Amateur seeking advice

Old August 20th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fran

Default Amateur seeking advice

Hi there. This might be the wrong group but it seems like a very good
place to start. I'm a beginner planning to buy an SLR camera in the
next few weeks as I'm going to Canada in September - some of the most
beautiful scenery on the planet. I'd like some advice about the best
camera for someone who hasn't handled an SLR in almost 20 years and
wants to go digital (of course), so any info would be gratefully
received, about cameras suitable for someone nervous at the prospect
but keen to give it a go. Thanks alot.

Old August 20th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Raphael Bustin

On 20 Aug 2006 08:26:05 -0700, "Fran" wrote:

Hi there. This might be the wrong group but it seems like a very good
place to start. I'm a beginner planning to buy an SLR camera in the
next few weeks as I'm going to Canada in September - some of the most
beautiful scenery on the planet. I'd like some advice about the best
camera for someone who hasn't handled an SLR in almost 20 years and
wants to go digital (of course), so any info would be gratefully
received, about cameras suitable for someone nervous at the prospect
but keen to give it a go. Thanks alot.

The proper forum for that query is probably
rec.photo.digital.

OTOH I'll give you my hot tip. Canon 30D,
with a short Canon "L" zoom. Or wait a
bit and get the Nikon D-80.

Have fun.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old August 20th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Storkamp

Fran wrote:
Hi there. This might be the wrong group but it seems like a very good
place to start. I'm a beginner planning to buy an SLR camera in the
next few weeks as I'm going to Canada in September - some of the most
beautiful scenery on the planet. I'd like some advice about the best
camera for someone who hasn't handled an SLR in almost 20 years and
wants to go digital (of course), so any info would be gratefully
received, about cameras suitable for someone nervous at the prospect
but keen to give it a go. Thanks alot.

I very pleased with the Nikon N75 I recently purchased to replace an
older body irreparably water damaged. The prices right now are better
than I've ever seen them. One mistake I made early on was trying to save
money on the lenses, I'd recommend getting the best lens you can
possibly afford. You posted to a 35mm group, but asked about digital.
I'll sell you a very nice digital camera that uses SmartMedia cards for
only 1/2 of what I paid for it. Good luck finding memory cards for it
though. (all but one of mine went bad, losing about 10% of the pics that
were on them.)

On a recent trip to Italy all I brought was an Olympus Infinity Stylus
Epic. I got great results with that camera.
Old August 20th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
no_name

Fran wrote:

Hi there. This might be the wrong group but it seems like a very good
place to start. I'm a beginner planning to buy an SLR camera in the
next few weeks as I'm going to Canada in September - some of the most
beautiful scenery on the planet. I'd like some advice about the best
camera for someone who hasn't handled an SLR in almost 20 years and
wants to go digital (of course), so any info would be gratefully
received, about cameras suitable for someone nervous at the prospect
but keen to give it a go. Thanks alot.

There's actually digital & DSLR groups, but this is as good a group as any.

Nikon D50 or D70S
Cannon digital RebelXT (much as it pains me to recommend it)
Pentax *istDL or *istDS2 (or perhaps even the new K100D)

Maybe the new Sony A100 (essentially a Minolta) - don't know much about
pricing yet.

Possibly Samsung's new DSLRs that are rebadged Pentax (and use Pentax's
KAF2 lens mount).

Pentax is my personal choice, but I doubt you could go wrong with any of
the major brands. You might want to look at something other than the
standard kit lens, but AFAIK they're adequate for starters.

Beyond that, I'm kind of impressed with Sigma's Foveon sensor and Fuji
S3 is available in Nikon mount, but they're probably beyond where you
want to go at this time.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 21st 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On 20 Aug 2006 08:26:05 -0700, "Fran" wrote:

Hi there. This might be the wrong group but it seems like a very good
place to start. I'm a beginner planning to buy an SLR camera in the
next few weeks as I'm going to Canada in September - some of the most
beautiful scenery on the planet. I'd like some advice about the best
camera for someone who hasn't handled an SLR in almost 20 years and
wants to go digital (of course), so any info would be gratefully
received, about cameras suitable for someone nervous at the prospect
but keen to give it a go. Thanks alot.

I have 2 DSLR's, quite different...

One is the new Sony Alpha100, it's probably better for beginners because you
don't have to dive through menus, there is a dial and buttons to pick almost
everything you need to do. It is very similar to a Konika-Minolta... (now owned
by Sony...) It cost $1200C maybe $1000US

It is a 10 megapixel camera, and comes with an 18mm-70mm lens. (that becomes
27mm to 105mm compared to 35mm film.) It works best for scenery in RAW mode, and
that takes an average of 9 megabytes per foto, so you'll need to bring along
lots of storage, maybe a laptop with a compact flash card reader ... and maybe a
DVD burner.

I also have a Nikon D70, a 6 megapixel camera, which is replaced by the D70s, it
has the same lens size as the Sony, but there is also the D50 and a new D80 is
coming... These vary in size and features, you need to check out the Nikon web
site. The D70 takes great snapshot jpegs, averaging 1.5m in size, and in RAW
they are all about 6m in size. There is also the D200 if you have a few grand to
spare... $2k for the camera and probably the same for a few lenses...

If you want to shoot in the dark with high ISO you will need a Canon camera and
most range in price from under $1000 to about $2000. I don't have one so I can't
comment other then to say they are well received. Look for the Rebel or 20D or
30D.

BTW I'm already in Canada... welcome!

Old August 21st 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fran

wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice very much. I realised after
I posted my msg that I'd clicked on the "wrong" group, so am doubly
grateful. I was finding all the models/options quite overwhelming and
only have limited time in which to purchase and familiarise myself with
a new camera before I depart mid September for BC from Sydney,
Australia.

Kind regards
Fran

Old August 22nd 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bandicoot

"Fran" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
On 20 Aug 2006 08:26:05 -0700, "Fran" wrote:

[SNIP]

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice very much. I realised after
I posted my msg that I'd clicked on the "wrong" group, so am doubly
grateful. I was finding all the models/options quite overwhelming and
only have limited time in which to purchase and familiarise myself with
a new camera before I depart mid September for BC from Sydney,
Australia.

You'll love BC.

For someone starting out, don't get too wrapped up in specifications tables
and lists of features. You want a camera that's easy to use, takes good
lenses, and - and this is really important - feels comfortable to use in
your hand. That last point is often overlooked, and it makes a huge
difference, both to the ease with which you can take pictures - so that you
can concentrate on the picture instead of the camera - and on whether you
are likely to want to take the camera out with you in the first place.

Retailers (and some manufacturers) find 'numbers' an easy way to sell
things, and will tell you you need lots of Mega-pixels. Well, yes and no.
More lets you make bigger enlargements, but how often are you going to do
that? If you won't be printing to more than A4, usually, you'll be fine
with 6-8 Mpx. For image quality it's better to spend your money on a camera
with good lenses and good electronics than one with a big 'headline' pixel
count achievced at the cost of cutting cormers elsewhere. (Higher pixel
counts in _quality_ cameras are expensive, and may be more than you need if
you aren't planning on making monster prints.)

For a beginner DSLR that meets these criteria I'd be looking to Nikon,
Canon, or Pentax, the Sony that is based on a former Konica-Minolta, or the
Samsungs that are re-badged Pentax. Personally I like the ergonomics and
compact size of the Pentax best, and I like Pentax lenses, but everyone has
their own favourites for different reasons.

Peter

Old August 22nd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

Don't forget the option of getting a digital P&S.

My experience has been that 2006's $150 P&S's work
as well as 2004's $1500 DSLRs. This trend will
probably continue, so before dropping $1,500 on
a 2006 DSLR consider that in 2008 you can buy
a $150 P&S that will work just as well.

If you put $1500 in a 5% CD the yeild will pay for
a even-more-state-of-the-art $150 P&S every two
years for the rest of your life.

This view will probably not be very popular...

Old August 22nd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Raphael Bustin

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:47:24 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

Don't forget the option of getting a digital P&S.

My experience has been that 2006's $150 P&S's work
as well as 2004's $1500 DSLRs. This trend will
probably continue, so before dropping $1,500 on
a 2006 DSLR consider that in 2008 you can buy
a $150 P&S that will work just as well.

Surely you jest. The 2004 DSLR would be, say,
the Canon 10D. What current $150 P&S matches it?

I'm seriously curious, since I'm thinking of "updating"
my old Canon G2.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old August 22nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:47:24 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

Don't forget the option of getting a digital P&S.

My experience has been that 2006's $150 P&S's work
as well as 2004's $1500 DSLRs.

A $150 P&S as good as a Nikon D70?

Where?

Oh ya, you admit you have no experiance with cameras... go away now... you're
lookin' mighty stupid... take your crayons... bye