motor base

Old January 30th 04, 03:37 PM
Mike King

Default motor base

Beseler did not make the Unidrum, Unicolor did, but aside from that, you are
correct, most drums are made to be hand rolled. If I were making 20 prints
a day I'd get tired awful fast of rolling the darn thing. For RA-4 I use
trays. For film I use a Unicolor Film Drum and a motor base. Dilute film
developers can require long periods of agitation.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Norman Worth" wrote in message
k.net...
You can manage well without them. The Beseler Unidrum was actually made

be rolled back and forth on a table (using "drift through" temperature
control). Its lopsided design assures proper, non-streaking agitation

when
used that way. Many motorized processors are pretty simplistic. All you
have to do is make sure the drum keeps in motion and makes at least one

full
turn in each direction when you turn it. About 15 - 20 turns a minute

works
fine. If you don't mind getting wet, a water bath can be used for
temperature control.

"Mike" wrote in message
How important is a motorized base for doing Ilfochrome (or RA-4 color

printing)?

I have a drum and thats it. I have not tried color printing yet, but

would like to try soon.

Old January 31st 04, 12:54 AM
Jtown2354

Beseler did not make the Unidrum - but they make their Beseler tubes - and they
also make a motor base. Personally, I use the Beseler motor base and tubes for
all color printing. Frankly, using the 11x14 and 16x20 tubes for multiple
8x10s works beautifully and saves untold time. And while I can use the motor
base with film - I find it much easier to just do it by hand. --- Jerry/Idaho