Antarctica print film

Old September 15th 04, 08:05 PM
Gordon Moat

Smitty wrote:

What is E200? Never heard of that one???

It is transparency film (positive film), also sometimes called slide film (like
in 35 mm sizes).

I have found that Kodak 200 print
film is the most grainy film I have ever used. It is about as grainy as 800.
Fuji's 200 is not as bad but it still has more grain than their Superia 400.
Smitty

I rarely ever use colour print films (negative films). However, if you only
want lots of prints from your images, then there is not much advantage to using
positive films.

If you want to learn more about E200, and transparency films, visit:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/e200/e200Index.jhtml

One thing I have been discussing here is that I have found consistent settings
to allow push processing of E200 beyond the ISO 800 that Kodak indicate in
their materials. Unfortunately, Kodak have little interest in advertising that
capability, so it seems that I would need to do my own write-up to share my
information with others. It may take some time, but I promise to do that.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
\Smitty\

Perhaps I did not make my self understood. I shoot mostly chromes. I use
provia 100f, Velvia 50 and 100. E100SW, E100VS and sensia 100. It was the
E200 designator I had never heard of.
Smitty

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...00/e200Index.j

Old September 23rd 04, 10:28 PM
Michael A. Covington

E200 is Kodak Ektachrome 200 Professional, similar to E100G but faster and
grainier and with lower contrast. E100SW is no longer around.

Old September 26th 04, 07:46 PM
Gordon Moat

\"Smitty\" wrote:

Perhaps I did not make my self understood. I shoot mostly chromes.

The comment about Kodak 200 print film threw me off a bit.

I use
provia 100f, Velvia 50 and 100. E100SW, E100VS and sensia 100. It was the
E200 designator I had never heard of.
Smitty

Okay, I have used, or continue to use, all of those. Compared to E200, all are
higher contrast, though not by a great amount. Kodak E200 has less apparent
grain than Provia 100F, though more than any of the other films. Also, some
have mentioned that they though Elite Chrome 200 was the same film, though in
some extensive recent testing, I have found that the colour response
characteristics are not the same.

I was a bit sceptical about E200 initially, though a few other working
photographers kept suggesting I try some. After finally using E200 in 35 mm and
roll film, I really never stopped using it, and now buy more of that than any
other transparency film I use. The only thing I think Kodak could improve would
be even less grain, though I am not sure if they will do that in the future (I
hope).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com Updated!

Old September 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Michael A. Covington

Okay, I have used, or continue to use, all of those. Compared to E200, all
are
higher contrast, though not by a great amount. Kodak E200 has less
apparent
grain than Provia 100F, though more than any of the other films. Also,
some
have mentioned that they though Elite Chrome 200 was the same film, though
in
some extensive recent testing, I have found that the colour response
characteristics are not the same.

What difference did you find? There is of course batch-to-batch variation.
The published specifications are indistinguishable the last time I checked.

I was a bit sceptical about E200 initially, though a few other working
photographers kept suggesting I try some. After finally using E200 in 35
mm and
roll film, I really never stopped using it, and now buy more of that than
any
other transparency film I use. The only thing I think Kodak could improve
would
be even less grain, though I am not sure if they will do that in the
future (I
hope).

I have been told that they are going to do so -- it will be similar to the
upgrade that E100 and Elite Chrome 100 underwent about a year and a half
ago, with very little fanfare. The upgrade *may* catch us unawares.

Please keep me posted if you have any interesting test results from E100,
E200, or their relatives. These are currently the best films for
long-exposure astrophotography.

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington