Image Stabilization

Old August 13th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raoul

Default Image Stabilization

Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

thanks
Old August 13th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:14:27 -0400, Raoul wrote:

Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

Subscribe to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems if you haven't already
done so and start retrieving messages from the following date.
While the message ID is compatible with your version of Agent, I've
found that the messages from googlegroups don't always download.

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Subject: Image stabilization - which works better, sensor or lens shift?
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:04:16 -0700

BTW, did you really mean "digital" image stabilization? I think
that that's generally used for video cameras, whereas digital still
cameras normally use the two types mentioned in the Subject line.

Old August 13th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Somebody

"Raoul" wrote in message
Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

thanks

Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it isn't
in the lens or on the sensor it is **** plain and simple.

Somebody!

Old August 13th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Somebody" wrote in message
"Raoul" wrote in message
Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

thanks

Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is **** plain and simple.

Somebody!

Got some links to some testing on this?

Thanks

Old August 13th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

Raoul wrote:

Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

This one is a no brainer.

Digital stabilization takes a series of blurry images and tries to
recover something from them, or even worse just increases the ASA and
shutter speed and introduces digital noise. It is common on movie
cameras. In still cameras it is mainly advertising hype.

Optical stabilization prevents blurry images in the first place. It is
by far the best and found on your better cameras.

It comes in two forms, in-the-lens and at-the-sensor. I have
at-the-sensor and it is great because it will work with any lens. I
have a 35 mm to 420 mm (equiv) zoom and it works flawlessly. I used it
on safari in Africa while shooting animal photos and didn't have one
blurry photo.

Purists like in-the-lens stabilization since in each lens the
stabilization is optimized. The down sides are that it makes you older
lenses obsolete, makes lenses heavier, and is very expensive.

If you are using a zoom lens, then it really doesn't matter since the
stabilization in-the-lens has the same compromises that the
stabilization at-the-sensor has. The difference being that at-the-sensor
is less expensive and more reliable.

Typically either optical system will give you about 3 stops more range.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:04:16 -0700

Old August 13th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Somebody

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Somebody" wrote in message
"Raoul" wrote in message
Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

thanks

Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is **** plain and simple.

Somebody!

Got some links to some testing on this?

Thanks

Don't need testing on this. digital is faked. Only a moron would think that
faked IS is anywhere close to being real optical IS.

Somebody!

Old August 16th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anoni Moose

On Aug 13, 3:04 pm, "Somebody" wrote:

Don't need testing on this. digital is faked. Only a moron would think that
faked IS is anywhere close to being real optical IS.

I know that in camcorders the alternative digital is *not* faked.
But in a camcorder the objective is different (cutting down of
jiggling rather than cutting down of blur). I don't think the video
cam electronic method would work for stills. But this may
be the reason one might think it would work properly -- rather
than because one is a moron. They may be camcorder users
where the electronic version DOES really work, even if not as
well as optical.