4K monitors for image processing

Old June 29th 14, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default 4K monitors for image processing

First of all, is anybody using them, why and how is the experience?

I was thinking of getting one to quickly screen large images or compare
large images side by side. Some questions:

1. What size? I would assume that given the resolution 27" is the
minimum, and 30" even better.
2. Are there good IPS models which are not too heavy, for instance thin
LED-lit ones?
3. How do you connect such a beast to a computer? I read something about
displayports.
A single HDMI port would not suffice? I need no movies, only static
images.
I have a Sony Vaio S15 notebook (with a 1920x1080 screen and a GEForce
640M LE graphics card). I guess the standard monitor output port won't
do it, but there is a docking station with a DVI output. Can this be
connected to a 4K monitor?
--
Alfred Molon

Old June 29th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

First of all, is anybody using them, why and how is the experience?

I was thinking of getting one to quickly screen large images or compare
large images side by side. Some questions:

1. What size? I would assume that given the resolution 27" is the
minimum, and 30" even better.

whatever size you prefer. how much space do you have on your desk? will
you want more than one display?

2. Are there good IPS models which are not too heavy, for instance thin
LED-lit ones?

why does the weight matter? are you going to be moving it a lot?

3. How do you connect such a beast to a computer? I read something about
displayports.

displayport or thunderbolt, preferably multi-stream transport for 60
hz, otherwise you're stuck with 30 hz and that won't be pleasant.

A single HDMI port would not suffice? I need no movies, only static
images.

depends on the computer and won't be higher than 30 hz (could even be
24 hz).

I have a Sony Vaio S15 notebook (with a 1920x1080 screen and a GEForce
640M LE graphics card). I guess the standard monitor output port won't
do it, but there is a docking station with a DVI output. Can this be
connected to a 4K monitor?

no. dual-link dvi is up to 2560x1600, assuming it even has dual-link.

plus, the 4k display doesn't have dvi anyway.