Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

Old May 13th 17, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article , -hh
wrote:

And you're right about the Ecktachrome "look": sure, in theory it
should be able to be duplicated, but that's not necessarily a trvial task.

Doubly so for the specialty UW Ecktachrome that Kodak made for a few
years, where one had to add a filter to your strobe.

it doesn't matter how trivial it is, only that it's possible, which it
is.

And sunbursts are still not as good/easy with digital vs film, as the
(non)linearity
aspects of the two are *quite* different...and not something all that recoverable in post.

since digital has a wider dynamic range than film, there's less to
recover, if anything.
Old May 13th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/13/2017 8:24 AM, -hh wrote:
PeterN wrote:
In my diving days, I used a Nikkormat in a housing with a 20mm lens, and

a housed strobe.

IIRC, the Nikonos V was circa 1977 (40th anniversary this year?), so stuff
earlier than that is really quite ... vintage!

I guess that was FF, and I had a lot of fun. For all

practical purposes there is a very little chance that I will get wet
again. I do miss that blue Ecktachrome look.

Yes, 35mm film would've considered FF. Coincidentally, a guy on the
boat just yesterday had an old Nikonos V with the Nikkor 15mm and the
(Replacemeant for the SB-103) SB-105 strobe...he thinks he got a nice
shot of a fat blacktip...mine came out a bit too dark/blue, as the modern
digital stuff isn't as condusive to default settings (particularly focus),
which can/does result in shutter AF lag.

And you're right about the Ecktachrome "look": sure, in theory it
should be able to be duplicated, but that's not necessarily a trvial task.
Doubly so for the specialty UW Ecktachrome that Kodak made for a few
years, where one had to add a filter to your strobe.

And sunbursts are still not as good/easy with digital vs film, as the (non)linearity
aspects of the two are *quite* different...and not something all that recoverable in post.

-hh

I don't think I ever got the quintessential UW sunburst.

--
PeterN
Old May 13th 17, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Nospam wrote:
, -hh wrote:
And you're right about the Ecktachrome "look": sure, in theory it
should be able to be duplicated, but that's not necessarily a trvial task.

Doubly so for the specialty UW Ecktachrome that Kodak made for a few
years, where one had to add a filter to your strobe.

it doesn't matter how trivial it is, only that it's possible, which it is.

Try reading again: I said it was *not* trivial. Which also means that a trade-off
decision is merited, such as to decide to forego digital with extensive post-processing
just to try to replicate what was very easy with film.

And sunbursts are still not as good/easy with digital vs film, as the
(non)linearity aspects of the two are *quite* different...and not something
all that recoverable in post.

since digital has a wider dynamic range than film, there's less to
recover, if anything.

Nope. "Wider than film" doesn't cut it, as the scene still has more DR than
what even today's best digital can address, which is why the non-linearity
of film plays a factor in affording more forgiveness.

This overexposing beyond DR on digital is substantially uglier than on film,
and it's been a known issue for years within the UW Pro's.

-hh