Guess I'll hang on to my Hasselblad V

Old July 16th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Guess I'll hang on to my Hasselblad V

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:08:55 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

You could (have someone) automate it, so it'd be as convenient.

Been there. Done that. Never, again.

You probably should upgrade your old 386, then.

Why do you think pro DSLRs have built-in the option for a high quality
JPEG in the RAW file or to be saved separately outside it?

Because consumer DSLRs offer the same.
Because they already offer JPEG-only in various sizes and
compressions as output. (as do consumer DSLRs)
Because sports shooters can amass serious numbers of shots in
an hour or two and they must be sighted very fast.

There must be a reason, yes?

Sure. It's called "sales".

It's to save time! And like they say, time is money.

It's there not to hurt sales. And if you bought a backend that
doesn't support that, well, why did you? Didn't you know your
own needs?

You often come back to the computer with new 1.000 images?

Quite often.

Most people who have never shot full time, professionally don't realize
how much pros really shoot.

That depends entirely on what the pros shoot --- I imagine
most of the many-images-per-day pros use DSLRs.

For example, since 2006, for just one
client, I shot over 250,000 exposures, wore out two bodies (shutters
failed), and am on my third one. And I only averaged about 3 days a week
shooting for them 9 to 10 months a year.

You probably should rethink whose bodies to buy if your shutters
fail that often. But then you are shooting more than a photograph
per minute all the time through if you do 8 hour days --- and
that's only ~500 shots/day.

... and have the art director and client waiting for you?

Lots of times, they are with you at the shoot.

So your computer is also at the shoot. How about
transferring the images *as they are shot*, using WiFi or
firewire or whatever technology and converting them as they
arrive? That way, no more waiting for slow card readers and
flash memory ... time is money.

Or maybe you should return to your computer more often than
every few days.

However, my guess is there is an embedded JPEG in the RAW, if only a
low res one, for quick image viewing on the digital back's LCD. I have
an old Canon D30 (not 30D) that does that, even though it makes no
mention of such in any official Canon literature.

How slow *is* dcraw -h for your RAWs? And did you try dcraw -e yet?

As I said above: "Been there. Done that. Never, again."

You didn't even *try* to understand what dcraw -e does. Well,
your loss, if your knee jerk reaction forces you to buy a
different backend it's not my problem.

Of course, if you had a backend driven by open source, you
could have asked someone to implement a straight to JPEG
conversion, no problem.

-Wolfgang
Old July 16th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
D. Peter Maus

On 07/16/09 06:22, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

And if you bought a backend that
doesn't support that, well, why did you? Didn't you know your
own needs?

That may be the $64,000 question.