Killed it with one shot...

Old September 19th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Killed it with one shot...

Mich has had a buddy for the last week, a Lab named Kesho.

I wanted a quick shot of him before he goes home in a couple of days, so I
zipped outside with my trusty wireless flash setup and snapped a shot.

Yep, one pic. That's a first for me.

While it probably could be framed a bit better (as is usual), I hear the
results aren't all that bad.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoSmall.jpg (Fast Loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoLarge.jpg (Full Size)

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Thanks a bunch,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful." Irwin Barker

any act that re-makes the world is heroic.
Stephen King

Old September 19th 11, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-18 20:47:09 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" said:

Mich has had a buddy for the last week, a Lab named Kesho.

I wanted a quick shot of him before he goes home in a couple of days, so I
zipped outside with my trusty wireless flash setup and snapped a shot.

Yep, one pic. That's a first for me.

While it probably could be framed a bit better (as is usual), I hear the
results aren't all that bad.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoSmall.jpg (Fast Loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoLarge.jpg (Full Size)

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Thanks a bunch,
Dudley

Yup!
Great shot of a beautiful lab.
You did get it right with that shot, good work.

....and "buddy"? Mich had a fine lady visiting. ;-)

Savageduck

Old September 19th 11, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

On 2011-09-18 20:47:09 -0700, "Dudley Hanks"
said:

Mich has had a buddy for the last week, a Lab named Kesho.

I wanted a quick shot of him before he goes home in a couple of days, so
zipped outside with my trusty wireless flash setup and snapped a shot.

Yep, one pic. That's a first for me.

While it probably could be framed a bit better (as is usual), I hear the
results aren't all that bad.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoSmall.jpg (Fast Loading)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/KeshoLarge.jpg (Full Size)

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Thanks a bunch,
Dudley

Yup!
Great shot of a beautiful lab.
You did get it right with that shot, good work.

...and "buddy"? Mich had a fine lady visiting. ;-)

Savageduck

Thanks, SD, appreciate your comment.

Actually, Kesho is a guy. Not sure where they got the name though. I
thought it would be more suited for a female, too.

Kesho is just about as big as Mich, so this was a first for him, as well.
He couldn't body slam this Lab quite as easily as others, although Mich did
a great job of head-butting him out of the way if Kesho got to the feeding
bowls first...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old September 19th 11, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"ASCII" wrote in message news:4e76c3f9.4249578@PEACE...
Dudley Hanks wrote:

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Maybe a too obvious question -
If the dog's name is Kesho
why does its collar tag say Laura?

That's actually a good question, which I can't answer.

In addition to Kesho being a male, his puppy raiser is male, too...

Perhaps, it's a trainer's name? Or, has something to do with the home where
the pup was whelped...?

I'll have to get more details on what info is on the tags.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old September 19th 11, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-18 21:28:22 -0700, ASCII said:

Dudley Hanks wrote:

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Maybe a too obvious question -
If the dog's name is Kesho
why does its collar tag say Laura?

Yup! It was the Laura that threw me.

Savageduck

Old September 19th 11, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 18 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Very nice.

I gather from comments elsewhere in the thread that Kesho is a service
dog in training?

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old September 19th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
44.100...
On 18 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

Appreciate any comments / suggestions you care to send my way...

Very nice.

I gather from comments elsewhere in the thread that Kesho is a service
dog in training?

Thanks, Joe, appreciate your comment.

Yes, Kesho is a service dog in training from Dogs With Wings, an Edmonton
based organization that produces guide dogs, therapy dogs, and hearing
assistance canines.

My wife, kids and I help out a bit by fostering dogs when puppy-raisers need
a break, like when they go on vacation, have stronger than usual work /
school commitments, have out of town visitors staying with them, etc.

It's great fun, and it gives Mich a varied supply of new pups to play with,
so it's win / win.

If I weren't such a GS enthusiast, I'd opt for a DWW guide, myself, but they
don't train Shepherds, only Labs.

Since Guide Dogs for the Blind (the school that trained Mich) has also
discontinued working with GS dogs, I'll probably head East to Jersey for my
next guide.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old September 19th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

On 9/19/2011 8:02 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Joe wrote in message
44.100...
[...]

Dudley, a question not about photography but about dogs. A few days ago
I saw a beautiful black Lab guide dog that appeared to weigh around 40
pounds--much smaller than most Labs, although it appeared to be quite
healthy and well fed. A friend with two Labs told me that Lab service
dogs are generally much smaller than the run-of-the mill Labs. Is this
true?
Allen
Old September 19th 11, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Allen" wrote in message
On 9/19/2011 8:02 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Joe wrote in message
44.100...
[...]

Yes, Allen, a lot of Labs used for guides have been bred to be rather
compact, some measuring only about 19 or 20 inches at the shoulder. The
idea is that it's easier for a small guide to be taken onto airplanes,
buses, etc...

When I was training with Mich in San Rafael, he had his eye on a little Lab
lady that was about 21" tall, nice and petite.

That's not to say that bigger Labs aren't used, as well. I have a friend
who's Lab guide is about the same size as Mich, weighing in at almost 105
pounds, but that's not the usual case.

Personally, I don't like the small dogs, since it's a bit much to expect a
40 pound dog to dive in front of a 230 pound guy and stop him in an
emergency, which can happen more often than most handlers like. So, I
always ask for one of the big guys. My first guide, Bonner, was 27" tall,
weighing about 90 pounds; Dima was 24" tall and weighed around 78 pounds,
and, of course my big baby Mich is 29" tall and weighs between 110 and 115
pounds (depending on how much exercise he's had, recently).

But, if you travel by plane a lot, one of the little dogs would definitely
be a lot easier to squeeze in.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old September 19th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:14:07 -0600, Dudley Hanks wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message
On 9/19/2011 8:02 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Joe wrote in message
44.100...
[...]

Great picture, and a lot of interesting facts in the follow up