Is there an alternative to Scala?

Old January 11th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Is there an alternative to Scala?

Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Peter Chant wrote:
Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

No. It was unique.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old January 11th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Peter Chant wrote:
Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

In terms of a widely available turnkey B&W slide service, no. But
there are other options:

http://www.photosensitive.ca/BWslides.shtml

Jordan
Old January 11th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Peter Chant wrote:
: Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
: certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
: seen many comments about film.

: I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
: attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
: slide Scala would have been my best option.

: Are there alternatives to Scala?

Last I heard you can get a "reversal kit" for Tmax film from Kodak. I used it
in the past and have gotten good results.
--

-------------------
Old January 11th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Frank Pittel wrote:

Last I heard you can get a "reversal kit" for Tmax film from Kodak. I used
it in the past and have gotten good results.

My one attempt with Celera reverser gave stains and uneven tone.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 11th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC wrote:

Are there alternatives to Scala?

No. It was unique.

Well, if Agfa film production is no more would someone there do the decent
thing and give it to Ilford?

Very doubtful, but it would be nice.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 11th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Peter Chant" wrote:
Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

There's Fomapan R:
http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...n=Custom&ID=11
I don't know if it's a real alternative to Scala, because I've used neither
of them.

Greets,
Blazej

Old January 11th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Kokon" wrote:

"Peter Chant" wrote:
Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

There's Fomapan R:
http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...n=Custom&ID=11
I don't know if it's a real alternative to Scala, because I've used neither
of them.

Greets,
Blazej

I have tried Fomapan R and I wrote a review for Camera Arts and View
Camera on Foma films but because politics were involved it was never
published, additionally my originals were lost.

I will tell you that I had Duggal Color in NYC process the film
as opposed to the suggestion of J&C to send it to LA. The
film is really nice if you like B&W slides.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 11th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Peter Chant wrote:

Everyone has been talking about Rodinal, and from the discussions its
certainly not the end of the world if you are a Rondinal fan, but I've not
seen many comments about film.

I've only shot one roll of Scala, quite an interesting experience. My own
attempts at reversal processing were poor, so if tempted again to do B&W
slide Scala would have been my best option.

Are there alternatives to Scala?

Try Fomapan R.
&
In my other response I Stated:

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 11th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I have tried Fomapan R and I wrote a review for Camera Arts and View
Camera on Foma films but because politics were involved it was never
published, additionally my originals were lost.

I will tell you that I had Duggal Color in NYC process the film
as opposed to the suggestion of J&C to send it to LA. The
film is really nice if you like B&W slides.

Cheers for both posts.

I've only tried B&W slides twice, once with Scala, and once with Delta 100
reveral processed by myself.

It found it very interesting. Whereas with scanned or printed B&W neg you
can do something about the contrast after shooting you were pretty much
stuck with what you got with slide. On colour I suspect that colour masks
this effect a lot. Some frames were far too flat, but those that worked
well were stunning. I really liked the blacks in Scala, the ration between
deep shadow and highlights appeared higher with Scala than colour slides.

Unfortunatly Scala was expensive to process and my own efforts not up to
scratch. However, well worth trying once in a while.

Following the posts in the tread, with a bit of Googling it is clear that
real men home process cine film!

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

35mm agfa scala (iso-200) black & white slide film question? [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 0 March 26th 05 06:31 AM
35mm agfa scala (iso-200) black & white slide film question? [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 0 March 26th 05 06:31 AM
Agfa Scala as negative piterengel In The Darkroom 4 February 15th 04 02:47 AM
Scala Hans Bessel Film & Labs 3 December 29th 03 05:14 PM
Alternative Photo Carole McCarthy Photographing Nature 0 December 21st 03 03:37 PM