photo in dark room, how?

Old November 28th 04, 02:31 AM
Michael A. Covington

Yes, certainly. Put the camera on the tripod and see what you get!

Old November 28th 04, 02:31 AM
Michael A. Covington

Yes, certainly. Put the camera on the tripod and see what you get!

Old November 28th 04, 02:33 AM
JohnR

Default photo in dark room, how?

"kyjim" wrote in message
i have a canon digital rebel, i would like to take a picture of our
Christmas Tree with or by the light of the Christmas Tree the only light

in
the room. is this possible and if so how would i do it? i have a tripod

and
a remote switch.
any help and advice will be appreciated.....

Set the camera to P mode, Keep the flash down. You probably noticed it pops
up on it's own in Auto and some of the other auto modes when you try to
shoot the picture. Set the white balance to Tungsten. (little bulb symbol).
Experiment with exposure compensation to get the effect you desire.

John

Old November 28th 04, 02:36 AM
George E. Cawthon

kyjim wrote:
i have a canon digital rebel, i would like to take a picture of our
Christmas Tree with or by the light of the Christmas Tree the only light in
the room. is this possible and if so how would i do it? i have a tripod and
a remote switch.
any help and advice will be appreciated.....

Sure. You have the basics and you have a digital so just experiment
and if you don't get what you want, delete it. Don't know your
camera, but if you can set the shutter speed then try various settings
starting at about 1/4 sec and then go longer. The lights are bright
but the amount of light they put out to reflect off other things is
small so the results tend toward a dark picture and burned out
highlights. You need to experiment with the time exposure so that the
lights don't get burned out and probably add a small amount of flash
for the most pleasing aspect. Have fun.
Old November 28th 04, 03:34 AM
BobS

In addition to the above, you could also "paint" the tree with a flashlight
while the shutter is open. You'll need about 10 to 15 seconds to paint the
whole tree top to bottom. Give it a try - you just may like the effect.

Bob S.

Old November 28th 04, 04:22 AM
Frank Vuotto

You've got your tree up already ? ;-)

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Old November 28th 04, 04:41 AM
Michael Meissner

"kyjim" writes:

i have a canon digital rebel, i would like to take a picture of our
Christmas Tree with or by the light of the Christmas Tree the only light in
the room. is this possible and if so how would i do it? i have a tripod and
a remote switch.
any help and advice will be appreciated.....

I don't own a digital rebel, but the way I typically do it with my Olympus is
to disable the flash, and meter the tree with just the christmas tree lights at
a given f/stop. Lets say it indicates 1/2 second exposure. Then I set the
camera for 1/2 or maybe 1/4 second exposure. I reenable the flash (and
typically I use an external flash with a ceiling bounce) and set it to
slow-sync2 (or rear curtain sync as it is more commonly known). Rear curtain
sync is where the flash is delayed until the end of the shutter cycle, instead
of firing at the beginning. You put the camera on a tripod, use an image
stabalized lens, or brace it so it doesn't move, and take the picture.

You don't want only the the christmas lights because then you won't see the
tree itself, and you don't want to take the picture with the flash at normal
speed, or the christmas lights won't show up. I usually take a few shots and
different shutter speeds to see which picture I like best.

I was taking some candle and rose pictures tonight with that technique (this is
with no post editing, other than resize for the web, f/5.0, ISO 100, 1/2 sec):
http://www.the-meissners.org/2004-sm...47-candle.html

This one I took before the flash had completely recharged so the rose came out
fairly dim, so I played around with gimp to improve it (there are a few hot
pixels, f/5.0, ISO 100, 1/8 sec):
http://www.the-meissners.org/2004-sm...45-candle.html

--
Michael Meissner