OT I won

Old July 13th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default OT I won

Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

--
PeterN
Old July 13th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-13 14:45:02 +0000, PeterN said:

Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

Was the Bulgarian accent the tell?

Savageduck

Old July 15th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

I would say Ravel's Bolero, but even in the case of a scammer I would
not want to be responsible for a suicide.

I had such a call a year or so ago. "...can't mail it to you..." If
your answer is not what they are expecting, the get flustered. I said
"I understand. Just give me *your* mailing address and I'll send you a
stamp." He hung up.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 15th 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 7/13/2016 10:45 AM, PeterN wrote:
Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

You're so lucky. I've never gotten a call with such a
magnificent opportunity. [Maybe because I tend to
check caller ID first.]

Anyway, for hold music I might choose something from
Guckenheimer Sour Kraut Band's "Music for Non-thinkers."

==
Later...
Ron C

Old July 15th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 7/14/2016 8:18 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

I would keep them on the line while the had to listen to The Ramones
"Lobotomy" over and over and over - and really loud too.

Old July 15th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

PeterN wrote:
Just got a telephone call. I was selected by the US Government to
receive a grant of $9,000. Sending me a check is impossible. The only
way I can receive this money is by them making a direct deposit in my
bank account. To do this they also need my age, Social Security number,
and banking information. I said I would have to look up that
information. They are now on hold for over ten minutes. I wish I had a
way of playing a message telling this scammer how important this call
was to me, and thanking them for their patience in waiting. The perfect
music on hold for calls like this is Scheherazade.

A friend of mine, an 80 year old widow of modest means, was scammed out
of $18,000.- by means of the grandmother scheme regarding her nephew
allegedly being arrested in Mexico City for drunk driving. When she told
me about it, months later, I asked her why she didn't call her daughter
to see if her grandson was actually in Mexico City. She replied that the
(fake) grandson's voice told her not to tell his mother. Some weeks
later, the grandmother scheme was written up with a warning in
Consumers' Reports Magazine.

Nigerian schemes, Irish Sweepstakes, etc. have been fairly successful in
stealing money from trusting people, especially the elderly.

Mort Linder
Old July 15th 16, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 07/15/2016 02:04 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
[...]

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

Since I did a direct deposit of my tax refund last time, if I owe the
IRS money, they know where to find that money!

--
Ken Hart

Old July 15th 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

you might want to learn how to block spammers.

except that would require technology that's well beyond your rotary
dial wall phone. or do you still use one with a crank on the side?
Old July 15th 16, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 07/15/2016 03:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

you might want to learn how to block spammers.

except that would require technology that's well beyond your rotary
dial wall phone. or do you still use one with a crank on the side?

It must to have been payday at the burger joint you work for you to be
so cocky.

OK, I'll play your little game...

1. Call blocking is based on the caller ID info sent by the caller. If
the caller is spoofing the caller ID, then they can't be blocked, at
least not on this Frontier exchange.

2. Why should I pay for call blocking so that someone is prevented from
doing something they shouldn't be doing (scamming people)?

3. You have no idea of the technical capabilities I use on a day-to-day
basis. And the technical capabilities that I choose, for my own reasons,
to avoid.

FYI, I do not have a rotary dial phone. And as for a phone with a crank
on the side- I'd love to have a couple of those in working condition. Do
you know what they go for on eBay?

The depth and breadth of your lack of understanding and social skills
makes the Grand Canyon look like a drainage ditch.

--
Ken Hart

Old July 16th 16, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I had five robocalls calls yesterday "from the IRS", claiming that I
owed taxes, and the IRS was going to file a lawsuit against me.

you might want to learn how to block spammers.

except that would require technology that's well beyond your rotary
dial wall phone. or do you still use one with a crank on the side?

It must to have been payday at the burger joint you work for you to be
so cocky.

OK, I'll play your little game...

you're the one with the games. you've even admitted as much.

you can dish it out but you can't take it.

1. Call blocking is based on the caller ID info sent by the caller. If
the caller is spoofing the caller ID, then they can't be blocked,

i didn't mention caller id.

using caller id is just one of several ways to block spammers.

at
least not on this Frontier exchange.

then get service from another provider.

2. Why should I pay for call blocking so that someone is prevented from
doing something they shouldn't be doing (scamming people)?

who said anything about paying? blocking can be done for free.

how much is peace worth? even if you do have to pay, it'd be worth it
to put a stop to the calls. 5 calls a day can be considered to be
harassment.

3. You have no idea of the technical capabilities I use on a day-to-day
basis. And the technical capabilities that I choose, for my own reasons,
to avoid.

i'm basing it on your comments.

mastery of the phone system is clearly not among your skills.

FYI, I do not have a rotary dial phone.

why not?

And as for a phone with a crank
on the side- I'd love to have a couple of those in working condition.

so i was right, you just haven't procured one yet.

Do
you know what they go for on eBay?

i know what trimline, princess, candlestick and various other antique
phones go for, on ebay and elsewhere.

ebay is not necessarily the best place to buy certain things, old
phones being one such category. it's great for selling them though.

The depth and breadth of your lack of understanding and social skills
makes the Grand Canyon look like a drainage ditch.

insults means you have nothing.