruption, such as jpeginfo.

They're all RAW files.

those could also be corrupt.

I think your remark, "poorly written" is the
key.

anything that crashes is by definition poorly written.

I already emailed their support, so we'll see what they say. And
the photos have to be bright red, something like maroon causes no
problems.

that suggests a colour space issue, perhaps in how it deals with out of
gamut colours, although it seems unlikely that would cause it to crash.

did you check crashlogs?

I have to think this will have something to do with the video card,
but there are no options in the app to change anything.

try setting it to fewer colours or b/w.
Old August 1st 17, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 00:27:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

another option is use a utility to check all of your photos (not just
the red car ones) for any corruption, such as jpeginfo.

They're all RAW files.

those could also be corrupt.

I think your remark, "poorly written" is the
key.

anything that crashes is by definition poorly written.

I already emailed their support, so we'll see what they say. And
the photos have to be bright red, something like maroon causes no
problems.

that suggests a colour space issue, perhaps in how it deals with out of
gamut colours, although it seems unlikely that would cause it to crash.

did you check crashlogs?

Where do I check those? Do you mean in the app?

I have to think this will have something to do with the video card,
but there are no options in the app to change anything.

try setting it to fewer colours or b/w.

It might have something to do with that. I just remembered I went
through the settings and changed everything to prophoto, and I don't
believe that's what I was using originally with those photos. The
camera is set to AdobeRGB, and I think that's where I had all my photo
software. It still shouldn't be a problem, but it might help On1 find
a fix. I'll experiment with that tomorrow.
Old August 1st 17, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 31, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

Everyone is welcome to take a shot at this one.

OK! I use the Mac version of On1 Photo RAW 2017, both as a stand-alone and as
a Photoshop/Lightroom plug-in.

On1 Photo RAW 2017 seems to be very much a work in progress with each update
fixing bugs and adding features.
For me the Mac version has taken the path of being somewhat disappointing a
year ago, to have reached the stage of being a viable total solution for most
editing and adjustment need.

So my first question is: Are you running an up-to-date and current version of
Photo RAW?

(I was viewing only car photos.) Open the app in browse view, select a
photo, switch to develop module. Change view to filmstrip, click on
photo to zoom, change zoom amount to anything else, click on photo
again to reset zoom. And here's where it gets crazy. Select another
photo, the app crashes every time. Except I was wrong about every time
- it crashes only if the last photo I zoomed is of a red car. Every
other photo is fine if the car is any other color, and it will switch
to the next photo every time.

I haven’t been to a recent car show so I haven’t experienced this type of
‘red car’ crash. So I navigated to a car show shoot, found a red car in
*Browse* mode, opened *Develop* mode, switched to film strip, zoomed in,
zoomed out, and then switched to the next image of a red car. No crash.
However, that might just be my Mac.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc4eiy8kn4f6o0k/screenshot_117.jpg

At this stage I would report your experience to On1 support as a bug.
Provide them with all the details of your system and any crash reports you
might have.

From the *Help* menu you should have several items which could be useful:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c910nzv05whg4u/screenshot_119.jpg
Check for Updates
Provide Feedback
Show On1 Log (that should show a record of the crashes, and a possible cause)

WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

MS isn’t a part of my World.

Savageduck

Old August 1st 17, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 21:59:42 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 31, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

Everyone is welcome to take a shot at this one.

OK! I use the Mac version of On1 Photo RAW 2017, both as a stand-alone and as
a Photoshop/Lightroom plug-in.

On1 Photo RAW 2017 seems to be very much a work in progress with each update
fixing bugs and adding features.
For me the Mac version has taken the path of being somewhat disappointing a
year ago, to have reached the stage of being a viable total solution for most
editing and adjustment need.

So my first question is: Are you running an up-to-date and current version of
Photo RAW?

Yep, just got it today, and I even checked for updates after install.

(I was viewing only car photos.) Open the app in browse view, select a
photo, switch to develop module. Change view to filmstrip, click on
photo to zoom, change zoom amount to anything else, click on photo
again to reset zoom. And here's where it gets crazy. Select another
photo, the app crashes every time. Except I was wrong about every time
- it crashes only if the last photo I zoomed is of a red car. Every
other photo is fine if the car is any other color, and it will switch
to the next photo every time.

I haven’t been to a recent car show so I haven’t experienced this type of
‘red car’ crash. So I navigated to a car show shoot, found a red car in
*Browse* mode, opened *Develop* mode, switched to film strip, zoomed in,
zoomed out, and then switched to the next image of a red car. No crash.
However, that might just be my Mac.

Did you adjust the amount of zoom after the initial mouse click? I
zoomed initially with the single click, and then above the left corner
of the photo there is there is a dropdown zoom adjustment slider.
After zooming, I moved that slider to 50%, then clicked on the photo
again to zoom back out, and then chose another car in the filmstrip
below. That's when it crashes every last time with any bright red car.
As an added feature, when you click a second time, the area with the
main photo switches back to grid view, and then "not responding" shows
up in the title bar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc4eiy8kn4f6o0k/screenshot_117.jpg

At this stage I would report your experience to On1 support as a bug.
Provide them with all the details of your system and any crash reports you
might have.

I already did that, but I suspect it could take a while to get a
reply.

From the *Help* menu you should have several items which could be useful:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c910nzv05whg4u/screenshot_119.jpg
Check for Updates
Provide Feedback
Show On1 Log (that should show a record of the crashes, and a possible cause)

I do need to look at that log.

WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

MS isn’t a part of my World.

It's a big part of mine. The bad part.
Old August 1st 17, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Bill W" wrote

| So my first question is: Are you running an up-to-date and current
version of
| Photo RAW?
|
| Yep, just got it today, and I even checked for updates after install.

Why would you not suspect that as the problem?
New versions are far more likely to cause problems
than to fix them, unless you've had a very specific
problem and the new version specifically patches that.
Otherwise, why change what's not broken? The advice
to always get the latest update is very common and
very wrong. It's based on a misconception that
newer=better. Bugs in new releases are very
common.

Take a look at the Win10 newsgroup. It's full of
suckers who bought the "latest and greatest"
marketing that's perpetuated by the tech media who
rely on Microsoft advertising dollars. Now the Win10
adopters are guinea pigs, spending their time trying
to figure out how to fix whatever the latest forced
update has broken. One of today's questions is,
"why did my shortcuts stop working?". Most such
questions devolve into long discussions about which
update version people are using. They're doing
Microsoft's beta testing without being paid for it!

If you really want to test the problem you'll
need to find people with the program and give them
the files in question. The problem is obviously not
red cars. But it might be the new update. Did you
try reverting to the former version?

I can't help, though. I use Aftershot Pro, which is
a lot less money than On1. Which makes me wonder why
you picked the high priced spread in the first place.
Do you have reason to think it's better?

| WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

I find that MS write very, very good software.
But usually they're not trying. They could get into
trouble if they create a best-of-breed and put others
out of business.

Microsoft have always focused on backward
compatibility, flexibility, and user accessibility. The
computer should do what you need it to do and the
hardware can be whatever you want it to be. They
had to be that way because their main customer is
corporate. Companies write their own in-house
software and won't buy new computers if that
software won't run on them.

Macs are more stable, because they're relatively
locked down "consumer entertainment" devices. Apple
controls the hardware and software. That's also why
it's so important that Chines iPhone users can't get
unapproved software from the Apple sto Apple
go to great lengths to prevent any unapproved use
of their products, in order to maintain their reputation
for stability and ease of use. And also to exploit their
customers by forcing them to buy overpriced stock
on a frequent basis. So iPhone customers get only
what Apple want them to have.

And of course Linux is a house half-built, with
no building permits. Some brilliant stuff. Some
broken stuff. Lots of stuff that will never be
finished. But darned clever, so long as you don't
need to get anything done.

So before you complain about Windows software
you might assess your other choices. Microsoft
doesn't rule the software world by accident.

Old August 1st 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| So my first question is: Are you running an up-to-date and current
version of
| Photo RAW?
|
| Yep, just got it today, and I even checked for updates after install.

Why would you not suspect that as the problem?
New versions are far more likely to cause problems
than to fix them, unless you've had a very specific
problem and the new version specifically patches that.

nonsense. newer versions fix reported problems in older versions, both
bugs and security issues.

newer versions also have features that users want, ones which don't
exist in older versions.

Otherwise, why change what's not broken? The advice
to always get the latest update is very common and
very wrong. It's based on a misconception that
newer=better. Bugs in new releases are very
common.

nonsense. newer versions have fewer bugs.

every once in a while, a company ****s up and releases a particularly
buggy update, at which point a fix is released days later.

nothing is perfect. everything has bugs.

Take a look at the Win10 newsgroup. It's full of
suckers who bought the "latest and greatest"
marketing that's perpetuated by the tech media who
rely on Microsoft advertising dollars. Now the Win10
adopters are guinea pigs, spending their time trying
to figure out how to fix whatever the latest forced
update has broken. One of today's questions is,
"why did my shortcuts stop working?". Most such
questions devolve into long discussions about which
update version people are using. They're doing
Microsoft's beta testing without being paid for it!

nonsense. users can *voluntarily* choose to get win10 insider builds
and the 'payment' is getting new functionality before everyone else
does.

windows 10 is also *much* better than win7/8 was, other than the design
language, which looks like something a 5 year old would do.

If you really want to test the problem you'll
need to find people with the program and give them
the files in question. The problem is obviously not
red cars. But it might be the new update. Did you
try reverting to the former version?

I can't help, though. I use Aftershot Pro, which is
a lot less money than On1. Which makes me wonder why
you picked the high priced spread in the first place.
Do you have reason to think it's better?

price isn't everything.

| WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

I find that MS write very, very good software.
But usually they're not trying. They could get into
trouble if they create a best-of-breed and put others
out of business.

they couldn't put others out of business even if they wanted to.

Microsoft have always focused on backward
compatibility, flexibility, and user accessibility.

which is what holds them back, and why they're starting to not focus on
it quite as much.

The
computer should do what you need it to do and the
hardware can be whatever you want it to be. They
had to be that way because their main customer is
corporate. Companies write their own in-house
software and won't buy new computers if that
software won't run on them.

if they wrote it properly, it would.

Macs are more stable, because they're relatively
locked down "consumer entertainment" devices.

i knew there'd be an anti-apple comment, especially one that's
completely wrong.

Apple
controls the hardware and software.

microsoft controls their hardware and software and much more than
anything apple does.

in fact, the microsoft surface laptop is *glued* together. you can't
open it even if you wanted to without destroying it.

did you have a point? no.

That's also why
it's so important that Chines iPhone users can't get
unapproved software from the Apple sto Apple
go to great lengths to prevent any unapproved use
of their products, in order to maintain their reputation
for stability and ease of use.

nonsense.

the reason the vpn apps were banned is because they're illegal in china.

chinese users can still use a vpn app if the user can source it some
other way, unless china cracks down on the isps to block it.

And also to exploit their
customers by forcing them to buy overpriced stock
on a frequent basis.

nobody is forced to do anything and overpriced products don't sell,
especially in the quantities apple sells them.

So iPhone customers get only
what Apple want them to have.

microsoft customers get only what microsoft wants them to have.

aftershot customers get only what corel wants them to have.

And of course Linux is a house half-built, with
no building permits. Some brilliant stuff. Some
broken stuff. Lots of stuff that will never be
finished. But darned clever, so long as you don't
need to get anything done.

nothing clever nor brilliant. just lots of broken stuff that won't be
finished, mostly because the users don't give a ****. it's not like
anyone is paying them to fix it.

So before you complain about Windows software
you might assess your other choices. Microsoft
doesn't rule the software world by accident.

microsoft doesn't rule anything anymore.

microsoft was only dominant in the 90s and early 2000s because of
illicit business practices and intentional lock-in, not because their
products were any good.
Old August 1st 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 08:42:26 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Bill W" wrote

| So my first question is: Are you running an up-to-date and current
version of
| Photo RAW?
|
| Yep, just got it today, and I even checked for updates after install.

Why would you not suspect that as the problem?
New versions are far more likely to cause problems
than to fix them, unless you've had a very specific
problem and the new version specifically patches that.
Otherwise, why change what's not broken? The advice
to always get the latest update is very common and
very wrong. It's based on a misconception that
newer=better. Bugs in new releases are very
common.

I just bought this app yesterday. It is not brand new, but yes, I have
the latest version. Anyway, I have done many hundreds of software
updates, and I can remember maybe two of them with bugs, but even
those bugs left the apps usable. I love new stuff, and look forward to
it. There can be problems. I don't care. Okay - there is one
exception, AV software. When they put out buggy updates, that really
is a mess. At the same time, ignoring those updates is not a very good
idea.

If you really want to test the problem you'll
need to find people with the program and give them
the files in question. The problem is obviously not
red cars.

It obviously is red cars. The files themselves work everywhere else.

But it might be the new update. Did you
try reverting to the former version?

There is no former version.

I can't help, though. I use Aftershot Pro, which is
a lot less money than On1. Which makes me wonder why
you picked the high priced spread in the first place.
Do you have reason to think it's better?

I have AfterShot Pro. I bought On1 because they lowered the price to
$50 for the upgrade. That's like free. And they sent one of those
emails with a timer counting down the remaining sale time right before
my eyes. If I would have let that count down to zero, the ensuing
chaos would have been unimaginable.

| WTF is this? Did Microsoft write this software?

I find that MS write very, very good software.
But usually they're not trying. They could get into
trouble if they create a best-of-breed and put others
out of business.

They are forever in trouble in the Euro zone for a related reason,
along with Google and others. But they don't get monopolies because
their software is that good. It's just very convenient to use their
software, and that forces competitors to offer software that is much
better than MS's everyday offerings. Life ain't fair.

Microsoft have always focused on backward
compatibility, flexibility, and user accessibility. The
computer should do what you need it to do and the
hardware can be whatever you want it to be. They
had to be that way because their main customer is
corporate. Companies write their own in-house
software and won't buy new computers if that
software won't run on them.

I always hoped for backward compatibility, but I still have boxes of
outdated software that no longer works. But that's just the way it is.
Macs are more stable, because they're relatively
locked down "consumer entertainment" devices. Apple
controls the hardware and software. That's also why
it's so important that Chines iPhone users can't get
unapproved software from the Apple sto Apple
go to great lengths to prevent any unapproved use
of their products, in order to maintain their reputation
for stability and ease of use.

No, it's because the Chinese gummint tells them what to do, along with
every other company that has a presence there. How do you fight a
dictatorship with a population over 1 billion? You do what they say,
take the money, and life goes on.

So before you complain about Windows software
you might assess your other choices. Microsoft
doesn't rule the software world by accident.

No, but a lot of that is questionable decisions by competitors over
the years, such as IBM.