Pentax 6x7 - What is "L" with Arrow for?

Old May 11th 04, 02:33 PM
Nelson Win

Default Pentax 6x7 - What is "L" with Arrow for?

Hi,

just bought a used Pentax 6x7, its beautiful. Next to the film
advance lever, and just below the shutter release button, there is a
red "L" with a white arrow across it. The arrow is in between two
dots, one red and one white, and points to the red dot. I can toggle
a switch between the red dot and the white dot. What two choices does
this give me? Thanks.

Nelson
Old May 11th 04, 03:55 PM
Randy Stewart

"Nelson Win" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

just bought a used Pentax 6x7, its beautiful. Next to the film
advance lever, and just below the shutter release button, there is a
red "L" with a white arrow across it. The arrow is in between two
dots, one red and one white, and points to the red dot. I can toggle
a switch between the red dot and the white dot. What two choices does
this give me? Thanks.

When the chrome pointer above the white arrow is pointed at the red dot, the
shutter release is locked; when at the white dot, not. Keeps you from
accidently releasing the shutter after you advance the film and then decide
not to shot a frame immediately.

Old May 11th 04, 11:09 PM
Nelson Win

Thanks, Randy. I've got a couple more questions if possible.

Do you know how I can repeatedly release the shutter and advance the
film advance lever with no film in the camera? When I got the camera
(no film in it) I was able to do that for a few shots until the mirror
locked up and I had to nudge it to release it. After that the camera
refused to work until I loaded it with roll of 120 film. It was a
long outdated roll of film, so didn't mind wasting it to test the
shutter speeds were okay. The camera then allowed me to release the
shutter and advance the lever ten times before it stopped again.

Is there some lever I can press to trick the camera into thinking a
120 roll was just put in? I'd like to play with the camera, open the
back and release the shutter to see how the plane is moving across, to
hear the various shutter speeds, commune with the camera.

A second question - do I need to use a 6V battery if I'm shooting only
on the B setting? Is there a purely mechanical option for this
camera, or does it always need a power source to operate? Many
thanks.

Nelson

Old May 12th 04, 12:28 AM
Vladamir30

Do you know how I can repeatedly release the shutter and advance the
film advance lever with no film in the camera?

There are two ways of releasing the shutter without loading film but one
requires the shutter cocking key, which you may not have since you
presumably bought the camera used. Without the shutter cocking key you can
open the camera back, turn the exposure counter dial until the counter
indicates 1 or more, close the back while keeping your finger on the
exposure counter dial. Turn the wind lever until the shutter is cocked.

A second question - do I need to use a 6V battery if I'm shooting only
on the B setting? Is there a purely mechanical option for this
camera, or does it always need a power source to operate? Many
thanks.

My understanding is that you need the battery. If the shutter is operated
without a battery I think the mirror will stop half way up. At least that's
what I remember happening when the battery dies and I assume the same thing
would happen without any battery in the camera. However, I've never
deliberately tried to use the camera without a battery so I could be wrong.
Why not give it a try? The worst that can happen (I think) if it doesn't
work is that the mirror will stop half way up until you insert a battery.

It sounds like you could use an owner's manual. The things you've asked in
this thread are all answered in the owners manual. You can get a manual from
Pentax USA for a couple dollars (or at least you could when the 67 was still
being made) and there may even be one on line at Pentax's web site, I've
never looked.

om...

Old May 12th 04, 01:15 AM
Phil Stripling

(Nelson Win) writes:

Thanks, Randy. I've got a couple more questions if possible.
SNIP

Try this link:
http://www.pentaxusa.com/docstore/index.cfm?show=6
That should take you to a lengthy list of manals available online. If you
have the original Pentax 67, search for
67
using your Browser's find feature or just scroll down till you get to the
right section. The list includes 67, 6x7, and 67II, so you should be able
to find the right manual in there somewhere.

If that link doesn't work, start at pentaxusa.com, select "Literature" from
the navigation menu at the top, then "Download Manuals."

Good luck and have fun -- it's a great camera.
Old May 12th 04, 04:26 AM
Randy Stewart

"Nelson Win" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, Randy. I've got a couple more questions if possible.

Is there some lever I can press to trick the camera into thinking a
120 roll was just put in? I'd like to play with the camera, open the
back and release the shutter to see how the plane is moving across, to
hear the various shutter speeds, commune with the camera.

As Vadamir mentioned, there are two ways:

1. A cocking key made for the camera. Pentax/Denver can provide for cheap.

2. Open the back. Press down in the film counter in the middle of the film
advance lever and hold it past "1" while closing the back. Once the counter
is past "1", the mechanism assumes that there is film advancing in the
camera.

Never, ever, manually pull down the mirror if it stops half way up during an
attempted exposure. This is a signal that the battery is too weak to
properly operate the shutter/exposure mechanism. Manually advance the film
and it will reset.

A second question - do I need to use a 6V battery if I'm shooting only
on the B setting?

Yes. If you lock the shutter open on bulb [with a locking cable release] to
take a time exposure, the electronic shutter timing mechanism continues to
draw power and can exhaust a battery in 30 minutes. On the current model of
body, 67II, there is a manual bulb exposure mechanism which bypasses the
regular shutter system to avoid battery drain. Pentax can [used to be able
to ?] modify your body with a similar non-electronic bulb exposure control
to obtain this same feature. If you are going to have the shutter CLAed
anyway, check this out. Pentax actually installs a completely new shutter
for this modification and does the equivalent of a CLA as well; last time I
checked it was about $150.

Is there a purely mechanical option for this
camera, or does it always need a power source to operate?

No mechanical option wthout the modification noted above. Remember that this
does not apply to the current body model, which does have a mechanical
option.

Old May 12th 04, 01:45 PM
Nelson Win

My appreciation to you all. I will get a manual for the 6x7, and now
have enough information to get me started until it arrives in a week
or two (I live in Australia). I am in love with this camera now, so
much more convenient to use than my MF Graflex.

Nelson
Old May 12th 04, 10:04 PM
Nelson Win

I need your help! I've downloaded the 6x7 operating manual and seem
to have a big challenge. My photo work involves leaving the shutter
open for hours a day. The 6x7 allows me to operate on a "T" setting
by using the shutter dial on an intermediate position, in between two
speeds. I can then press the shutter once to raise the mirror and
open the curtain; and release both with another press. Perfect - I
don't even need a shutter release cable.

My problem is that I will drain my battery very fast when the shutter
is held open for lengthy periods, which I do constantly. I've tried
pulling the battery from the 6x7 once the shutter is open, but the
mirror partially falls back and is in the way.

Unfortunately my 6x7 is non MLU. Else I would have tried locking the
mirror up... would have bought a "with MLU" version had I known the
6x7 needs a power source on "T" settings (my Nikon F3 can be used
mechanically this way, I've shot thousands of hours on it. Imagine
the battery cost had it not.)

Any ideas anyone? I'm stuck on this. (Never had a power source
problem with the MF Graflex, but its a stone age camera.) Thanks.

Nelson
Old May 12th 04, 10:59 PM
Christian Kolinski

Nelson Win wrote:
[...]

I know some people here in this group are gonna to beat me up for this,
but: What battery type is used in your camera?

I guess a 6V silver-oxide or Lithium.

When I had a similar problem with one of my cameras I made me a
battery adaptor: little block of wood, two metal disks (I used tacks)
a short pice of insulated wire and a cheap battery holder for 4 AA
Batteries. Costs less than one replacement battery.

The camera will still drain the batteries but AA cells are much cheaper
and deliver 10x more energy than the original.

Chris.
Old May 13th 04, 01:04 AM
Vladamir30

My problem is that I will drain my battery very fast when the shutter
is held open for lengthy periods, which I do constantly.

How lengthy is lengthy? The manual says on page 30 that a battery of the
type mentioned there will last 5 hours at the T setting. I have a vague
recollection of someone once mentioning a way of making very long exposures
without draining the battery but I could be wrong and in any event I don't
remember what it was. FWIW I'm not sure that even if you had MLU it would
solve your problem. The battery is normally being drained when the mirror is
locked up just as it is when the shutter is open.

Now you've piqued my curiosity. Exactly what is it you plan to do with this
camera? I haven't tried star photography or photographing in the woods by
light of the moon or anything like that but I've done a fair amount of night
photography of buildings and the like. I think the longest exposure I've
ever made was perhaps a half hour or so and I don't remember that presenting
any battery problems.

m...