How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

Old June 20th 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

On 6/19/2014 11:44 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

I use a Nikon D300. I've tried it once when I first got the camera. I
see not a flea fart of a difference in speed, convenience, or effort.
It's about as important as arguing that it is more convenient to
depress the shutter button with your index finger or your second
finger.

I use my thumb on a remote release.
U gotta problem wid dat?

--
PeterN
Old June 21st 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 03:38:01 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Tony Cooper wrote:
It is interesting that you see the instructions for a
two button format using the D300 as "all that", and
would rather go through the menu (which you apparently
view as just plain easy by comparison). And I find the
menu to be "all that", and can do a two button format in
my sleep when I've got the flu.

I don't know what you mean by "all that". I didn't use that
expression that I can remember.

It is not attributed to you as a direct quote, but
rather put in quotes to note that is is a little bit
special.

I understand what "scare quotes" are, but the inclusion was so far
removed from anything I said that the inclusion is misleading.

It does, however, refer specifically to your comments in
another article that I did not reply to.

In Message-ID: you
said:

"I read that in the manual for my D300 and wondered
why anyone would ever bother to go through that. I
format the card using the Menu."

Apparently at that point in time, as well as when you
wrote the article, "that" was "all that" and too complex
to consider.

I don't see how you consider "why anyone would bother" to mean "too
complex". People don't bother to do something that is unnecessary,
redundant, or not worthwhile. Things that are too complex are
difficult to do.

There's a simple way, via menu, to format. It's not complex to use
the button system, but it doesn't offer any significant advantage.
It's not worth the bother of going through it.

That said, I don't consider it *wrong* to do it that way. The only
*wrong* thing is to propose that not doing it this way is wrong.

You argue against yourself. On the one hand you said
option X is the "simple" way and easier that option Y,
but then you claim that option Y is not more complex
than X... a contradiction.

Obviously from the rest of the article I am now replying to
you wish to do a flip flop on that.

Only one part comes close to being worth further commentary:

We might also note that one of the significant
differences between the approaches by Nikon and Canon to
camera operation boils down to catering to exactly that
distinction between different people.

Any choice I would make between Canon and Nikon - if that choice would
present itself - would most certainly not be based on any difference
in the effort of formatting a card.

I thought only nospam would make such a ridiculous claim about the
effort required to format a card.

The fact that Nikon has always tried to provide more
options via mechanical switches while Canon prefers a
menuing system, has been known for at least a decade or
so.

It's both sound engineering and sound marketing, has
nothing to do with poor nospam's lack of perspective, or
yours either.

You have taken the ludicrous position, though, that this one option is
"less effort". The effort required in either way of doing is so
insignificant that it doesn't even rate the description of the word
"effort".

Except I haven't taken that ludicrous position, you are.
You say one is simpler but the other is not more
complex!

What I've actually said is that for *some people* one
way is less complex, and that for "some people" the
other way is less complex.

Not all people are the same. Nikon targets marketing at
one group, and Canon markets to the other group. Both
have a sound marketing strategy, and they do not miss
the fact, as you do, that there actually is a
difference.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
http://www.apaflo.com/
Old June 21st 14, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Tony Cooper wrote:

said:

[...]

Floyd, you really have to stop moving your lips when you read. It
makes you miss words and meaning. I said the menu use is simple. I
said the button system is not complex. I did *not* say that either is
easier.

Now ponder that statement. That which is not complex is simple.

And that which is not simple... is complex.

You can go in circles trying to hide the illogic of what you've
said; but it won't work.

[...]

Ahh, Floyd. I see your problem. You don't understand the difference
between "simple" - which is a description of relative difficulty - and
"simpler" - which is a comparative word. I did *not* use "simpler".

BTW, I would not use "simpler" in any case. If I wanted to express
that thought - which I did not - I would have written "more simple".

Really, Floyd, I am disappointed with your inability to read what is
written. I gave you more credit.

I'm not expecting more from you. You use this sort of
weaseling on a regular basis.

Fact is, you said in very plain words that one method
was simple and the other significantly less so to the
point that you don't want to ever use it.

What I've actually said is that for *some people* one
way is less complex, and that for "some people" the
other way is less complex.

Not all people are the same. Nikon targets marketing at
one group, and Canon markets to the other group. Both
have a sound marketing strategy, and they do not miss
the fact, as you do, that there actually is a
difference.

No, truly I don't. The "button system" is one thing, but this is a
button system *function* that is - in my opinion - one that does not
offer any advantage. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate other
button system functions like the one to change ISI on my D300. That I
do on the fly sometimes, and I do like the convenience of the button
for it.

The format function, though, is one I do long before I have anything
in front of me to photograph.

Round and round in what you hope are tight enough
circles to obfuscate the illogic of what you started
with.

Won't work.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
http://www.apaflo.com/
Old July 3rd 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam