Slow descent into large-format, or, my love-hate relationship with ebay.

Old November 27th 04, 12:57 PM
Stephan Goldstein

The original poster (Matt Clara, I believe) wrote:
After the first of the year, it's the Shen-Hao from Badger
Graphic. All my research indicates that this is, hands down, the best
field camera I can buy... (for the money .

Yes, and if you have the opportunity to travel to China you can do even
better! A year ago I purchased a new Shen-Hao HZX-45II while in
Guangzhou (we grew up knowing this large city as Canton) for US$400.
Some months later a friend visiting Shanghai, where the cameras are
made, brought back the multi-format rollfilm back for $225. But you'll
have to be with someone who speaks Chinese - my wife grew up in
Guangzhou - the better to bargain with. English is not yet widely
spoken in China outside of the large hotels, and my Chinese is still
pretty rudimentary.

Unfortunately, Shen-Hao do not have any dealers in Hong Kong,
where English is more commonly spoken.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Badger their markup, they deserve
to make a profit for their effort. It's just that you can do even better
if you already happen to be in China. I wouldn't buy a ticket just to
save a couple of hundred bucks on the camera, though.

steve
Old November 27th 04, 03:10 PM
jjs

"Stephan Goldstein" wrote in message
Yes, and if you have the opportunity to travel to China you can do even
better! A year ago I purchased a new Shen-Hao HZX-45II while in
Guangzhou [...]

Forgive me for drifting OT, but I've been thinking of taking a studio in
Chengdu for a few months. Do you know the area?

Old November 27th 04, 03:17 PM
Raoul

One has to play the auction game.
Of course, I could always just find what I want at, say, KEH, and buy it,
but they inevitably charge more... (and I'm cheap!). :-)

And LF is not thier strong point, you want variety go to Lens and Repro, in
NYC
very good dealer and they have reasonable prices on most stuff.
I've bought at least two lenses from them.

I have also bought MF stuff from Keh.

I've bought lots of stuff from KEH. What you are *really* buying from
them (and all other reliable storefront operations) is a business
reputation to take care of the problems when they come up.

I do agree that KEH is not the home of large format photography. They
have quite a bit of the 'standard stuff' but, other than that, their
selection is rather pedestrian.

Now, Hasselblad gear, on the other hand.....

Jeff
Old November 27th 04, 03:31 PM
jjs

This reminds me that I have a finished Bender 4x5 I should sell. It has no
back, but is otherwise in great shape. Whatcha think, 50% retail?

Old November 27th 04, 03:31 PM
jjs

Old November 27th 04, 03:32 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Shelley wrote:
But the real reason I find Ebay frustrating is that I can't

just find what I want and then buy it. One has to play the auction game.
Of course, I could always just find what I want at, say, KEH, and buy it,
but they inevitably charge more... (and I'm cheap!). :-)

You might look at the rec.photo.marketplace.large-format group and also the
large format classifieds in photo.net. I've had good luck at both places.
IMHO KEH and Lens and Repro are both too expensive as is anything in
California.

I have bought lots of LF stuff from Lens and Repro. And sold them some of
my used stuff, too. In fact, I would tend to go there first if I want to
see and touch the stuff before buying, or to get honest advice. Of course
that costs a bit more, but the superior service, and the freedom from
doubt as to correct descriptions and likelihood of delivery are worth it
to me.

When shipping, etc., are included, they are not that much above an outfit
such as Calumet (that I also like, BTW).

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 10:25:00 up 35 days, 13:20, 3 users, load average: 4.31, 4.22, 4.24

Old November 27th 04, 05:03 PM
Stephan Goldstein

In article , "jjs" wrote:
"Stephan Goldstein" wrote in message
Yes, and if you have the opportunity to travel to China you can do even
better! A year ago I purchased a new Shen-Hao HZX-45II while in
Guangzhou [...]

Forgive me for drifting OT, but I've been thinking of taking a studio in
Chengdu for a few months. Do you know the area?

Sorry, it's not an area we've visited yet. It's on the list, though.

sg