OT - what species of bird is this please.

Old October 8th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

Default OT - what species of bird is this please.

I would like to know what kind of duck I am looking at , the little one, not
the Mallard.

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Old October 8th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Rudy Benner wrote:
I would like to know what kind of duck I am looking at , the little one, not
the Mallard.

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Hi Rudy,
That looks like a female Tufted Duck to me (named after the small tuft
of feathers at the back of the head, which is much more noticeable in
the male).
Cheers,
Mark

Old October 9th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Try posting your question on a newsgroup about birds, or send a reduced
size version of that photo to your favorite zoo's docent to ask.
Old October 9th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Try posting your question on a newsgroup about birds, or send a reduced
size version of that photo to your favorite zoo's docent to ask.

I did say it was OT, did I not?

There is no zoo here.

Anything else I can do for you to ruin your otherwise perfect day? A slap in
the head maybe?

r.
Old October 9th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Rudy Benner wrote:
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Try posting your question on a newsgroup about birds, or send a reduced
size version of that photo to your favorite zoo's docent to ask.

I did say it was OT, did I not?

There is no zoo here.

Anything else I can do for you to ruin your otherwise perfect day? A slap in
the head maybe?

I used to hunt these in Illinois many centuries ago, or so it would
seem. We always called the colorful ones "Mallard Drakes". The other
looks like a chick, so too soon to tell if it's a hen or drake.

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 9th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Rudy Benner wrote:
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg
Try posting your question on a newsgroup about birds, or send a reduced
size version of that photo to your favorite zoo's docent to ask.

I did say it was OT, did I not?

There is no zoo here.

Anything else I can do for you to ruin your otherwise perfect day? A slap
in the head maybe?

I used to hunt these in Illinois many centuries ago, or so it would seem.
We always called the colorful ones "Mallard Drakes". The other looks like
a chick, so too soon to tell if it's a hen or drake.

--
john mcwilliams

It is most definitely not a Mallard. We have hundreds of those here, the
bird in questions is quite different, much smaller, different body. A VERY
good diver. The mallard chicks do not look like this one.

We also have Common Loons, Cranes, and of course the damned seagulls.

Old October 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
cjcampbell

Rudy Benner wrote:
I would like to know what kind of duck I am looking at , the little one, not
the Mallard.

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

Try posting it on http://www.treknature.com/

Those guys know just about everything.

Old October 9th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheldon

Rudy Benner wrote:
I would like to know what kind of duck I am looking at , the little one, not
the Mallard.

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

The lower duck, with green neck, is definitely a male mallard. The
upper duck, the one without the green neck is *definitely* a female or
immature mallard (it's near impssible by visual alone to differentiate
an immature mallard from a female mallard.

Old October 9th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

Sheldon wrote:
Rudy Benner wrote:
I would like to know what kind of duck I am looking at , the little one,
not
the Mallard.

http://rudybenner.com/album/DSC_0691.jpg

The lower duck, with green neck, is definitely a male mallard. The
upper duck, the one without the green neck is *definitely* a female or
immature mallard (it's near impssible by visual alone to differentiate
an immature mallard from a female mallard.

Whew! [see my post a bit before yours chronologically and rudy's reply] I
thought my memory banks had been blown out. Our replies are virtually
identical.

--
john mcwilliams

I am putting together a short pdf file which shows the Mallard drake, the
Mallard hen (or immature mallard), and the bird in question.

http://www.rudybenner.com/album/Birds.pdf

The first page shows one drake and 3 hens (or immature), all Mallards. All
the Mallards
have orange feet. The mystery bird does not. It is considerably smaller than
the Mallards. The bird in question is not a Mallard. All the Mallards I have
seen have a dark eye, the bird in question has a golden eye. Note the
difference in body structure.

Old October 9th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Sheldon wrote:
Rudy Benner wrote:
[...]

I have reached the limit of my wild fowl knowledge. Sorry.

john mcwilliams