LF+scan+print: Case study, with prints

Old January 22nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default LF+scan+print: Case study, with prints

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

What is a "film pixel"? Do you mean a film area the same size as a
single
pixel sensor, or the size of the interpoated area of the sensor (which
would
be 4 pixel sensors in bicubic sampling.)

No, as the measurement is described, it's the number
of absorbed photons in a given area.

Then what is the "given area"? Is it the sensor pixel size?

dmin/Dmax isn't an issue of resolution, but of contrast.

And contrast is a significant factor in acutance (perceived sharpness). Some
folks call it 'micro-contrast' - the perceptive differences in contrast in
small, adjacent areas - as contrasted to smearing differences.

Old January 22nd 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote

But the reality is that it doesn't really matter whether something
generates a signal with one electron, because this is rarely
what makes or breaks it for general photography. In fact, the
quantum efficiency of film is rather low (i.e. only X% of incident
photons actually are detected and produce a signal in the latent
image, where X is ~3%).

It would be more clear if we posted how many photon hits are required for a
specific film. I think you would find 4 photons adequate to describe Tri-X
or similar non T-Grain films.

Further, current consumer photo-technology can't capture a single-photon
hit. Larger wells (like larger grain in film) have a greater S/N ratio.

But again, this has very little to do with general
photography. I would not argue for the superiority of film based
on its ability to detect single photons. nor would I argue for the
superiority of CCDs based on their higher QE. It's just a stupid
flamewar that distracts people from making pictures.

Truly.

Old January 22nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"G- Blank" wrote

News groups are a distraction that keep people from
making pictures.

How true. A simple time-series against some author's posts show they sit at
the keyboard 18 hours a day.

Old January 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:58:29 -0500, G- Blank
wrote:

It's just a stupid
flamewar that distracts people from making pictures.

News groups are a distraction that keep people from
making pictures.

Distraction, yes. But we all need distraction to allow our subconcious
time to absorb what we work on conciously. Art generally springs from
the subconconious. Sometimes it is stimulated by perception.
Perception can be effected by opinion. Opinions are developed by
thought. Here we think. Sometimes ;)

==
John - Photographer & Webmaster
www.puresilver.org - www.xs750.net.
Old January 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:49:16 -0600, "isnot"
wrote:

"G- Blank" wrote

News groups are a distraction that keep people from
making pictures.

How true. A simple time-series against some author's posts show they sit at
the keyboard 18 hours a day.

You have a key-logger on their system ? And they spend all of their
time in the newsgroups ?

==
Old January 22nd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"John" wrote in message

You have a key-logger on their system ? And they spend all of their
time in the newsgroups ?

I have SAS and SPSSX, and am an expert in time-series studies in particular.
It is a no-brainier to copy all their posts and do a simple time series.

Old January 22nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:20:56 -0600, "isnot"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .

You have a key-logger on their system ? And they spend all of their
time in the newsgroups ?

I have SAS and SPSSX, and am an expert in time-series studies in particular.
It is a no-brainier to copy all their posts and do a simple time series.

Project management ? I had to laugh at one of our classes of techs who
was being trainined to support MS Project. Let's just say it was ....
opinionated ;)

==
Old January 22nd 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

isnot wrote:

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

What is a "film pixel"? Do you mean a film area the same size as a
single
pixel sensor, or the size of the interpoated area of the sensor (which
would
be 4 pixel sensors in bicubic sampling.)

No, as the measurement is described, it's the number
of absorbed photons in a given area.

Then what is the "given area"? Is it the sensor pixel size?

100µ^2 for film and 50µ^2 pixels. It's in the quote.

dmin/Dmax isn't an issue of resolution, but of contrast.

And contrast is a significant factor in acutance (perceived sharpness). Some
folks call it 'micro-contrast' - the perceptive differences in contrast in
small, adjacent areas - as contrasted to smearing differences.

Acutance refers to edge sharpness (or contrast,
if you will) not dmin/dmax...
Old January 22nd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"John" wrote in message

I have SAS and SPSSX, and am an expert in time-series studies in
particular.
It is a no-brainier to copy all their posts and do a simple time series.

Project management ? I had to laugh at one of our classes of techs who
was being trainined to support MS Project. Let's just say it was ....
opinionated ;)

No, Moron. SAS and SPSS(X) are the two top statistical analysis tools in
the world. They have nothing to do with "project management" in the terms
you presume.