Looks like I was TOTALLY wrong about the new DREBEL -so far

Old February 18th 05, 11:49 AM
Larry

Default Looks like I was TOTALLY wrong about the new DREBEL -so far

Well, I was wrong about the price.

They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to cost
at least as much as the "20" body.

If it can come even CLOSE to the "20" in low noise high ISO, they have me
sold.

As soon as I've seen some pictures taken by independant users, or Phill at
Dpreview (which ever comes first) I'll make my final decision.

I have been saying, all winter, that I was going to get a DSLR in the spring.

Now that they have put the new Rebel out there I wont have any excuse for
stalling, if its as good as I hope it is.

I had whittled it down to the "20", but if I can get the same (or nearly the
same) performance in a smaller, lighter, less expensive package, I'll go for
the new Rebel.

The kit lens will be fine to start out with, then I'll need a lens that can
cover 60 to 200mm(equivalent) and I'll be home free for most of my shooting
season.

I think I have found a way around the "horse dust" body penetration on a
DSLR, and if it works, I'll be sure to post it here.

Either way, it will be a "new" DRebel, or the "20" that goes into the show
ring with me after the first couple of shows.

As far as the smaller lighter battery is concerned, I'll just get 2 extras
and keep 'em charged and in the pocket of my vest. (got used to doing that
with my Sony 717 and the 828 that came after it, though I cant remember ever
needing a spare with either camera while in the ring.. those L-ion batteries
seem to last FOREVER)

Old February 18th 05, 12:50 PM
Toomanyputters

Sleepless nights over this? Sounds like you have it all figured out. Not
being a professional photographer, I still love my Rebel, and unless
something new can develop 8x10s inside the body, I'll keep what I have. It
all comes down to marketing the product, doesn't it?

T...

Old February 18th 05, 12:58 PM
Skip M

"Larry" wrote in message
T...
[...]

Check out the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, equivalent to 45-215mm at less than
$400 at B&H.
And there was never any doubt that the Rebel XT would retail for less than
the 20D, there's no way Canon was going to produce a camera with fewer
features, less rugged construction, name it the Rebel (consumer/entry level
name) and charge anything like the price of the 20D.
As far as battery usage goes, you'll be surprised at the battery drain of AF
on the larger lenses of a DSLR and, when you add IS to the mix, you'll need
those spares.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old February 18th 05, 04:58 PM
Dave R knows who

"Larry" wrote in message
T...
Well, I was wrong about the price.

They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to
cost
at least as much as the "20" body.

No surprise you were wrong.

Old February 18th 05, 05:04 PM
G.T.

"Larry" wrote in message
T...
Well, I was wrong about the price.

They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to

cost
at least as much as the "20" body.

Why? The lens goes for only $70 at some places.

If it can come even CLOSE to the "20" in low noise high ISO, they have me
sold.

I want to see battery life.

GT

Old February 18th 05, 10:16 PM
Skip M

"Larry" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"Larry" wrote in message
T...
Well, I was wrong about the price.

They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to

cost
at least as much as the "20" body.

Why? The lens goes for only $70 at some places.

If it can come even CLOSE to the "20" in low noise high ISO, they have
me
sold.

I want to see battery life.

GT

Battery life is VERY important, but I never go into the ring withou at
least
2 spares (or sets of spares) for whatever camera I'm carrying.

In an "A" circuit horse show, I cant leave the ring until the horses do,
and
the next class will enter as the ending class exits. If I have to shoot 10
consecutive classes I could be in the ring for quite a long while.

I had avoided the DRebel (and DSLRS in general) because the few times I
used
one in the ring, dirt, dust and crud got into the camera in VERY short
order
even though I hadn't removed or changed a lens. To shorten a long story,
Ive
come up with a cure for THAT problem (I think) and if it works (or even
just
improves the situation) I was going to get a D20 (or is it 20D I never
remember), but for a first DSLR maybe the NEW Rebel is what I need.

Im not too excited about the 8mp (I already shoot @ 5mp with the 8mp Sony
have) but the features the New Rebel has over the OLD Rebel seem to make
it a
less expensive alternative for me.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Trust me, the 8mp on your Sony bears little resemblance to 8mp on a DSLR.
As far as the dust issue, a thought came to me this morning, what if you
used an underwater housing, one of those flexible plastic bag affairs that
divers feel are pretty useless for using with a camera underwater? It
should do pretty good with keeping dust out.

Old February 19th 05, 12:29 AM
Brian Baird

In article sDlRd.32098$xt.21527@fed1read07,
says...
Check out the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, equivalent to 45-215mm at less than
$400 at B&H.

Or buy mine when/if I decide to upgrade to the new Rebel and the 17-85
f/4-5.6 IS USM!
Old February 19th 05, 12:49 AM
Larry

In article 4PtRd.32136$xt.31920@fed1read07, says...
Trust me, the 8mp on your Sony bears little resemblance to 8mp on a DSLR.
As far as the dust issue, a thought came to me this morning, what if you
used an underwater housing, one of those flexible plastic bag affairs that
divers feel are pretty useless for using with a camera underwater? It
should do pretty good with keeping dust out.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

I didn't mean just the Sony, I meant ALL of the so-called Pro-sumer 8mp
cameras. (most of them use the same sensor as the Sony or at least a sensor
MADE by Sony)

I expect the larger sensor on a DSLR to be orders of magnitude better than
anything in any of the 8mp DZLRs or whatever we are calling them this week.

I've used just about all of them and none of them can hold a candle to any of
the 6mp DSLR cameras.

As for the flexible bag, it cant be used reliably around horses. Your flash
wont usually bother them, but the simple rustling of a plastic bag will
either spook them, or make them come running toward you. (they will run
toward you if their owner usuall brings them treats in a plastic bag, like
the ones Carrots come in at the grocers) Horses are VERY strange about
certain things... Plastic bags and cellophane are two of those things.

The fix Im working on is a new sealant we got at my place of work.

It comes out of a dispensor can that LOOKS like a can of "Silly String".

The stuff comes out of the can looking like "silly string" too.

You squirt some out onto a piece of clean waxed paper and wait about 30
seconds. After 30 seconds (at room temperature) you slice off the length you
want and put it over any seam you think dust is getting in through, you put
it all the way around a seam like where the lens meets the camera body. Its
NOT sticky, but it stays where you put it as long as the surface is not oily.

You leave it on the seam, hinge, opening, or whatever (for up to a week after
a week it will just fall off) and when you are done in the dusty atmosphere,
you simply snag it with your finger nail and pull it off. It leaves no
visible residue, and doesn't leave a sticky spot. It acts like a three way
cross between Silly Putty, silly string, and that gunk you can use to post
notes on a wall.

It comes in black, white, and red. (and its VERY expensive, about $60 (us)
for an 8 ounce dispensor).

The product is called "dust seal number 3".

I dont know the manufacturer, as I havent seen the paper work on it, only the
demonstration.

I hate to spend $60 on an experiment, but if it works, it will be worth it.

I've had it on and off a Minolta Maxxum film SLR with several lenses and it
hasnt caused any grief yet.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old February 19th 05, 04:16 AM
Skip M

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

The plastic these are made of is more like that of a collapsible cooler,
rather than a plastic grocery bag. The just make a crumpling noise. The
only one I've ever seen couldn't rustle if you filled it with leaves! G