Agfa Neutol

Old January 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Agfa Neutol

PeterB wrote:
I use this Neutol Plus paper developer exclusively. While I agree that
it goes off faster in a tray than Dektol, I find that if after a
session (of say 2-3 hours) that I tip the contents back into an air
tight container that it lasts ages. I've been using the same mix for
about 4 x 3 hour sessions spread over a couple of months (say for a
total of about 35 lots of 8 x 10" prints).
When putting it back into a container, I top up the last 5-10mL with
water to exclude the air. (container isn't compressible, and I had
forgotton to use my glass marbles). BTW depending on the conc. you mix
up, it will be a medium to dark orange after diluting.

Yeah, real ugly stuff!

regards
Peter

Mike wrote:
Yes, the fluid is a dark orange. The working developer remains orange.

Nice paper developer. The only thing I don't like about it is that it
seems to exhaust much quicker than Dektol and Polymax.

Old January 18th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

An interesting alternative Peter, thanks for the advice.
Cheers.

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Keith Tapscott wrote:

I don`t suppose anyone knows where I could buy an accurate 200 gram and
500
gram weights in the UK?

If banks in the UK still count coins by weighing them then
coins should be pretty accurate in aggregate even if they show
small sample to sample variations.

25 small 50p coins should weigh 200g.
40 20p coins should weigh 200g
100 20p coins should weigh 500g.

The Royal Mint has historically been very good in this regard.
In Canada, the RCM has been messing around with coin weights
in the last few years so you need to sort by date in order to
trust the weight of coins. If banks in the UK still weigh coins
than you should still be able to trust groups of coins as weights.

Bronze UK coinage weighs 55 grains (3.564 grams) per p. in case
you need Imperial weights.

Peter.

Old January 18th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I`ve seen the MSDS for DD-X & DD (Dip & Dunk) which are one and the same and
as you said, they`re buffered borax developers like Microphen but with a
different type of Phenidone. I suppose if Ilford wished to do so, they could
formulate an ascorbic acid type developer similar to Xtol by modifying their
own Microphen. They experimented with ascorbic acid developers back in the
60`s and 70`s and perhaps found stability problems back then.
It is however used in Ilfosol-S along with Hydroquinone.

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
et...

"Keith Tapscott" wrote in message
Fotospeed are selling a Hydroquinone free print developer called HF3
(liquid concentrate) which I beleive also uses an Ascorbic acid
derivative and should make a suitable alternative.
Perhaps in the fullness of time Ilford may introduce a similar one. I
would certainly be interested in a Hydroquinone version of their DD-X
film developer if ever they consider it.

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike wrote:

Do you mean a Hydroquinone _free_ version of DDX? DDX is essentially a
liquid concentrate version of Microphen. It is similar to other Phenidone
based concentrate developers like Kodak T-Max.
Kodak Xtol is a Phenidone and Ascorbic acid developer. Unfortunately,
it seems to have a short term failure problem. Kodak denies this but I've
experienced it with the 5 liter size.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 23rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I used this stuff again last night. Even at 1+3 dilution it gave weak
results. Bromophen worked better, gave more, speed, contrast and
density. I'm throwing the Neutol Plus out.

Richard Knoppow wrote:
Mike wrote:
Yes, the fluid is a dark orange. The working developer remains orange.

Nice paper developer. The only thing I don't like about it is that it
seems to exhaust much quicker than Dektol and Polymax.

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:59:37 -0800, UC wrote:

Through a local photo dealer, I have come into possession of some Agfa
Neutol paper developer in what looks like a 500ml or 1 litre size. The
fluid in the bottle seems to be dark coloured. Is this normal? The
dealer does not know how old it is, and he has more of it if I want it.
I have not used any of it yet, and am wondering if anyone has any
experience with this product.

Agfa sold a couple of liquid concentrate developers under the
Neutol name. The one I've been using is Neutol Plus which has no
Hydroquinone but rather Ascorbic acid. Its dark yellow and becomes
brownish orange. In my experience it lasts about as long as Dektol at
the 1:9 dilution but I may not print as much as Mike. It appears to be
clean working and does not deposit silver on the tray the way Dektol
does.
Beware that the yellow color distorts the gray scale of developing
prints even under an OC safelight.
Unfortunately, I think its not going to be available after current
stocks are gone.
There is also a Neutol developer for blue-black tones and a Neutol
warm tone developer. I have some of the warm tone developer but haven't
tried it yet.

Richard Knoppow