Troy? Noones? other Aussies?

Old January 16th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Troy? Noones? other Aussies?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:25:01 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

I'm sure you're right. When I was in school, Alaska and Hawai`i hadn't yet
been elevated to the rank of states. And we weren't (indeed, still aren't)
encouraged to think of our territories and possessions as being part of the
"United States".

Bob

True, which really annoys my Puerto Rican students.
Old January 16th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:25:01 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

I'm sure you're right. When I was in school, Alaska and Hawai`i hadn't yet
been elevated to the rank of states. And we weren't (indeed, still aren't)
encouraged to think of our territories and possessions as being part of the
"United States".

Bob

But your point that Australia is a very big place is of course valid.
Old January 16th 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:05:53 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2011-01-15 21:35:55 -0800, Robert Coe said:
:
: On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:09:15 -0500, wrote:
: : On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:25:01 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:
: :
: : I'm sure you're right. When I was in school, Alaska and Hawai`i hadn't yet
: : been elevated to the rank of states. And we weren't (indeed, still aren't)
: : encouraged to think of our territories and possessions as being part of the
: : "United States".
: :
: : True, which really annoys my Puerto Rican students.
:
: If Puerto Rico does achieve statehood, it will join an even more elite company
: that includes, at present, only Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and
: Kentucky - the four states that officially refer to themselves as
: "Commonwealths".
:
: For extra credit, here's a trivia question that made the rounds a few years
: ago: What is the largest U.S. metropolitan area without major-league baseball?
:
: Bob
:
: There are a few contenders; Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Orlando,
: Indianapolis.
: I think the winner(loser) would be Portland, OR.
: Montreal doesn't count on two separate levels. It is in Canada, and
: they just gave up on baseball.

You missed the obvious hint provided by the context! It's San Juan, PR.

Or at least it was when the question was circulating, which was as the
Montréal team was moving to Washington. I guess the Washington area was the
previous winner (loser). Conceivably things could change when the new census
figures come out. (I don't believe the metropolitan area figures have been
released yet, but I could be wrong.)

Bob
Old January 16th 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.01.16 1:05 , Savageduck wrote:

Montreal doesn't count on two separate levels. It is in Canada, and they
just gave up on baseball.

Montreal counts especially high because it is not in the US and because
it gave up on baseball. (I do miss my semi-annual visits to games -
prime seats (5 rows above the dugout inside the base) for about $15 with
beer and snack service right to the seat. Traded a word or two with
Donald Sutherland once [an avid fan]).

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old January 16th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Well, you did say U.S. metropolitan area, and PR is not a state yet.
Certainly it is under U.S. jurisdiction, but it is not quite a U.S.
metropolitan area.
I guess you are going to have to wait for them to stop fielding their
own Olympic team.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/arti..._markets.shtml

Or at least it was when the question was circulating, which was as the
Montréal team was moving to Washington. I guess the Washington area was the
previous winner (loser). Conceivably things could change when the new census
figures come out. (I don't believe the metropolitan area figures have been
released yet, but I could be wrong.)

Bob

Savageduck