Looking for a good site to display photos.

Old May 10th 07, 01:43 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Looking for a good site to display photos.

I have been a member of flickr for a while and it has been a great
place to show my photos to family and friends but the groups there
leave a lot to be desired.

I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
banning spree of late.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/

I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that are
user friendly?

Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make it
in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
listen to their point of view.

--

Thanks
Sam

Tobin or not Tobin that is the question - Paul Tobin 2002

Old May 10th 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On May 10, 10:43 am, wrote:
I have been a member of flickr for a while and it has been a great
place to show my photos to family and friends but the groups there
leave a lot to be desired.

I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
banning spree of late.http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/

I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that are
user friendly?

Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make it
in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
listen to their point of view.

--

Thanks
Sam

Tobin or not Tobin that is the question - Paul Tobin 2002

Sorry, I did mean to mention they are amateur photos in the title.

Old May 10th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

wrote:
I have been a member of flickr for a while and it has been a great
place to show my photos to family and friends but the groups there
leave a lot to be desired.

I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
banning spree of late.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/

I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that are
user friendly?

Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make it
in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
listen to their point of view.

AFAIC, pbase is top o' the heap.
Easy...fast...ad-free...no limits to hits or bandwidth...and cheap. I gave
them $100 in 2002, and they tell me I still have 32 months (!) of service
left on my account. That will come to about $12.50/year. Click the link in
my sig for samples...
-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old May 10th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ben Miller

On May 9, 8:40 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
[...]

Agreed. PBase is, IMO, less about the social aspect of Internet photo
hosting and more about photography itself. Far more informative, if
you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I'm down w/ Web 2.0, but clouds are
superfluous in the case of photo hosting...and the tagging is clunky.
PBase is heuristically more navigable and informative, if you ask me.

Old May 10th 07, 03:32 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
ray

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:43:40 -0700, SRTobin03 wrote:

I have been a member of flickr for a while and it has been a great
place to show my photos to family and friends but the groups there
leave a lot to be desired.

I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
banning spree of late.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/

I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that are
user friendly?

Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make it
in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
listen to their point of view.

Often times you get what you pay for. Have you considered one of the low
cost web hosts available now? I host a personal web site with
netfirms.com (www.rcarter.net). Cost is $5/month and I can put up
pictures, whatever.
Old May 10th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

ray wrote:
[...]

That's nearly 500% more than I pay Pbase per month...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old May 10th 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Sophie

I am using www.fotki.com for the last 5 years and very satisfied.
They have unlimited storage and very convinient photo management

Old May 10th 07, 11:29 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Joan

Good grief. Start your own group if you don't like that one. I don't
like being told to comment on x number of photos and dislike pictures
being added to comments at someone else's insistance. Flickr is
different things to different people. One thing it isn't, is a
prison.

--
Joan

ups.com...
:
: I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
: banning spree of late.
:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/
:
: I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that
are
: user friendly?
:
: Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
: part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make
it
: in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
: listen to their point of view.
:
: --
:
: Thanks
: Sam
:

Old May 10th 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

wrote:

I have been a member of flickr for a while and it has been a great
place to show my photos to family and friends but the groups there
leave a lot to be desired.

I am a member of a great rating group but the admins have been on a
banning spree of late.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/globalv...7600195357968/

I have looked at pbase and smuggmugg are there any free ones that are
user friendly?

Flickr is fine but I can't see a reason in paying $30 a year to be
part of a group that is run my power hungry people that can't make it
in the real world. Seems it is easier to block or ban someone than
listen to their point of view.

Flicker can be a real mess & I agree pbase is cleaner but I think if you
pay, you get a little more control & features. Here's a friend's flicker
site which he's finally got looking pretty nice:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastbay...88988524/show/

$30/year is cheap. Go for it. I'd do pbase if you aren't into the social
thing.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 10th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Paul Furman wrote:

Flicker can be a real mess & I agree pbase is cleaner but I think if you
pay, you get a little more control & features. Here's a friend's flicker
site which he's finally got looking pretty nice:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastbay...88988524/show/

I get a black page with "Take a Tour" and "create yourself a free
account" in blue at the top.