String tripod

Old July 24th 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default String tripod

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 19:42:07 -0400, Davoud wrote:

newshound:
It's notable how many "sports" pros who need mobility and long (heavy)
lenses simply go for a monopod. I've never used one myself, but think
about getting one from time to time. No reason it should not work fine
on a compact (especially a superzoom) as long as it is not too heavy,
and is quick and easy to "telescope".

Q. How good is a monopod?

A. One third as good as a tripod.

A monopod is useful for holding the weight of a camera, but it does
nothing to steady a camera. So it's good for providing relief to sports
photographers and others who use heavy lenses, so long as they have
steady hands.

When doing sports photography where the photographer moves around,
it's much quicker to set up to shoot using a monopod than if using a
tripod.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 24th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/23/2018 5:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 23, 2018, newshound wrote
(in ) :

On 22/07/2018 14:57, Johnny wrote:
I have a basic digital compact and use a string tripod to avoid camera
shake.

I usually loop the string round the back of my neck but most advice
sites suggest standing on the string.

Is one of these better than the other for reducing shake?

It's notable how many "sports" pros who need mobility and long (heavy)
lenses simply go for a monopod. I've never used one myself, but think
about getting one from time to time. No reason it should not work fine
on a compact (especially a superzoom) as long as it is not too heavy,
and is quick and easy to "telescope".

A monopod works great for sports photography where support is needed for
heavy long lenses, and the lens/camera is mainly used for lateral/horizontal
panning. It is not as useful when it comes to vertical panning, and can be
quite awkward especially if the target is at a higher, or lower elevation
from the horizontal line of sight. With typical lateral/horizontal panning
the pivot point is the grounded foot of the monopod, and panning to track the
action on a sports field, track, or arena becomes natural and simple. Add to
that, panning motion imparts quite a lot of inertial stabilization, and is a
reason to consider not having OIS/VR turned on with lenses which do not
compensate for lateral panning (some do). Most importantly, since the subject
is in motion, IBIS, and most basic OIS/VR is not going to help, fast glass,
and higher ISO will.

IBIS and/or OIS/VR is only going to be helpful for handheld shooting, and
even there shooting technique is still important.

A monopod is a compromise which provides the sports photographer some
stability for heavy lenses along with a degree of mobility. However, the
monopod is not going to provide the same degree of stabilization as a good
tripod, especially if used with a gimbal head (a much better choice for
airshows, or birds in flight). I have seen some photographers using a monopod
with a gimbal head at airshows especially if they are using heavy lenses.

All true, but if you are shooting at a high ISO and shutter speed, a
monopod is easier to use than a tripod.

--
PeterN
Old July 24th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 23, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

There is a time, and place for the use of either, and if you are shooting
with a 400mm, or 600mm lens all day, and need some mobility to various
shooting positions at an event, a tripod can be awkward. A monopod will
support that weight, but without providing the stability of a tripod. ISO and
shutter speed is actually irrelevant when it comes to choice of support tool.

The problem with a monopod, or a tripod for that matter, is with birds, and
aircraft in flight, particularly when the vertical shooting angle starts to
exceed 30º to directly overhead. Then the monopod just becomes an awkward
encumbrance. Try to aim at a plane or a bird which takes a turn directly
overhead while you are tracking it with a camera/lens combo supported by a
monopod. Some folks will add a ball-head to the monopod, but that is not
always the best solution.

When it comes to gimbal heads, the problem is price, where some can cost more
than the tripod they are mounted on.

I will usually tailor my use of tripod, or monopod to the circumstances of my
shoot, but for the most part, even with my new 100-400mm I will shoot
handheld. Long exposure stuff demands a tripod. Where one is panning, or
tracking the subject, handheld with good technique is my usual method. Then
there is walk-around, or street where inconspicuous is the way to go.

Savageduck

Old July 24th 18, 09:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 24/07/2018 02:02, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:54:57 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 22/07/2018 14:57, Johnny wrote:
I have a basic digital compact and use a string tripod to avoid camera
shake.

I usually loop the string round the back of my neck but most advice
sites suggest standing on the string.

Is one of these better than the other for reducing shake?

It's notable how many "sports" pros who need mobility and long (heavy)
lenses simply go for a monopod. I've never used one myself, but think
about getting one from time to time. No reason it should not work fine
on a compact (especially a superzoom) as long as it is not too heavy,
and is quick and easy to "telescope".

I have used a monopod a number of times but I find it most useful for
getting the camera into positions which I could not conveniently
manage without it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi1bjcoa1v...4265a.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hcv4dos88...7_DxO.jpg?dl=0

If you have a remote release, you can also use the monopod to shoot
clear views over a crowd, etc. Not with a very long lens of course.
Old July 24th 18, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Johnny[_2_]

On 23-07-2018, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 14:57:20 UTC+1, Johnny wrote:
I have a basic digital compact and use a string tripod to avoid
camera shake.

I usually loop the string round the back of my neck but most advice
sites suggest standing on the string.

Is one of these better than the other for reducing shake?

Why not try it.

Maybe photographing the moon or mars (as you'll be able to have
relatively long exposures) try it with both methods see what's best
for you as an individual and you'll be able to see just how much you
do shake with string and without.

The two methods both give better results than holding the compact in front
of me but I can't standarize the amount of shake in my tests, so I can't
tell which works better.

The foot-stringpod is on a longer stringer which may permit more wobble
but you can tense a foot-stringpod more than a neck one. I'm not sure
which method to rely on for the best result.

Old July 25th 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

The first link above was a bit like that except that I had my camera
resting upside down on my shoe.

The second link was with the camera well above my head to get a better
viewpoint of the very large canoe (waka). I was shooting blind and it
took me several shots to get the one I wanted. But I couldn't have
done it without the monopod.

Eric Stevens
Old July 25th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/23/2018 9:56 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 23, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I always use a pan head on my monopod. I use the mostly monopod for zoo
work. For landscape I use my tripod. For wildlife, it depends. If I am
waiting for a bird to fly into a particular spot, I prefocus, put the
camera on a tripod, sit down on my chair, and wait. Of course I use a
remote release. It depends on the situation. I also use my monopod as a
balancing cane.

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I wondered about the second case, but it wasn't immediately
obvious even after looking again.
Old July 26th 18, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

The camera probably was 9'~10' above the floor level. I could barely
see over the sides of the canoe and a shot from that level would have
been a waste of time.

Eric Stevens
Old August 13th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-07-22 09:57, Johnny wrote:
I have a basic digital compact and use a string tripod to avoid camera
shake.

I usually loop the string round the back of my neck but most advice
sites suggest standing on the string.

Is one of these better than the other for reducing shake?

Offhand I'd say standing on the stringpod (it's not a tripod, really) is
best.

I tested this a few years ago and it does work (v. handholding) for a 2
or 3 stop advantage. Not bad. But a little clumsy.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."