Getting into large format photography

Old December 2nd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester

Default Getting into large format photography

"biznets" wrote

What make and model of a large format camera would you recomend for a
young student wishing to take his first steps into this format?

How young? My first thought is a used Tachihara field camera, or a similar
Wista, or anything like that. They're lightweight and easy to use. As long
as the bellows is in good shape and it's otherwise lighttight, a field
camera is very serviceable for most any situation. A used lens of no more
than 210mm would be a good start, and I'd recommend the 210 itself.

Old December 4th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

What make and model of a large format camera would you recomend for a
young student wishing to take his first steps into this format?

My son is 18 and still at college, he is on a budget but I will
buying the camera and lens, he intends to buy anything else needed
within reason

Let's narrow the criteria so that we can focus our search.

Price range? For example, right now on eBay are several 4x5 view cameras
for between $295 to $399, each acceptable.

In fact, there is a beautiful single-rail Sinar F for only $295. Ebay
item 140283020035. IMHO that is the best buy there right now.

If you son is going to hike or carry a camera in a backpack, then a
field camera might be better, but they are more expensive. OTOH, I have
carried a single-rail camera in the woods quite often and I've been 16
years-old four times.

(A field camera folds into itself for compact storage.)

Besides the camera, he will need a loupe (magnifier to examine the
ground glass) and film holders.

So,if we can narrow this down a bit I'd be glad to help.
Field camera (~1500 - $900)
Other ($300-$400)
Old December 5th 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi

"John J" wrote in message

[...]

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy, quick to
use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on the bay. And
they (usually) come with a simple robust semi wide lens. either 127.135, or
some times 150.

There is more to LF image making than a camera.and the Crown due to it's
inherent simplicity will allow the mind to contemplate other things like
image construction, and what he's going to do in the darkroom. There is
little chance he will be over whelmed by technical complexities and If he so
chooses can expand into the bottomless morass of the LF camera world when he
is ready. The crown will no doubt be kept as with so many photographers for
the times when a simple carry camera is needed.

Don't worry I too poo pooed the crown, till I got one then I saw what every
one was going on about. And even with several other press / field models the
crown is a keeper. Just for referance, my prefered tools of choice are the
Sinar range and the MMP VIII for travel.= Otzi

Old December 5th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

otzi wrote:

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy, quick to
use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on the bay. [...]

I did not mention the Graphics because I thought that the user was a
student who would need it for a class, and for LF that always means a
camera with generous movements, which the Graphic does not have.

Anywho - Yes, of one does not need such, then there are quite a few good
deals on Graphics right now!
Old December 5th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 12/5/2008 5:20 AM John J spake thus:

otzi wrote:

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy, quick to
use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on the bay. [...]

I did not mention the Graphics because I thought that the user was a
student who would need it for a class, and for LF that always means a
camera with generous movements, which the Graphic does not have.

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic, specifically on
eBay (where I got mine). And no, it's doesn't have "generous movements",
but a beginning student can do just fine with its stingy movements (it
does have limited front rise and back-tilt). No need for the newbie to
contort their field camera into a pretzel. The Crown'll do just fine as
a starter camera. (Assuming a good lens: I'd go for the 127mm Ektar
found on so many of them.)

- Paulo Freire
Old December 6th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

otzi wrote:

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy,
quick to use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on
the bay. [...]

I did not mention the Graphics because I thought that the user was a
student who would need it for a class, and for LF that always means a
camera with generous movements, which the Graphic does not have.

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.
Old December 6th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 12/5/2008 8:54 PM John J spake thus:

otzi wrote:

May I venture a look at the Crown Graphic. Bog simple, light, easy,
quick to use, robust, easy to repair, and there are lots and lots on
the bay. [...]

I did not mention the Graphics because I thought that the user was a
student who would need it for a class, and for LF that always means a
camera with generous movements, which the Graphic does not have.

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

Not necessarily; how likely do you think it is that a beginning
photography student would be given an assignment requiring movements? I
ask this out of genuine curiosity, as I'm not up on current photo curricula.

- Paulo Freire
Old December 6th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester

"John J" wrote

I too second the emotion of looking for a Crown Graphic,

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned to
a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

I agree with you, John. I think it's foolish to spend time and money with a
camera that is so comparatively limited, when he could spend the same amount
or maybe a little bit more on something that can satisfy his requirements
for years to come. (I could be wrong about the overall costs, but you get
the idea.) To me, "large format" means a camera with reasonably substantial,
workable movements -- not just that it uses film that is 4x5" or larger.
What could he learn with a camera with restrictive movements? Not
recommended for a beginner. On the other hand, I would recommend a Crown or
equivalent for a *seasoned* LF photographer to use as a *secondary* camera
due to its relative portability - a portable camera that uses large size
film.

Old December 6th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/5/2008 8:54 PM John J spake thus:

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

Not necessarily; how likely do you think it is that a beginning
photography student would be given an assignment requiring movements?

The chance is 100% because the class I was thinking of is The View
Camera. Seriously, it is a specific class. For the other photo
courses here most everyone uses a digital auto-everything.
Old December 6th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Howard Lester wrote:
"John J" wrote

[...]

I respect the Graphics for what they can do well. Occasionally I will
use a Super Techika for a hand-held shot. If one wants the most simple
LF with no movements, then something like the Printex with the Kalart
rangefinder is quite reasonable. (Ever seen one? I have a few of them
and can post a picture.)