Pictures Storage Device

Old January 30th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Pictures Storage Device

What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?

It costs so much!

Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?

Thanks.

ppp

Old January 30th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ppp wrote:
What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?

It costs so much!

Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?

Thanks.

ppp

It's an great device, both for storage and display. Perhaps you can get
the older P-2000 (40GB disk) a little cheaper?

David

Old January 30th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?

It costs so much!

I just got the P2000 - cheaper but smaller storage. These devices cannot be
compared
to others out there for the quality of the display. However, if you don't
care about
the quality of the display, there are plenty of other choices. If you don't
want any
display at all, then there are many that are much cheaper.

Old January 30th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

http://www.hyperdrive.com

Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
built.

Robert

Old January 30th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:24:36 -0800, in rec.photo.digital ,
"HornBlower" in
wrote:

http://www.hyperdrive.com

Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
built.

Robert

$150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
Old January 31st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Matt Silberstein wrote:

http://www.hyperdrive.com

Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
built.

Robert

$150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

It's the fastest, most power stingy unit on the market. What is not to
like about it? In contrast, there is much to despise about the Epson
offerings:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/stor/p2000-rev.html

While a positive review, note that the CF-HD copy times reported in
the above review are consistent with what I've seen and heard. The
Hyperdrive is, almost literally, an order of magnitude faster. Is the
P-4000 any better?

There is also the important issue of "drive fungibility". That is, you
can not just slap in any old drive you have on hand into the Epson
units willynilly. They must be first prepared by specially trained
Elves at Epson, and that's that. Note that not even the cheapest,
slowest, Vosonic units make this sort of kooky demand.

The one, and perhaps only, nice thing about the Epson unit is that the
display is fantastic. Incredible. Wonderful. But $500-$600 is a
wickedly high price to pay for such.

My advice is to buy a pair of hyperdrives (you need two of these things
for obvious reasons) and look at the pictures when you get home. If
you want to show people pictures, get a Sony PSP -- it's display is
just as good, though the photo-display firmware has a clumsy UI.

Old January 31st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Our $239 with a 60GB drive. That is what I paid for one with free shipping,
free batteries and a free car charger to boot. No tax either.

Robert

"Matt Silberstein" wrote in
message ...

Old January 31st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I don't understand all of the excitment about the Epsons or any of the
others with an LCD screen. It is like using the screen on your camera to
decide if a picture is a keeper or not. You can't tell color, exposure or
even sharpness. The whole point is cheap portable storage not a hand held
slide show. At least it was for me.

Robert

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 31st 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

ppp wrote:
What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?

It costs so much!

Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?

Thanks.

ppp

The P2000 is identical, except that it's 40GB instead of 80GB.

I'm quite happy with my P2000.
Still not cheap, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
I've owned other pricey units like the FlashTrax device, but the P2000/P4000
has no rival. -Miles ahead in every way.

If you're going to spend $700 on the 80GB version though...a $900 laptop
starts to look attractive.
-Mark

Old January 31st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
Matt Silberstein wrote:

[...]

I'm not that impressed with my PSP image display...rather a blurry rendition
compared with the sharp, crispy display on the Epson. Plus, who wants to
buy a 4GB memory stick for $400 bucks just to show images??
If you're going to do that, I'd recomend buying the I-Paq 4705, which has CF
and SD slots built in, and which has a full VGA screen even nicer (bigger)
than the Epson. I have the P2000, the 4705, and the PSP...so I'm speaking
from experience.

BTW, the PSP is NOT 640x480.