Problem with a Canon 50D

Old May 29th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

Default Problem with a Canon 50D

My 4 month old Canon 50D has just developed a problem with the thumb
wheel located just behind the shutter release. No function that
requires its use functions anymore. Among other things, I can no longer
adjust the ASA value.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

Gary
Old May 30th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oh this is fun...

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

Gary

Gary

I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
is me.

Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Bob AZ

At the price that they charge you for your short-lifespan DSLR cameras and
poorly figured non-diffraction-limited glass, they should come over and
take your photos for you too.

LOL!!!!!!

Old May 30th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 30 May 2009 02:04:52 -0500, Oh this is fun...
wrote:

At the price that they charge you for your short-lifespan DSLR cameras and
poorly figured non-diffraction-limited glass, they should come over and
take your photos for you too.

LOL!!!!!!

While the technological life of today's cameras may be kind of short,
the prices have certainly come down since the old days. I purchased my
first SLR camera back in 1974...a Nikon F2. Although I got it at a
great discount by purchasing it overseas while in the Navy, the average
stateside price was around $600 at the time. That's 35 years ago. I
wonder what an inflation adjusted price would be today!

The camera still functions just fine today, but it would be getting
harder and harder to get film for it! The last time I ever shot a frame
of film was during a return visit to Midway Island back in 2001. I have
been 100% digital ever since.

I don't know what the resolution limit of my standard 17-85mm Canon lens
is. It may not be diffraction limited, but it certainly goes down to
the resolution limit of the 15MP sensor. I have a number of pictures I
specifically took for resolution tests and it goes right down to the
pixel level limit.

Gary

Old May 30th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Bob AZ wrote:
Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
is me.

Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Your first step would be to take the battery out for ten minutes. Then,
if that doesn't reset/fix it, and a quick go through of menu settings
has been done, dial 1-800......

--
John McWilliams
Old May 31st 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:43:50 -0700, Matt Ion
wrote:

Gary Edstrom wrote:
My 4 month old Canon 50D has just developed a problem with the thumb
wheel located just behind the shutter release. No function that
requires its use functions anymore. Among other things, I can no longer
adjust the ASA value.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

This may be a stupid question, but are you enabling the thumb wheel? I
don't know about the 50D specifically, but my 40D's power switch has two
positions - the first turns the camera on but leaves the thumbwheel
disabled; the second enabled the thumbwheel.

Not trying to be consescending or anything, it's just amazing the little
things that get overlooked sometimes... I'm even guilty of it myself
(try shooting a couple dozen frames and then realizing you don't have a
card in the camera... duh!)

Yes, I know about the 2-position switch...I had used a 20D for 4 years
prior to getting the 50D. That is not the problem. I normally keep it
in the full-on position. No menu setting or anything else that requires
the use of the small thumb-wheel functions at all. Fortunately, the
settings are stuck in the mode that I use most of the time. So I was
able to continue using it on the trip I just got back from.

I am calling Canon Monday.

Gary
Old May 31st 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 30 May 2009 07:12:02 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:
Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
is me.

Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Your first step would be to take the battery out for ten minutes. Then,
if that doesn't reset/fix it, and a quick go through of menu settings
has been done, dial 1-800......

I'll try the battery, but I can't go through the menu settings without
the use of the small thumbwheel. I can't get there from here!

Gary
Old June 1st 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight[_3_]

wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:
Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
is me.

Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Your first step would be to take the battery out for ten minutes. Then,
if that doesn't reset/fix it, and a quick go through of menu settings
has been done, dial 1-800......

I'll try the battery, but I can't go through the menu settings without
the use of the small thumbwheel. I can't get there from here!

Gary

Of course, you can. To tab through the menu, use the 8-way button above the
large wheel on the back. It does the same thing that the small wheel up top
does, in that context.

dwight

Old June 2nd 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:18:35 -0400, "dwight" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip...I didn't know about that way of working through the
menus.

However, my problem remains...I talked to Canon today and they agree
there is a problem. I have a return authorization number and I am going
to be sending in the camera Tuesday.

Gary
Old June 6th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
none[_2_]

wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:
[...]

I still use the 20d I think its a great camera. I also would like to
change to a newer camera, any ideas?

--
http://www.photochimper.com
A great digital photo Club/forum
Old June 6th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 01:09:40 -0400, none wrote:

I still use the 20d I think its a great camera. I also would like to
change to a newer camera, any ideas?

My primary reason for going to the 50D is that it takes all the same
lenses and other accessories as the 20D. I didn't need to shell out
money for new lenses.

It's functionality is very similar to the 20D. One nice feature is the
automatic ultra-sonic sensor cleaning every time you turn the camera on
or off.

Gary