Leaf Shutter questions for project camera

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 8th 04, 08:23 PM
Gordon Moat

Default Leaf Shutter questions for project camera

Greetings RPEM-F,

I have been exploring an idea of a low cost (relatively) wide view
camera, using a PC-Nikkor Shift lens. I currently have a 35 mm f2.8
version of this lens that I have been testing for coverage. A couple
things got me started on this, one was an adapter for an Xpan, and the
other was the thread about the 38 mm Biogon lens. I have posted a couple
drawings (not to scale) at:

http://www.allgstudio.com/support_files/PC-Nikkor_coverage.jpg
Estimated coverage comparison.

http://www.allgstudio.com/support_files/PC-Nikkor_mount.jpg Lens to
body comparison.

Today I had some time to do a few more informal tests. It appears that
when checked through a ground glass, the PC-Nikkor 35 mm f2.8 will
almost completely cover 56 mm by 82 mm. The corners just show some
darkness, unless I stop down to f11 or smaller. I think I would probably
mask down the image to 56 mm by 70 mm, or perhaps 44 mm by 80 mm, just
to avoid the corner darkness. Anyway, that is the background so far.

As shown in the second drawing, there is not much width for a shutter. I
am not opposed to trimming the body a bit, which would allow for a
larger shutter. So far, I have checked specs and drawings I found (some
at SKGrimes.com), and it seems that an ILEX #3 would work.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with ILEX shutters, since
they seem to sell at somewhat low prices. I also see many of the
Polaroid Macro camera shutters, which seem like they might be another
choice. The rearmost element on the PC-Nikkor 35 mm f2.8 is 22 mm
diameter. What other leaf shutters would fit (Alphax, Rapax, Acme, et
al)? Better choices? Things to watch out? Any comments or suggestions
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio