Bargain Priced Film Cameras

Old October 20th 05, 12:11 AM
ian lincoln

Default Bargain Priced Film Cameras

"David Littlewood" wrote in message

My A1 (1979) *is* still functioning perfectly (as is the AE1, 1996) long
after my T90 (about 1991) *did* go to camera heaven. It's not even a good
paperweight, it falls over.

David
--
David Littlewood

What about the famous 'A1 shutter squeak'?

Old October 20th 05, 12:50 AM
David Littlewood

In article , ian lincoln
writes

"David Littlewood" wrote in message

My A1 (1979) *is* still functioning perfectly (as is the AE1, 1996) long
after my T90 (about 1991) *did* go to camera heaven. It's not even a good
paperweight, it falls over.

David
--
David Littlewood

What about the famous 'A1 shutter squeak'?

Not too bad; the AE-1 is somewhat worse.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old October 20th 05, 12:53 AM
Dick R.

ian lincoln wrote:
"David Littlewood" wrote in message

My A1 (1979) *is* still functioning perfectly (as is the AE1, 1996) long
after my T90 (about 1991) *did* go to camera heaven. It's not even a good
paperweight, it falls over.

David
--
David Littlewood

What about the famous 'A1 shutter squeak'?

Hi Ian,
The shutter "squeak" is a mechanical thing that many
repair shops will be able to fix for the next few decades.
OTOH: Nobody will try to repair Canon T series cameras
because the electronics/parts aren't available anymore.
Planned obsolescence? I dunno.

Dick R.
Old October 20th 05, 11:46 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Dick R. wrote:

OTOH: Nobody will try to repair Canon T series cameras
because the electronics/parts aren't available anymore.
Planned obsolescence? I dunno.

The T-90 was the first camera in the EOS series, more by accident than
design. It was a new design, using "modern" construction and electronics.
What it showed Canon was that the old lens mount was not practical for
autofocus and auotexposure (althought the AE1-P and other cameras did it
with the old mount). It also showed that AA batteries did not have enough
current output for the computer chip, built in flash and winder combination.

They only made T-90's for about two years. Not very long compared to the
"A" cameras (AE1, AE1-P, A1) or the later EOS cameras. That's why spare
parts are so hard to find.

So Canon decided to take a chance on a totaly new lens mount made of
much cheaper and easier materials and the new lithium batteries. They
designed the EOS-650 to sell at $250 with a 50mm 1.8 lens, about twice
that of the AE1-P at K-Mart.

Unfortunately for Canon, the Yen went from over 300 to the dollar, to
140 to the dollar, doubling the cost in yen to manufacture the new EOS
cameras. Since they did not want to sell them at $500 each, they only
produced two models and few lenses for the first few years.

BTW, those cameras, the EOS-650 and EOS-620 have suffered the same fate
as the T-90, failing parts with no replacement, rotting light seals,
etc.

It's also important to note that the ELECTRONIC Nikon cameras of that era, the
FE, FE-2, N2000, N2020, FA also suffer the same fate as the T-90, but there
are lots more parts cameras.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.
Old October 20th 05, 12:41 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Geoffrey S.
Mendelson writes
In article , Dick R. wrote:

[...]

Geoff,

Thanks for the interesting insight.

I know you did not mean it this way, but the first paragraph may cause
some confusion in the minds of less knowledgeable readers. To avoid this
confusion, let's make it clear that the T90 is not an EOS camera, it
does not take EF lenses, but only the old manual focus FD lenses. Its
construction and design is, as you imply, somewhat like a trial run for
the EOS series. One thing which it does seem to have taught Canon is to
make more reliable shutter mechanisms; that on the T90 is notoriously
flaky, whereas the EOS series - certainly the second generation onwards
(the 6xx series rather passed me by) - do seem to have reliable
shutters.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old October 20th 05, 01:43 PM
Doug Robbins

Not true. I've had excellent work done by Canon.T90.com. They have repaired
my Canons and Nikons.

Doug Robbins

Old October 20th 05, 02:39 PM
Tony Polson

Paul Bielec wrote:

wrote:
With the dramatic fall in value of film cameras as users switch to
digital, there are some amazing bargains to be had on Ebay. I very
recently bought a Nikon F601 with 35-80mm lens in true mint condition
for £55 - or about $99.

Have other members taken advantage of this situation - or are planning
to do so and what kind of cameras have/are tempting them?

Forgot to day that I'd like to get a Leica II rangefinder.
Simply because my grandfather had one and it was with this camera that I
have taken my first pictures when I was 5 or 6 yo.

There are some amazing bargains in used Leica gear. Not only LTM
(screw mount) but also early M.

Just avoid the collectable stuff, which sells for silly money.