battery question

Old October 1st 04, 12:32 AM
frankg

Don't use the a76 1.5v cells they are alkaline and don't have the same
voltage properties as the silver oxide s76/357 cells..

Using the alkaline LR44 (1.5v) could cause damage or inaccurate exposure
read-outs ?

Old October 1st 04, 12:16 PM
Joseph Meehan

ColynG© wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:23:50 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

The S-76 was a silver oxide battery of 1.35V nominal as I recall.

The s76 is 1.55v. The no longer available mercury 675 which is nearly
identical in size was 1.35v..

The silver oxide cells (s76/357) are readily available with no
restrictions..

You are right, I had them confused. Both were very popular batteries.

I just checked and Radio Shack has them avaialble.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 5th 04, 10:26 PM
George

"Jim MacKenzie" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
frankg wrote:
my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta
batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace
them.

These are common silver oxide cells. MS-76 they are sometimes called.

The
alkaline substitute is the LR-44. They are 1.5 volts.

The OP wants SR-44 batteries...the voltage is different (1.35V) and the
discharge
rate is slower until the battery is almost dead then it drops like a brick.
The batteries
are still commonly available (buy 'em at Target and many other places and
are usually
$3-4). BTW, MS-76 is a correct designation. A-76 is not (you do NOT want
alkaline,
you DO want silver oxide).
Jim

Old October 22nd 04, 04:10 PM
me

"frankg" wrote in message
my Minolta Flashmeter/lightmeter uses S76 Eveready or V76 Varta

batteries -
I cant see the volt designation on the batteries and I need to replace

them.
Watch/calculator button cell 1.5 volts are readily available here and they
are the same physical size - can anyone tell me if the voltage is too

high
or if I could damage the meter in some other way by not using the 76
batteries ?

--
xx

This is a question worth revisiting. First the batteries:

S76: Go here and input the product number:
http://data.energizer.com/Datasheets.aspx This battery is readily available
even though the site says it's obsolete.

V76:
http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/con...a-consumer.com

MS76: Same battery but by Duracell (at bottom of list):
http://www.duracell.com/oem/Primary/...oxide_prod.asp

All of these batteries are 1.55V silver oxide. The important
characteristics of silver oxide batteries is that they have a very long
shelf life and maintain a constant voltage under load until just before they
fail, more constant than alkaline batteries. Using alkaline in place of
silver oxide will do no harm but accuracy may be effected due to the fact
that the voltage of alkalines tapers off gradually during the life of the
battery until failure is reached.

One more note: Battery manufacturers have become inconsistent about how
they list this size battery. They now consider small batteries such as
these to be miniature batteries and do not include them in camera battery
listings.