New light meter meter advice

Old September 8th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Default New light meter meter advice

I need to replace my Westonmaster V and invercone. I presume that the
modern Sekonic and Gossen equivalents would be suitable replacements but I
am thinking that something of a more modern design, like a current Sekonic
L-308 would be a good plan, so I could meter flash as well.

I don't photograph every day so I don't see the need to spend out lots of
money on a full bells and whistles meter as I don't think it would be
justified. For that reason, although a spot meter might be nice I don't
think its really worth it.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 8th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gordon Moat

Peter Chant wrote:
I need to replace my Westonmaster V and invercone. I presume that the
modern Sekonic and Gossen equivalents would be suitable replacements but I
am thinking that something of a more modern design, like a current Sekonic
L-308 would be a good plan, so I could meter flash as well.

I don't photograph every day so I don't see the need to spend out lots of
money on a full bells and whistles meter as I don't think it would be
justified. For that reason, although a spot meter might be nice I don't
think its really worth it.

Pete

I investigated and rented a couple different L-308 meters prior to
buying an L-358. I am glad I went with the slightly more expensive
meter. The additional memory and readings options to me make it worth
the price difference. Regarding a size comparision, the L-358 is bigger,
but not much heavier.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old September 9th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Stefan Patric

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:30:36 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

I need to replace my Westonmaster V and invercone. I presume that the
modern Sekonic and Gossen equivalents would be suitable replacements but I
am thinking that something of a more modern design, like a current Sekonic
L-308 would be a good plan, so I could meter flash as well.

I don't photograph every day so I don't see the need to spend out lots of
money on a full bells and whistles meter as I don't think it would be
justified. For that reason, although a spot meter might be nice I don't
think its really worth it.

A couple years ago, I needed to replace my aging Minolta IIIF. (It was my
second one. My first one, after 10 years of use, took a swim in the pool.
:-( ) I had considered the Sekonic 308, too, since all the others that had
flash reading capability were just too big and bulky. And too pricey.

Anyway, I started checking eBay and was able to get a Like New Gossen
Luna-Star F for about $125 US. (The Minolta now is my backup meter.) It
was perfect. Just what I was looking for. Maybe, a Star F would work for
you. Basic meter. Not overly laden with do-dads and features you'll
never use or need.

Stef

Old September 9th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Gordon Moat wrote:

I investigated and rented a couple different L-308 meters prior to
buying an L-358. I am glad I went with the slightly more expensive
meter. The additional memory and readings options to me make it worth
the price difference. Regarding a size comparision, the L-358 is bigger,
but not much heavier.

Any particular reasons? £117 versus £185 on one website which is quite a
difference.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 9th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Stefan Patric wrote:

Anyway, I started checking eBay and was able to get a Like New Gossen
Luna-Star F for about $125 US. (The Minolta now is my backup meter.) It
was perfect. Just what I was looking for. Maybe, a Star F would work for
you. Basic meter. Not overly laden with do-dads and features you'll
never use or need.

Not been able to find much gen - probally there but there are too many
adverts for cases for these meters selling on ebay and the suchlike.
Presumably the two are basic digital meters? Whats the difference between
the Luna Star F and Star F.

Actually I could probally not do too badly by picking up another Weston
Master or Euromaster up on eBay - or one of the modern CdS equivalents.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 9th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gordon Moat

Peter Chant wrote:
Gordon Moat wrote:

I investigated and rented a couple different L-308 meters prior to
buying an L-358. I am glad I went with the slightly more expensive
meter. The additional memory and readings options to me make it worth
the price difference. Regarding a size comparision, the L-358 is bigger,
but not much heavier.

Any particular reasons? £117 versus £185 on one website which is quite a
difference.

Pete

Mostly the flash to ambient percentage, but also memory and averaging
functions. Another benefit is the ability to get a spot metering
attachment for the L-358, though I have yet to purchase one. I will have
to look it up again, though I seem to recall that the L-358 was slightly
more sensitive under very low light conditions, but you might want to
look into that on your own.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old September 10th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Stefan Patric

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:58:35 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

Stefan Patric wrote:

Anyway, I started checking eBay and was able to get a Like New Gossen
Luna-Star F for about $125 US. (The Minolta now is my backup meter.) It
was perfect. Just what I was looking for. Maybe, a Star F would work for
you. Basic meter. Not overly laden with do-dads and features you'll
never use or need.

Not been able to find much gen - probally there but there are too many
adverts for cases for these meters selling on ebay and the suchlike.
Presumably the two are basic digital meters? Whats the difference between
the Luna Star F and Star F.

No difference. Same meter. Just didn't write the "Luna" part.

FYI: The Luna-Star F is no longer made by Gossen. It was replaced by
the Luna-Star F2, which I think has been replaced by the Variosix F2.

Stef
Old September 10th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant

Gordon Moat wrote:

Mostly the flash to ambient percentage, but also memory and averaging
functions. Another benefit is the ability to get a spot metering
attachment for the L-358, though I have yet to purchase one. I will have
to look it up again, though I seem to recall that the L-358 was slightly
more sensitive under very low light conditions, but you might want to
look into that on your own.

Cheers Gordon, nice to know the differences. Given my amount of usage I
have the feeling that I'm better saving the money and using my head to do
those functions. I presume that if you take a flash reading that does not
include a significant proportion of ambient reading?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 10th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Peter Chant wrote:

Cheers Gordon, nice to know the differences. Given my amount of
usage I have the feeling that I'm better saving the money and using
my head to do those functions. I presume that if you take a flash
reading that does not include a significant proportion of ambient
reading?

That's a question that's been bugging me, too. It's been only half-answered.

Does a flash meter measure all the flash (for example, a particularly long
duration flash) or just sample it, presuming a short duration? AND does it
include ambient light? (I'd really like to separate the two readings.)

Old September 10th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, j posted:

Peter Chant wrote:

Cheers Gordon, nice to know the differences. Given my amount of
usage I have the feeling that I'm better saving the money and using
my head to do those functions. I presume that if you take a flash
reading that does not include a significant proportion of ambient
reading?

That's a question that's been bugging me, too. It's been only
half-answered.

Does a flash meter measure all the flash (for example, a particularly
long duration flash) or just sample it, presuming a short duration?
AND does it include ambient light? (I'd really like to separate the
two readings.)

I use a Minolta IV, so it may differ somewhat from the Gossen or Sekonic
models in the particular functions. But, the meter measures the light for
the duration of the shutter speed that you have set and gives an
appropriate aperture to use. For ratios, you'd need to do two separate
readings; one for ambient and one for flash, or for multiple flash heads,
take a reading from each.

Neil