Evil Apple caves; agrees to pay almost $1 billion in book price-fixing scam

Old June 20th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Evil Apple caves; agrees to pay almost $1 billion in book price-fixing scam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

and since there are multiple big chains, the prices remain competitive.

wrong.

It's right in this part of the world.

if there are two or more chain stores in a given area, they will
compete against each other.

if they collude to fix prices, they are engaging in illegal activities.
Old June 20th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/19/2014 7:30 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

and since there are multiple big chains, the prices remain competitive.

wrong.

It's right in this part of the world.

Good for you. I have the old fashioned belief that service is a
component of competition.

sometimes it is, but most of the time it doesn't matter.

To you. Could it be that your time has no value.
I see you know as much about retailing, as you do about economics.

there is no service needed to buy most products. you grab it off the
shelf and pay the cashier, the latter of which is also going away with
self-pay.

How little you know

Try and get an after hours delivery from a chain.
Try and get a chain to stay open for five minutes longer, because you
are caught in traffic, and the script is urgently needed.
If they don't have what you need in stock, a chain may make you wait for
several days. My local pharmacist understands the downfalls of timely
delivery of med, and acts accordingly. If two generics I take are
similar in looks, he will make sure that he gets them for me from a
different source. The local CVS & Walgreens charge the same price for
OTC, in many cases more than my local guy, in other cases not
significantly lower.

not enough people want that to matter.

And the source of your survey is?

--
PeterN
Old June 20th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

and since there are multiple big chains, the prices remain competitive.

wrong.

It's right in this part of the world.

if there are two or more chain stores in a given area, they will
compete against each other.

if they collude to fix prices, they are engaging in illegal activities.

something thaat rarely happens. /end sarcastic tag

--
PeterN
Old June 20th 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Try and get an after hours delivery from a chain.
Try and get a chain to stay open for five minutes longer, because you
are caught in traffic, and the script is urgently needed.
If they don't have what you need in stock, a chain may make you wait for
several days. My local pharmacist understands the downfalls of timely
delivery of med, and acts accordingly. If two generics I take are
similar in looks, he will make sure that he gets them for me from a
different source. The local CVS & Walgreens charge the same price for
OTC, in many cases more than my local guy, in other cases not
significantly lower.

not enough people want that to matter.

And the source of your survey is?

look at the world around you, for a change.

for every pharmacy like the one you describe, there are dozens and
dozens that are either a chain or owned by a chain.

if consumers wanted the type of pharmacy that you describe, then there
would be more of them. they don't, so there aren't.

plus, people are getting medications online anyway so there's no need
to even be *in* traffic, let alone get stuck in it, which is nothing
more than bad planning anyway.
Old June 20th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/19/2014 9:54 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I suspect most want it, but many cannot afford it.

plus, people are getting medications online anyway so there's no need
to even be *in* traffic, let alone get stuck in it, which is nothing
more than bad planning anyway.

In the real world a lot of people need meds the same day. Also, online
pharmacies will not call a doctor, or check your meds for
contraindications with other prescribed meds. Yes mistakes do occur. I
don't want to be able to pursue a med-mal lawsuit. I don't want the
problem.

--
PeterN
Old June 20th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/20/2014 6:00 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

The generic drugs are usually cheaper and supermarket chains cheaper still.
A local pharmacy is unlikely to carry generic asprin that are cheaper than the supermarkets generic asprin.

I pay my local guy more, just to help keep him in business. Same with
my local hardware store. Furtunately, enough people in my area feel as I do.

--
PeterN
Old June 22nd 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

which is why there are so few. you're proving my point.

plus, people are getting medications online anyway so there's no need
to even be *in* traffic, let alone get stuck in it, which is nothing
more than bad planning anyway.

In the real world a lot of people need meds the same day.

then they need to not leave 5 minutes before closing.

Also, online
pharmacies will not call a doctor, or check your meds for
contraindications with other prescribed meds. Yes mistakes do occur. I
don't want to be able to pursue a med-mal lawsuit. I don't want the
problem.

nothing prevents them from doing that if there was sufficient demand.
Old June 22nd 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The generic drugs are usually cheaper and supermarket chains cheaper still.
A local pharmacy is unlikely to carry generic asprin that are cheaper than
the supermarkets generic asprin.

I pay my local guy more, just to help keep him in business. Same with
my local hardware store. Furtunately, enough people in my area feel as I do.

not enough for it to be widespread.
Old June 22nd 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/21/2014 7:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The generic drugs are usually cheaper and supermarket chains cheaper still.
A local pharmacy is unlikely to carry generic asprin that are cheaper than
the supermarkets generic asprin.

I pay my local guy more, just to help keep him in business. Same with
my local hardware store. Furtunately, enough people in my area feel as I do.

not enough for it to be widespread.

then move, but not to my neighborhood, please.

--
PeterN
Old June 22nd 14, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Your understanding of the real world is severly lacking.

Also, online
pharmacies will not call a doctor, or check your meds for
contraindications with other prescribed meds. Yes mistakes do occur. I
don't want to be able to pursue a med-mal lawsuit. I don't want the
problem.

nothing prevents them from doing that if there was sufficient demand.

Except their indifference to professional responsibility. Are you
actually defending them, or just being argumentative.

--
PeterN