Photoshop effects not available for some images

Old December 1st 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
duh

Default Photoshop effects not available for some images

I've got one or two images, and when I pull them up, I can't use most
of the Effects.

One at least one of them it says I need to rasterize the image first.
Also says the selection area is empty.
I've tried two versions of this image, one a photoshop file, one a tif
file. Still can't use the effects.

Any ideas here? I don't remember vectorizing the image.

Old December 2nd 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

duh wrote:

I've got one or two images, and when I pull them up, I can't use most
of the Effects.

Usually the wrong mode or a different layer or some cockpit error like
that (been there, done that, many times).

One at least one of them it says I need to rasterize the image first.

Sounds like maybe a Type layer is active on an older version of
Photoshop, something like that.

Also says the selection area is empty.

Sounds like you have a selection on an empty layer or maybe trying to
do something on a Type layer that you shouldn't ... type cntrl-d to
Deselect the selection and also check to see what layer is active.

I've tried two versions of this image, one a photoshop file, one a tif
file. Still can't use the effects.

Any ideas here? I don't remember vectorizing the image.

Flatten a copy of the image, make sure you are in RGB mode with 8
bits/channel and you should be able to do anything and everything with
it ... if so, then just back up a step or two and see what the earlier
problem was, but typically it's wrong mode (ie indexed or 16 bit for
certain operations or something similar) or you haven't selected the
layer you think you have or similar.

Bill

Old December 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JimKramer

duh wrote:
I've got one or two images, and when I pull them up, I can't use most
of the Effects.

One at least one of them it says I need to rasterize the image first.
Also says the selection area is empty.
I've tried two versions of this image, one a photoshop file, one a tif
file. Still can't use the effects.

Any ideas here? I don't remember vectorizing the image.

What is the bit depth of your image? Many of the effects won't work if
the bit depth is greater than 8.

Jim

Old December 5th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
duh

JimKramer wrote:
duh wrote:
I've got one or two images, and when I pull them up, I can't use most
of the Effects.

One at least one of them it says I need to rasterize the image first.
Also says the selection area is empty.
I've tried two versions of this image, one a photoshop file, one a tif
file. Still can't use the effects.

Any ideas here? I don't remember vectorizing the image.

What is the bit depth of your image? Many of the effects won't work if
the bit depth is greater than 8.

Jim

Hmmmm...these are mostly TIF's generated from NEF raw files. The NEF
files have 12 bit depth.

I'll check this out. Thanks.

Old December 5th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

duh wrote:

Hmmmm...these are mostly TIF's generated from NEF raw files. The NEF
files have 12 bit depth.

You can set the converter to write out the tiff files as either 8 bits
or 12 bits (the 12 bit files will open in 16 bit mode in Photoshop).
Or you can just convert from 16 bit mode to 8 bit mode in Photoshop.

Many operations remain unsupported in 16 bit mode in Photoshop so this
could be part of the problem. In older versions especially most
filters do not work and you can't do Adjustment Layers or even multiple
layers, if you go back a few revisions.

One at least one of them it says I need to rasterize the image first.
Also says the selection area is empty.

These are two things that are NOT caused by being in 16 bit mode, so I
suspect you may have more than one problem. Probably trying to work on
a text layer or something like that (see my earlier post).

Bill