My thanks to Davoud!

Old July 30th 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default My thanks to Davoud!

On 2017-07-30 03:05:16 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/29/2017 9:57 AM, Savageduck wrote:
snip

Photogenic is in the eye of the beholder. However, there is plenty of scenic
landscape up there.

Does that principle apply to digital noise?

That is a different issue altogether.
WTF does digital noise have to do with photogenicity?

Is there an absolute tolerance level, Or a relative one that depends
upon the image.

It always depends on the image, and the way it was shot, from lens,
environment, subject, and the totality of exposure settings. I would
not have the same expectations of a 56mm f/1.2 shot wide open for a
portrait, as I would for a 16mm landscape at f/8-f/11, a 200mm f/6.3
action sport shot, or a 23mm f/5 candid street shot. Each will have a
particular character, none of which should be wholely dependant on post.

Ultimately, there are going to be good photographs, bad photographs,
great photographs, and downright awful photographs which should be
considered for rejection. However, I always seem to retain some of my
very worst shots in the hope that one day I might be able to wring
something viewable out of them.

In the area North of Albany I have always enjoyed Corinth, Lake Luzerne, and
Lake George. There is always something fascinating to find in the Mohawk
Valley mill towns if you head up the ThruWay, or Rte 5 (a better scenic drive
without tolls) from Albany. I haven’t been in the Albany/Saratoga Springs
area, other than driving through, since 1974, and I am sure that much has
changed.

The last time I visited Upstate was in 2005, and then it was to visit family
in Syracuse and Utica. Once family obligations were met we were able to take
a scenic drive through the Adirondacks with overnight stops in Old Forge, and
Lake Placid. Then across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT, and back to NYC.
That was a tough trip as my wife was not doing well and was mobility
restricted to her wheelchair. It is time I made another trip back East.

Savageduck

Old July 30th 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/29/2017 8:48 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
Sadly, the use of exaggerations is becoming politically correct. I spent
my working life taking words for their literal meaning, and see no
reason to change.

And I spent my working life as a linguist, where literal translations
were apt to be laughable. I translated /meanings/ .

When you are translating between two cultures, the meaning of the words
must be resolved. When an issue arises between two from the same
culture, the standard is that he mean what he said, when he said it,
otherwise he would not have said it. If an Eastern European woman is
accused of stealing a chicken says: "II stole a chicken?" That statement
is not exactly a confession.

--
PeterN