What size defines the move to Medium Format?

Old April 19th 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

Default What size defines the move to Medium Format?

I have read in quite a few places that Large Format is defined as a
exposable film area of 100 square cm or more. If so then what is the
switch point from std/samll (35mm ect) format to Medium Format.

Just curious.

Rob.

Old April 19th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Rob B" wrote in message
I have read in quite a few places that Large Format is defined as a
exposable film area of 100 square cm or more. If so then what is the switch
point from std/samll (35mm ect) format to Medium Format.

Just curious.

Film size. Basically, anything greater than 35m and smaller than 4x5.
Medium format is commonly deemed to be 120 or 220 film these days. In days
past, 70mm, 620, and 127 film were also included. So switch point strictly
speaking is 127 or 4x4 film, obtainable nowadays from places like B&H
Photo..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_format_(film)

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/photo-...d=Mediumformat

Old April 19th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Rob B wrote:
I have read in quite a few places that Large Format is defined as a
exposable film area of 100 square cm or more. If so then what is the
switch point from std/samll (35mm ect) format to Medium Format.

I've never heard that definition.

35mm comes to 8.64 cm^2.

These days 120/220 film would be the most common MF films shooting
anywhere from 6x4.5 through 9x6 (cm).

645 comes to about 23cm^2 and 6x9 to about 48 cm^2.

OTOH, MF digital cameras have sensors as small as 48x36 (or thereabouts).

The new Leica S2 would be a "MF" with a sensor size of 30x45mm.

Not sure where LF begins, but the smallest cameras seem to be 4x5 (in)
(129 cm^2) - many of these cameras do have adaptors for 120/220 film as
well.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 23rd 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Knoppow

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in
message ...

"Rob B" wrote in message
I have read in quite a few places that Large Format is
defined as a exposable film area of 100 square cm or more.
If so then what is the switch point from std/samll (35mm
ect) format to Medium Format.

Just curious.

Film size. Basically, anything greater than 35m and
smaller than 4x5. Medium format is commonly deemed to be
120 or 220 film these days. In days past, 70mm, 620, and
127 film were also included. So switch point strictly
speaking is 127 or 4x4 film, obtainable nowadays from
places like B&H Photo..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_format_(film)

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/photo-...d=Mediumformat

There has never been a formal demarcation. At one time
4x5 was considered medium format because large format was at
least 5x7 and even that was sometimes considered a medium
size. Commercial studios used mostly 8x10 and occasionaly
11x14 the latter especially for advertising illustration.
Currently I will agree with the above: anything larger than
35mm double-frame but less than 4x5 is medium format.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA