JPEG extra

Old October 27th 04, 03:24 AM
Jürgen Eidt

Default JPEG extra

Looking at the new Nikon 8400/8800 they support an additional JPEG
compression mode "Extra":
Extra, Fine, Normal, Basic
Does anyone know whats special about this?
Could it be, that they finally switched off the color subsampling?
The Fine mode is already at 90-95% Quality with color subsampling. So it
would be the logical choice. Its not something new as you can read on
http://jpegclub.org/foveon/index2.html .

--
Regards
Jürgen

Old October 27th 04, 08:24 AM
Guido Vollbeding

"Jürgen Eidt" wrote:

Looking at the new Nikon 8400/8800 they support an additional JPEG
compression mode "Extra":
Extra, Fine, Normal, Basic
Does anyone know whats special about this?
Could it be, that they finally switched off the color subsampling?
The Fine mode is already at 90-95% Quality with color subsampling. So it
would be the logical choice. Its not something new as you can read on
http://jpegclub.org/foveon/index2.html .

I would look for a sample and check it out...:-)
Until then I would not assume that they suddenly switched the setting.
Actually I don't know *any* digital camera which would write
non-color-subsampled JPEG images (aside from Sigma Photo Pro
software, but that's not in-camera).

Regards
Guido
Old October 27th 04, 08:42 AM
Jürgen Eidt

"Guido Vollbeding" schrieb
"Jürgen Eidt" wrote:

Looking at the new Nikon 8400/8800 they support an additional JPEG
compression mode "Extra":
Extra, Fine, Normal, Basic
Does anyone know whats special about this?
Could it be, that they finally switched off the color subsampling?
The Fine mode is already at 90-95% Quality with color subsampling. So it
would be the logical choice. Its not something new as you can read on
http://jpegclub.org/foveon/index2.html .

I would look for a sample and check it out...:-)
Until then I would not assume that they suddenly switched the setting.
Actually I don't know *any* digital camera which would write
non-color-subsampled JPEG images (aside from Sigma Photo Pro
software, but that's not in-camera).

What else can it be?
It can't be setting the Q-level to 100.
It might take some time to find out because samples are not available and I
will receive one once the new models are shipped.
I will post the results here.
In case someone have already a sample shot in "Extra", please fill my inbox

--
Regards
Jürgen

Old October 27th 04, 09:04 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Guido Vollbeding" wrote in message
"Jürgen Eidt" wrote:

Looking at the new Nikon 8400/8800 they support an additional JPEG
compression mode "Extra":
Extra, Fine, Normal, Basic
Does anyone know whats special about this?
Could it be, that they finally switched off the color subsampling?
The Fine mode is already at 90-95% Quality with color subsampling. So it
would be the logical choice. Its not something new as you can read on
http://jpegclub.org/foveon/index2.html .

I would look for a sample and check it out...:-)
Until then I would not assume that they suddenly switched the setting.
Actually I don't know *any* digital camera which would write
non-color-subsampled JPEG images

You might check out the Sony F707. Comparing in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
(same image), the jpegs differed only in a few pixels, all other pixels
being exactly identical in all three values.

I suspect there are problably others.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 27th 04, 09:28 AM
Guido Vollbeding

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

You might check out the Sony F707. Comparing in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
(same image), the jpegs differed only in a few pixels, all other pixels
being exactly identical in all three values.

I *have* checked it out! Comparing the in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
doesn't tell anything (both are derived from defective Bayer data
and thus far away from true image anyway).

It is easy for you to check this out, too.
Look at http://jpegclub.org/foveon/index2.html below.

I suspect there are problably others.

No, there are non.

Regards
Guido
Old October 27th 04, 09:50 AM
Guido Vollbeding

You might check out the Sony F707. Comparing in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
(same image), the jpegs differed only in a few pixels, all other pixels
being exactly identical in all three values.

I *have* checked it out! Comparing the in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
doesn't tell anything (both are derived from defective Bayer data
and thus far away from true image anyway).

The "identy" you see here is the identical in-camera color interpolation
process which creates the major part of the image artificially.

Regards
Guido
Old October 27th 04, 10:22 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Guido Vollbeding" wrote in message
You might check out the Sony F707. Comparing in-camera TIFFs to the

JPEGs
(same image), the jpegs differed only in a few pixels, all other

pixels
being exactly identical in all three values.

I *have* checked it out! Comparing the in-camera TIFFs to the JPEGs
doesn't tell anything (both are derived from defective Bayer data
and thus far away from true image anyway).

The "identy" you see here is the identical in-camera color interpolation
process which creates the major part of the image artificially.

You never change. Still stuck with your head wedged full of Foveon lies.
Pitiful.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 27th 04, 10:30 AM
Guido Vollbeding

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

You never change.

Truth never changes. And hoax stays a hoax.

Regards
Guido
Old October 27th 04, 10:39 AM
David J. Littleboy

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

You never change.

Truth never changes. And hoax stays a hoax.

You mean you've finally realized that Foven is a hoax???

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 27th 04, 10:41 AM
Guido Vollbeding

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Truth never changes. And hoax stays a hoax.

You mean you've finally realized that Foven is a hoax???

The incidents tell otherwise...

Regards
Guido