Apple to cancel Aperture in OSX Yosemite

Old June 28th 14, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Apple to cancel Aperture in OSX Yosemite

http://mashable.com/2014/06/27/apple-retire-aperture-os-x-yosemite/

This sucks big time. I really like Aperture. It's a lot faster and easier
to work with than Lightroom even if it doesn't have as many features.

Moving to Lightroom, there is a number of things that suck:

1. No Faces support. You can't create smart folders/collections based on
people that have been automatically found in the images. BIG downside.

2. No Photo Stream support (for obvious reasons), Adobe Mobile Sync is new
and needs to be manually invoked on the phone end (i.e. launch lightroom on
the iPhone, it doesn't do it in the background like Photo Stream).

3. Creative Cloud - only two activations per application. I have more than
two computers. Aperture is available via the Mac App Store, and I can use
it on any Mac I have.

4. No iPhoto Library support. With Aperture, I could open my entire 85k
photos iPhoto library or work with seperate libraries. Really nice, and
everything worked without messing up iPhoto.

5. Modes! Damn, this is one of the most stupid things Adobe has ever done.
In Aperture, if you have a photo on the screen you can edit metadata,
manage its position in the library and edit the photo without changing
anything. You have three tabs. In Lightroom, you have ro switch between
"modes" which changes the entire interface. It's a really cumbersome way to
work with photos and much less intuitive. And man is it SLOW.

So, I'm sad to see it go.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old June 28th 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-28 08:26:09 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

Don't be too sad, reread the article. It will survive under Yosemite,
there will just be no further development. You should be able to live
with that since there hasn't been any Aperture development since 2010.
Continued support is another matter.

My suggestion is, start exploring LR5 with as less biased eye. You
might be pleasantly surprised.

Savageduck

Old June 29th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-06-28 08:26:09 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

There are plenty of people stuck on 10.6 because they depend on
Rosetta. Maybe you'll just become like them but be "stuck" on 10.9?

Old June 30th 14, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014062807154673423-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

Yes, of course, but knowing Apple, this won't last long. So a plan looking
forward is needed either way. I'll be using Aperture as long as I can, of
course

My suggestion is, start exploring LR5 with as less biased eye. You
might be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, but the points above wasn't very much *bias* if you ask me. 1-4 are
just facts, and 5 is opinion of course.

LR has a more comprehensive feature set, so that's a plus.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old June 30th 14, 07:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

On 2014-06-28 08:26:09 +0000, Sandman said:

Sandman:
[...]

Ah, but Aperture will work on 10.10, it's just that no further development
of the product will be done.

--
Sandman[.net]