Toning developer

Old March 12th 04, 09:29 AM
Elia Freddi

Default Toning developer

Hi people!

In these days I'm looking at the different recepies for home made
developer and their effect on the paper. I found that generally
speaking the restrainer can induce a tone in the print - high
percentage of KBr will give a warm toning, benzotriazole a cold one.
Do you have any idea about the mechanism of this toning? In a page (I
forgot the address) I found that the restrainer affect the growth of
the silver grain and for this reason the scattered light can have
different tone, but it sounds a little bit strange to me.
Thanks and bye

Elia Freddi
················································
Old March 14th 04, 05:08 AM
Dan Quinn

Elia Freddi wrote

Hi people!

In these days I'm looking at the different recepies for home made
developer and their effect on the paper. I found that generally
speaking the restrainer can induce a tone in the print - high
percentage of KBr will give a warm toning, benzotriazole a cold one.
Do you have any idea about the mechanism of this toning? In a page (I
forgot the address) I found that the restrainer affect the growth of
the silver grain and for this reason the scattered light can have
different tone, but it sounds a little bit strange to me.
Thanks and bye

Very fine silver in an emulsion is black. Silver plate is, silver.
Very fine gold is purple. I don't think the two "toners" you've
mentioned combine with the silver.
More information on the subject would be interesting but I
would'nt know where to look. Dan
Old March 16th 04, 08:16 AM
John

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:11:09 +0100, Elia Freddi
wrote:

I don't think the two "toners" you've mentioned combine with the silver.

I agree with you, they should have effect only on the action of the
reducer, not on the color of the silver - they are just restrainer.
Just wondering how they can affect the tone.

Finer grained developers produce slightly warmer tones.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old March 18th 04, 02:50 AM
coldlake

Do you have any idea about the mechanism of this toning? In a page (I
forgot the address) I found that the restrainer affect the growth of
the silver grain and for this reason the scattered light can have
different tone, but it sounds a little bit strange to me.

That's right. The difference is in the size of the silver crystals at
a microscopic level produced by different developers. Small, finely
divided crystals reflect brown. Larger ones tend toward black and
blue.