See Nikon? Clasping hands over ears and repeating, "I can't hear, I can't hear..." only works for so long

Old June 17th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default See Nikon? Clasping hands over ears and repeating, "I can't hear, I can't hear..." only works for so long

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:13:22 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

Android:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...70615_162545.j
pg

It's OK if you can stand the perspective distortion. Otherwise you
need a wider angle lense.

The perspective distortion comes with the 22mm focal length
equivalence... A wider lense gives you more distortion.

The perspective distortion comes from the lense being pointed up and
to the right of the building. If the lense was pointed horizontall the
perspective distortion would be much less and could be corrected by
geometrical corrections built into Photoshop and LightRoom etc. This
is not to be confused with lense distortion.

Yup. And perspective distortion is a traditional and respected tool to
make a point on the nature of the subject.

Mainly because until the advent of digital photography it was not
possible to do anything much about it.

Eric Stevens
Old June 17th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 21:29:55 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 05:39:33 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:35:38 +0200 (GMT+02:00), android
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:55:33 +1000, Noons
wrote:

On 13/06/2017 5:08 @wiz, wrote:

I've seen those discussions about 4/3 vs other sizes, and it's all
nonsense that a4/3 sensor, which is only slightly smaller than an
APS-c sensor, can't produce great images. If you can't get great
images out of an Oly e-M1 I, give up.

Aye, same here. I used a D200 Nikon for many years.
And a 7200 for less. Now I use exclusively m4/3 (a em5MII and a Em1)
and quite frankly the m4/3 stuff beats the crap off everything else!

Honestly, I recently made a big print (3' x 4') for a friend, and it
looks stellar. I have no need for a larger and heavier system. Anyone
who claims that they can't get good images out of m4/3 probably
wouldn't be able to get good images out of a Nikon D810, either.

But hey, to each his/her own. If someone enjoys shooting a Leica M9 to
get snapshots of their kid's birthday party, have at it.

Small sensors are great for OTG sketches. Your phone is your pal
here... Sample from the Xperia M4 edited in PS for
Android:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jkewtuovl0y0vxz/PSX_20170615_162545.jpg

It's OK if you can stand the perspective distortion. Otherwise you
need a wider angle lense.

The perspective distortion comes with the 22mm focal length
equivalence... A wider lense gives you more distortion.

The perspective distortion comes from the lense being pointed up and
to the right of the building. If the lense was pointed horizontall the
perspective distortion would be much less and could be corrected by
geometrical corrections built into Photoshop and LightRoom etc. This
is not to be confused with lense distortion.

Here is a previously published example of an image showing much the
same perspective distortion as the one under discussion (except that
it is more or less symetrical)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgfbskbe4c...941-2.jpg?dl=0 and
her is the effect of correcting the perspective distortion.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dku87csvth...00941.jpg?dl=0

You will see that correcting the perspective distortion pinches in the
bottom of the photograph, which is why I said you need a wider lense
to capture a greater expanse of the foreground.

That photograph was taken on a 24mm full frame lens.

Eric Stevens
Old June 17th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-06-16 23:26:39 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:13:28 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:10:06 +0200, android wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Jun 15, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On 13/06/2017 5:08 @wiz,
wrote:

[...]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...X_20170615_162
545
.jp

It's OK if you can stand the perspective distortion. Otherwise you
need a wider angle lense.

The perspective distortion comes with the 22mm focal length
equivalence... A wider lense gives you more distortion.

There is always a way to fix that sort of thing, starting with having
things
straight when you take the shot, and then not adding a silly digital frame
when you process.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58hr7r3k0cgtewf/android-picC.jpg

I can do stuff like that too but I surely think that my original was way
better! :-))

Arty - like?

I don't that SD's attempt of key stoning that file was a mega success...

He could have done more if he had put more time into it.

Yup!

But even then, what he can do is limited by the original.

A more emphatic yup!

Savageduck

Old June 17th 17, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 16/06/2017 14:13, android wrote:
[] This was as stated a sample of that on the go snaps and scetches can
readily be made with a phone (Xperia M4). No need for MILCs with silly
small sensors... This one has a 22/2.0 fullframe equivalence lense and I
don't think that many smart phones comes with wider ones. I would have
moved a meter or so back if this had been a serious picture but that
would have been way to good for you...

On mirrorless you may well have a panorama mode providing a wider angle
of view. Agreed that further back would have been better, if it were
possible.

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 18th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:10:06 +0200, android wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Jun 15, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On 13/06/2017 5:08 @wiz,
wrote:

[...]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/.../PSX_20170615_
162
545
.jp

It's OK if you can stand the perspective distortion. Otherwise you
need a wider angle lense.

The perspective distortion comes with the 22mm focal length
equivalence... A wider lense gives you more distortion.

There is always a way to fix that sort of thing, starting with having
things
straight when you take the shot, and then not adding a silly digital
frame
when you process.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58hr7r3k0cgtewf/android-picC.jpg

I can do stuff like that too but I surely think that my original was way
better! :-))

Arty - like?

I don't that SD's attempt of key stoning that file was a mega success...

He could have done more if he had put more time into it. But even
then, what he can do is limited by the original.

The original was as intended and that edit was not very good.
--
teleportation kills
Old June 18th 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:13:22 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

Android:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...20170615_16254
5.j
pg

It's OK if you can stand the perspective distortion. Otherwise you
need a wider angle lense.

The perspective distortion comes with the 22mm focal length
equivalence... A wider lense gives you more distortion.

The perspective distortion comes from the lense being pointed up and
to the right of the building. If the lense was pointed horizontall the
perspective distortion would be much less and could be corrected by
geometrical corrections built into Photoshop and LightRoom etc. This
is not to be confused with lense distortion.

Yup. And perspective distortion is a traditional and respected tool to
make a point on the nature of the subject.

Mainly because until the advent of digital photography it was not
possible to do anything much about it.

Sure it was. You tilted the enlargers head and such if you *wanted* some
keystoning...
--
teleportation kills
Old June 18th 17, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Soo... I can take great pictures with my phone within its limitations
but right now my fave is my 1D2.

A 1DMkII? It's a frigging antique and its sensor is 10 years behind in
technological terms. An you criticize current m4/3rds???!

Those pixels are fat... ;-)

fat pixels are needed for fat people.

fat people don't fit into thin pixels, even though they try to convince
themselves they do.
Old June 18th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Soo... I can take great pictures with my phone within its limitations
but right now my fave is my 1D2.

A 1DMkII? It's a frigging antique and its sensor is 10 years behind in
technological terms. An you criticize current m4/3rds???!

Those pixels are fat... ;-)

fat pixels are needed for fat people.

fat people don't fit into thin pixels, even though they try to convince
themselves they do.

The 1D2 are good for people with big, in the wide way hands too but it's
really very smooth to use.
The price is right about now for those that want to ad the experience to
have use some really pro gear to the sac. I usually use the Ms (EOS and
Xperia) for convenience though...
--
teleportation kills
Old June 19th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 06:13:55 +0200, android wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:10:06 +0200, android wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Jun 15, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On 13/06/2017 5:08 @wiz,
wrote:

[...]

Then that gets back to my original comment: "It's OK if you can stand