OT I won

Old July 16th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default OT I won

nospam wrote:
I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

As you may know, the I.R.S, never makes telephone calls about money
owed, nor do they send e-mails.

Mort Linder
Old July 16th 16, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort wrote:

nospam wrote:
I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

As you may know, the I.R.S, never makes telephone calls about money
owed, nor do they send e-mails.

check your attributions. i didn't write that.
Old July 16th 16, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/15/2016 2:04 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

A friend of mine, an 80 year old widow of modest means, was scammed out
of $18,000.- by means of the grandmother scheme regarding her nephew
allegedly being arrested in Mexico City for drunk driving. When she told
me about it, months later, I asked her why she didn't call her daughter
to see if her grandson was actually in Mexico City. She replied that the
(fake) grandson's voice told her not to tell his mother. Some weeks
later, the grandmother scheme was written up with a warning in
Consumers' Reports Magazine.

Nigerian schemes, Irish Sweepstakes, etc. have been fairly successful in
stealing money from trusting people, especially the elderly.

Mort Linder

Yep. I can never understand how dumb some people can be. Perhaps they
are blinded by greed.

--
PeterN
Old July 16th 16, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/15/2016 2:23 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 07/15/2016 02:04 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
[...]

Since I did a direct deposit of my tax refund last time, if I owe the
IRS money, they know where to find that money!

The IRS does not operate in that manner. Anyone who says that is trying
to scam you or get sufficient information to steal your identity.

--
PeterN
Old July 16th 16, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ken Hart:
FYI, I do not have a rotary dial phone. And as for a phone with a crank
on the side- I'd love to have a couple of those in working condition. Do
you know what they go for on eBay?

Just looked. Not so expensive as I would have thought, but come to
think of it, they made an awful lot of these and they're not terribly
rare. When I arrived in San Angelo, Tom Greene Co., Texas (USAF) in
1964, hand-crank, red-oak, wall phones were still in use in many parts
of the county outside the city. When they switched to rotary dial a
General Telephone employee gave me about a dozen working phones. I sold
all but the two best ones @ maybe $5 each. They were selling in the
junk stores for $8 to $10. My two remaining phones still work,
AFAIK--but they're not for sale.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 16th 16, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/07/2016 19:23, Ken Hart wrote:
[]
I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

Since I did a direct deposit of my tax refund last time, if I owe the
IRS money, they know where to find that money!

One of the most helpful items I've purchased recently has been a
call-blocker:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm

It's made my existence much more peaceful.
--
Cheers,
David
Old July 16th 16, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

Since I did a direct deposit of my tax refund last time, if I owe the
IRS money, they know where to find that money!

One of the most helpful items I've purchased recently has been a
call-blocker:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm

It's made my existence much more peaceful.

everything that does can be done for free.
Old July 16th 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 07/16/2016 08:11 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

Since I did a direct deposit of my tax refund last time, if I owe the
IRS money, they know where to find that money!

One of the most helpful items I've purchased recently has been a
call-blocker:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm

It's made my existence much more peaceful.

everything that does can be done for free.

Not all phone companies offer the same products, services, and prices.
Some areas do not have a choice in phone services.

--
Ken Hart

Old July 16th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

nospam wrote:
I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

As you may know, the I.R.S, never makes telephone calls about money
owed, nor do they send e-mails.

check your attributions. i didn't write that.

I am replying to the newsgroup, not to one person. If the shoe does not
fit, then do not wear it.

Mort Linder
Old July 16th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 16/07/2016 14:36, Ken Hart wrote:
[]
Not all phone companies offer the same products, services, and prices.
Some areas do not have a choice in phone services.

You are correct. Services like that are not offered free of charge by
my UK land-line provider.

--
Cheers,
David