Re photo smell

Old January 26th 04, 03:33 PM
Jorge Omar

Default Re photo smell

In the past, before a long dry period, I used those almost cubic bottles of
HC-110 (I did not mix a stock solution - always concentrated - working).

I remember it had a characteristic smell - kind of rotten (sulfur?).
Nowadays, no more.

Anyone can remember it?

Thanks,

Jorge

Old January 26th 04, 06:09 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Jorge Omar wrote:

In the past, before a long dry period, I used those almost cubic bottles of
HC-110 (I did not mix a stock solution - always concentrated - working).
I remember it had a characteristic smell - kind of rotten (sulfur?).
Nowadays, no more.
Anyone can remember it?
Thanks,
Jorge

Obviously your not serious,....All I have to do is walk downstairs to
my basement darkroom, to remember and I did print there over the weekend.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old January 26th 04, 09:17 PM
Jorge Omar

Gregory W Blank wrote in
:

In article ,
Jorge Omar wrote:

In the past, before a long dry period, I used those almost cubic
bottles of HC-110 (I did not mix a stock solution - always
concentrated - working). I remember it had a characteristic smell -
kind of rotten (sulfur?). Nowadays, no more.
Anyone can remember it?
Thanks,
Jorge

Obviously your not serious,....All I have to do is walk downstairs to
my basement darkroom, to remember and I did print there over the
weekend.

Yes, I really mean it - the cylindrical bottle I have today (bought close
to one yr ago) doesn't have this smell. ???

Jorge
Old January 27th 04, 01:58 AM
Mark in Maine

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:09:49 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

...All I have to do is walk downstairs to
my basement darkroom, to remember and I did print there over the weekend.

You use HC-110 to print?

Old January 28th 04, 11:00 AM
Jim Phelps

"Jorge Omar" wrote in message
In the past, before a long dry period, I used those almost cubic bottles

of
HC-110 (I did not mix a stock solution - always concentrated - working).

I remember it had a characteristic smell - kind of rotten (sulfur?).
Nowadays, no more.

Anyone can remember it?

Thanks,

Jorge

Jorge,

Kodak has reformulated HC-110 over the years, and yes, you're right, the
1 liter round bottle doesn't have that old smell. Probably due to a
reformulation seeing as HC-110 (like Rodinal) always last for ever in
concentrates and get used up slowly.

BTW, any news on the Enlarger???

Jim

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old January 28th 04, 12:35 PM
Jorge Omar

Hello, Jim

So I wasn't dreaming about a gone smell...
No, not yet. Surface mail takes a long time. I'm expecting it by next
month.
In the past I used to subscribe to some magazines surface mail. Sometimes
say the February issue would arrive before the January, etc. No logic in
it.

Regards,

Jorge

"Jim Phelps" wrote in
:

Old February 1st 04, 07:37 PM
Patrick Gainer

wrote:

..All I have to do is walk downstairs to
my basement darkroom, to remember and I did print there over the weekend.

You use HC-110 to print?

I used to. With some carbonate added, and a little sulfite, it makes a
good print developer.
Old February 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Patrick Gainer

Jorge Omar wrote:

Hello, Jim

So I wasn't dreaming about a gone smell...
No, not yet. Surface mail takes a long time. I'm expecting it by next
month.
In the past I used to subscribe to some magazines surface mail. Sometimes
say the February issue would arrive before the January, etc. No logic in
it.

Regards,

Jorge

"Jim Phelps" wrote in
:

Jorge,

Kodak has reformulated HC-110 over the years, and yes, you're
right, the
1 liter round bottle doesn't have that old smell. Probably due to a
reformulation seeing as HC-110 (like Rodinal) always last for ever in
concentrates and get used up slowly.

I read somewhere that Kodak used catechol at one time in place of
hydroquinone. The two are closely related, having in fact the same
empirical formula, but catechol has a different smell. Both are in fact
tanning-staining developers under the right conditions.