Sony crap. $1500 for a 50mm prime and you end up with oval highlights???!

Old July 12th 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Sony crap. $1500 for a 50mm prime and you end up with oval highlights???!

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:11:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/samples/7186...sample-gallery

Are you sure those aren't hanging lights with the angle making them
look oval?
Old July 12th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/samples/7186...sample-gallery

Are you sure those aren't hanging lights with the angle making them
look oval?

Very pretty girl.

No - that's typical for most "standard" 50mm lenses, including the bokeh
fringing "ring" effect on the edges.
Of course you wouldn't see the off-round effect as much on APS-C (that
taken on 35mm format).
Old July 12th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/samples/7186...sample-gallery

Are you sure those aren't hanging lights with the angle making them
look oval?

Very pretty girl.

No - that's typical for most "standard" 50mm lenses, including the bokeh
fringing "ring" effect on the edges.
Of course you wouldn't see the off-round effect as much on APS-C (that
taken on 35mm format).

You got me thinking. I have an old 50mm 1.4. I thought the fringing was
due to a lens defect. It is a very old lens, circa 1974. since I went
digital I have only used it on my D200. There have been times when I
would like to use it, but that fringing effect bothered me. Is that
effect typical of even the new 50mm?
--
PeterN
Old July 12th 16, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/samples/7186...sample-gallery

Are you sure those aren't hanging lights with the angle making them
look oval?

Very pretty girl.

No - that's typical for most "standard" 50mm lenses, including the bokeh
fringing "ring" effect on the edges.
Of course you wouldn't see the off-round effect as much on APS-C (that
taken on 35mm format).

You got me thinking. I have an old 50mm 1.4. I thought the fringing was
due to a lens defect. It is a very old lens, circa 1974. since I went
digital I have only used it on my D200. There have been times when I
would like to use it, but that fringing effect bothered me. Is that
effect typical of even the new 50mm?

Pretty much I think:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...ns/58mm-bokeh/
(yes - that's Ken Rockwell - but don't let that put you off - he's
actually quite useful occasionally.
Elsewhere on his site are other ~50mm lens comparisons.
I think if you look at schematics for standard 50mm lenses, most are
"planar" design. Perhaps that explains the bokeh characteristics,
generally not very good (subjective I know) - even for the outrageously
expensive ones.
Old July 13th 16, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

[...]

Not all lenses in the 50-85mm range are plagued by this kind of vignetting.

What vignetting?
In those sample shots taken at f1.4, the only one where vignetting was
obvious (girl leaning over wooden chair back) the vignetting seems
fairly typical for 50mm f1.4 lenses to me - not a big deal. To my eyes
that lens looks pretty sharp wide open too.
If we're going to have a bitch session about that lens/camera
combination, then the lens price is moderately insane (IMO) but there
are more insane choices out there.
I'd be bitching about the pixel-level noise at ISO100/200 and poor
quality of the jpegs - though both of these may not be at all
representative of how the raw files look.