waterproof camera

Old May 29th 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default waterproof camera

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:26:56 PM UTC-4, m-m wrote:
-hh wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.

It does depend on what one is comparing it to. In any event, I take
my comment based on another UW photographer earlier this month,
who had actually added a second camera onto his setup, just to
shoot stills. He's the one who explained GoPro was fine for video,
but didn't cut it for still as far as he was concerned.

Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Shot under "Sunny 16" conditions ... not a hard shot
that really tests limits, so what's really your point?

The reality is that having plenty of light has been "easy" for digital
cameras for well over a decade, particularly when the output is
for viewing as a JPEG on a webpage.

Case in point, handheld on a bouncing diveboat with 2003 technology:

http://huntzinger.com/photo/2004/little_cayman/square_grouper.jpg
(Canon A80 @ ISO 50; f/6.3 & 1/500sec)

-hh
Old May 29th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m-m

-hh wrote:

[...]

I guess I was just referring to the resolution and detail capture. Of
course it will not give you anything that requires a larger apeture.

--
m-m
www.mhmyers.com
Old May 29th 17, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Why are the pools enclosed? (mosquitoes?).

Wide angle allows pretty long shutter period w/o showing vibration or
shake. Many drones have very good stabilization for their small cameras
- pair that up and drones get remarkably stable and sharp images.

GoPros are adventure/sports camera and pretty limited in their abilities
overall. For the functionality and against the copycats from Asia, they
are relatively expensive.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Old May 30th 17, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
m-m

In article , Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Why are the pools enclosed? (mosquitoes?).

Definitely bugs but also leaves and other animals and debris that can
get to the pool.
In climates where there is no danger of snow weight, the screens are so
appreciated.

--
m-m
www.mhmyers.com
Old May 30th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 18:49, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 29 May 2017 18:03:43 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Why are the pools enclosed? (mosquitoes?).

If he's looking for a camera that will shoot underwater, the fact that
the pool is enclosed has nothing to do with it. He's not going to be
shooting underwater from a drone.

Can it be Tony that I'm asking a question about the content of the
image. Curiosity and all that? So why are the pools enclosed?

Old May 30th 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 20:36, m-m wrote:
In climates where there is no danger of snow weight, the screens are so
appreciated.

I imagine they reduce the sun load (sun burns) as well ...

Old May 30th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Why are the pools enclosed? (mosquitoes?).

If he's looking for a camera that will shoot underwater, the fact that
the pool is enclosed has nothing to do with it. He's not going to be
shooting underwater from a drone.

Can it be Tony that I'm asking a question about the content of the
image. Curiosity and all that? So why are the pools enclosed?

It's the law here in Florida, and probably in other states. A fence
or a screened-in pool enclosure is required by law. There must be
some barrier between pool and yard to prevent some toddler from
falling in the pool.

So it isn't to keep those Florida alligators out of the pool?

A screened-in pool enclosure allows you to be on the pool deck without
being bothered by mosquitoes and other insects, and prevents a lot of
debris from getting in the pool, but the underlying reason is that
it's a law to have it protected.

The doors to my pool enclosure have handles about 5 feet off the
ground so a child can't open the door.

Tell that to a smart child with an inquiring mind. There is always a way.

Savageduck

Old May 30th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

[...]

My son is a firefighter. A few weeks ago he had the very unpleasant
task of being part of a trio of firefighters wading into a vacant
house's untended pool with completely black water to retrieve the body
on a young boy.

The pool was enclosed, but the screening was falling out in several
places. Evidently, the boy had followed his dog into the pool area.

That is a sad story.

It also leaves a whole bunch of unanswered questions that I could think
of, but I am not there, or privy to all the elements of the incident,
or the local sensitivities.

Savageduck

Old May 30th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 30, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In ,
-hh
wrote:

[...]

Dunno what questions you have,

Just the musings of an old cop.
It is always good to know all the W’s; who, what, when, where, and why.

but - in Florida - firefighters are
first responders for accidents.

As they are in California.

My son is a firefighter/paramedic, so
it's firefighters who take calls like this.

As they would in California.

If the questions are about liability of the homeowner, I can't answer
them.

That was not what I was thinking of, but I am sure there will be questions of
that variety which will be eventually raised.

I didn't see any follow-up in the newspaper that covered this,
and my son wasn't involved after being called to the scene.

I wouldn’t have expected him to be involved beyond his incident report.

All that's known is that the house was a rental unit that was vacant,
and the boy was just a neighborhood kid.

As I said, a sad story.

I just can’t imagine that a “black water” pool would have been very
tempting for anybody, let alone a young boy to play in, especially when he
was just following his dog onto the property. I also think that there is an
issue regarding the property owner/landlord finding a new tenant with a badly
maintained pool and pool security. I suspect that there is where any
liability might be found.

Savageduck

Old May 30th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-05-29 15:26, m-m wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG

Why are the pools enclosed? (mosquitoes?).

If he's looking for a camera that will shoot underwater, the fact that
the pool is enclosed has nothing to do with it. He's not going to be
shooting underwater from a drone.

Can it be Tony that I'm asking a question about the content of the
image. Curiosity and all that? So why are the pools enclosed?

It's the law here in Florida, and probably in other states. A fence
or a screened-in pool enclosure is required by law. There must be

Sure. Here too. I'm more interested in the complete surrounding.

some barrier between pool and yard to prevent some toddler from
falling in the pool.

A screened-in pool enclosure allows you to be on the pool deck without
being bothered by mosquitoes and other insects, and prevents a lot of
debris from getting in the pool, but the underlying reason is that
it's a law to have it protected.

The underlying legal reason doesn't require full covering - just a
compliant fence, doors, latches, etc.

It's the top cover I was most interested in.