Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

Old January 13th 18, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

In article , Eco Clean
wrote:

What did I do wrong in following your exact steps?

following them.
Old January 14th 18, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eco Clean" wrote

| 1) I created the above newt.bmp from the powerpointe.
| 2) I installed PSP5.1 as per your link above.
| 3) I opened up "newt.bmp" in PSP5
| 4) I hanged the DPI from 72dpi to 100dpi using
| FilePreferencesGeneralProgramPreferencesRulersA ndUnits
| DefaultResolution = 100 pixels / inch

That probably doesn't do anything. DPI is only
relevant in context. It's confusing. If your monitor
is dispaying 96 DPI and your printer is printing
300 dpi, a 600px wide image will print at about 2"
wide and show onscreen at about 1 screen inch.
That won't change if you change the DPI setting
in PSP.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a44a2679 3d03

| It looks a lot bigger than it should be but maybe it's OK in size.
| I measured the printout to be 8 inches wide (+1/4-inch unprintable
margins)
| so that makes the result 16 inches wide instead of 12 inches
wide.?????????

| Besides, it's only the top left corner, and it has 1/4 inch margins on all
| sides because my printer does not print to the edge of the page.
|
| Why did only the top left corner print?
| How do I get the other 3 corners to print?
| And why is the size completely wrong?

It looks like you're fine, but it's better to print it
with Irfanview. You got the top left because that's
default. You got more than half because the paper
is 8" wide. If in IV you set custom height to 12x18,
IV will lay it out oriented to top left and you should
get the second image you posted. IV has the total
image as 12x18 and it's showing that to you in
terms of how much will fit on an 8x12.

For the next one,
uncheck "centered" in the position section and set
the left to something like -4. That should give you
the top right section. Then do the same for bottom
right and left. You'll end up with 4 sheets that
should look right when you overlay them to make
one piece 12x18.

Are you just printing parts? You didn't cut it
up into 4 pieces and 4 images? I guess that makes
sense, since IV can give you whatever layout you
want. I don't think PSP can do that.
But you will waste ink if you're going to print
all the overlapping parts rather than making 4 images
and printing those.

Old January 14th 18, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eco Clean" wrote

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a35c4149 1ce3

| What did I do wrong in following your exact steps?

See my other post. It looks right to me. Newts
and "official" are centered, no? The right top
corner piece will then overlap.

Old January 14th 18, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Mayayana wrote:

See my other post. It looks right to me. Newts
and "official" are centered, no? The right top
corner piece will then overlap.

You're probably correct on the size being right since it's "more" than 1/2
which is ok (as we have to overlap anyway due to the printer unprintable
1/4-inch margins).

But PSP didn't give any option to print the other three pieces using the
procedure I listed.

So how do I get PSP to print the other 3 "pages"?
Old January 14th 18, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Paul[_10_]

Eco Clean wrote:
- Eco Clean wrote:

And why is the size completely wrong?

Here is a photo of what the paper looks like next to the sign blank.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a35c4149 1ce3

What did I do wrong in following your exact steps?

These projects always seem to take forever.

1) Open LibreOffice Calc.
2) Drop JPG onto spreadsheet.
3) Print

It takes as many pages to print, as the JPG covers up.

The more you scale the pixel count on your JPG, before
you drop it into Calc, the more magnification that results,
the more sheets that are used.

In the example here, you can see my final PDF, and overlaid
in the right pane, is the original "newt warning" sign.

https://s13.postimg.org/9pvx1cbif/newts_in_my_shoes.gif

The original photo is from here. I think the text above
the picture says "what kind of dipping sauce goes good with these?"
At least, that's how I analyze the animal kingdom - are you
sweet and sour, or what ?

http://okinawanaturephotography.com/...1/IMG_1237.jpg

We used to have Salamanders in our city park. A ton of them.
You could turn over a rock and find a couple underneath.
Well, the changing environment got rid of all of them. A hurricane
ripped the park to shreds. The dry conditions when there was
no longer tree cover, eliminated any remaining Salamanders.
And Salamanders only really liked that park. You'd have to go out
into the woods somewhere, to find comparable conditions. The
park had just the right glacial deposits (rough strewn boulders)
plus rich forest tree cover to make a Salamander habitat. At
least I got to see them, before they were gone.

You didn't drive over those, because they were smart enough
to stay in the park.

Paul
Old January 14th 18, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eco Clean" wrote

| So how do I get PSP to print the other 3 "pages"?

Don't use PSP for the printing. It's limited in that respect.
Use IV. But I think it would be better if you can cut up
the quadrants. With the original open in PSP, measure
out 4 equal quadrants, copy those, then Edit - Paste
as new image. You should end up with 4 images about
600x900 each. Save each one separately:

TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp

Then open each in IV and print it, selecting a
size of 6"x9". The result will be 4 pieces that
can be taped together. no overlap.

Old January 14th 18, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Don't use PSP for the printing. It's limited in that respect.
Use IV. But I think it would be better if you can cut up
the quadrants. With the original open in PSP, measure
out 4 equal quadrants, copy those, then Edit - Paste
as new image. You should end up with 4 images about
600x900 each. Save each one separately:

TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp

Then open each in IV and print it, selecting a
size of 6"x9". The result will be 4 pieces that
can be taped together. no overlap.

so much effort for such a simple task.
Old January 14th 18, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Jonathan N. Little wrote:

1) Open LibreOffice Calc.
2) Drop JPG onto spreadsheet.
3) Print

Create in LibreOffice Draw custom size paper, i.e. full scale 12"x18"

Do Tile printing

I'll try Libre Office, but loading the PowerPointe into LibreOffice isn't
as simple as I would have hoped, as I have to edit it tremendously just to
get back where I was before I loaded the PowerPointe into LibreOffice.

[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...308fa9c 6530]

Most likely LibreOffice doesn't respect PowerPointe format, so I have to
start all over in LibreOffice from ground zero.
Old January 14th 18, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10, rec.photo.digital, alt.comp.freeware
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 13, 2018, Mayayana wrote
(in article ):

"Eco Clean" wrote

So how do I get PSP to print the other 3 "pages"?

Don't use PSP for the printing. It's limited in that respect.
Use IV. But I think it would be better if you can cut up
the quadrants. With the original open in PSP, measure
out 4 equal quadrants, copy those, then Edit - Paste
as new image. You should end up with 4 images about
600x900 each. Save each one separately:

TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp

Are you trying to invoke TRUMP?

Then open each in IV and print it, selecting a
size of 6"x9". The result will be 4 pieces that
can be taped together. no overlap.

Savageduck

Old January 14th 18, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| TL.bmp TR.bmp BL.bmp BR.bmp
|
| Are you trying to invoke TRUMP?