Sony a900 and Hasselblad lens adaptor

Old May 29th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony a900 and Hasselblad lens adaptor

Received it today. (Fotodiox, $45, Hasselblad "V" lens adaptor to
Minolta/Sony A-mount).

Initial tests are good, however, the intelligent preview of the Sony
a900 does not work (get an error message). Too bad as the intelligent
preview is a great way to check and adjust exposure before committing to
shots.

TTL metering works fine of course with the stop down on the lens.

Hand held shots are clumsy with the CF lens as the aperture control is
right handed on the lens. No big deal as I'll be using this mainly on
the tripod.

Focusing is not easy (with the 80 f/2.8).

Need to go shoot some real subjects.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 29th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Received it today. (Fotodiox, $45, Hasselblad "V" lens adaptor to
Minolta/Sony A-mount).

Initial tests are good, however, the intelligent preview of the Sony a900
does not work (get an error message). Too bad as the intelligent preview
is a great way to check and adjust exposure before committing to shots.

And you can't be wasting those digital shots now can we............ ;-)

Old May 29th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 16:47, Pete D wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
Received it today. (Fotodiox, $45, Hasselblad "V" lens adaptor to
Minolta/Sony A-mount).

Initial tests are good, however, the intelligent preview of the Sony a900
does not work (get an error message). Too bad as the intelligent preview
is a great way to check and adjust exposure before committing to shots.

And you can't be wasting those digital shots now can we............ ;-)

It's not like I lament not keeping incident/spot measurements taken with
a hand held meter either...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Rich wrote:
On May 29, 3:36 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
Received it today. (Fotodiox, $45, Hasselblad "V" lens adaptor to
Minolta/Sony A-mount).

Initial tests are good, however, the intelligent preview of the Sony
a900 does not work (get an error message). Too bad as the intelligent
preview is a great way to check and adjust exposure before committing to
shots.

TTL metering works fine of course with the stop down on the lens.

Hand held shots are clumsy with the CF lens as the aperture control is
right handed on the lens. No big deal as I'll be using this mainly on
the tripod.

Focusing is not easy (with the 80 f/2.8).

Need to go shoot some real subjects.

Maybe you can settle the argument over whether all medium format
lenses are optically inferior to 35mm lenses?

well, I have two different Kiev/Pentacon Six adaptors for Alpha on the
900 - one shift, one tilt - and two lenses, one Russian 80mm and one
Jena 50mm f/4.

The results are impeccably sharp when used sensibly (2 stops down).
Hasselblad glass should be another order better.

David
Old May 30th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 21:01, David Kilpatrick wrote:
Rich wrote:
On May 29, 3:36 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
Received it today. (Fotodiox, $45, Hasselblad "V" lens adaptor to
Minolta/Sony A-mount).

Initial tests are good, however, the intelligent preview of the Sony
a900 does not work (get an error message). Too bad as the intelligent
preview is a great way to check and adjust exposure before committing to
shots.

TTL metering works fine of course with the stop down on the lens.

Hand held shots are clumsy with the CF lens as the aperture control is
right handed on the lens. No big deal as I'll be using this mainly on
the tripod.

Focusing is not easy (with the 80 f/2.8).

Need to go shoot some real subjects.

Maybe you can settle the argument over whether all medium format
lenses are optically inferior to 35mm lenses?

Maybe you can stop posting from gmail and I'll see your posts?

Yes, that test is one that I want to do. But since I don't have "all
medium format lenses" I can't be very exhaustive.

I took a grab shot of my son today that was slightly OOF, but the detail
of the veins in his ear was startling where it was in focus. Another
shot of my SO showed remarkable detail in her eyes - including
reflections of the place mats on the dining room table...

Controlled tests to follow.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 30th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 29-05-09 21:01, David Kilpatrick wrote:
Rich wrote:
On May 29, 3:36 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
[...]

TBD. I'll be shooting the 80mm f/2.8 (Sonar), 120 f/4 Makro (CF) and
the 150 f/4 Sonar.

Minolta lenses will be the 100 f/2.8 macro, the Sony 135 f/1.8 (Carl
Zeiss) and the 50 f/1.7. Too bad I sold the 300 f/2.8.

There is a 25 Mpix Hasselblad compatible phase one back available used
in Toronto... alas $10,000...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.