Ref: Indoor Shooting?

Old July 21st 04, 11:27 PM
Mick

Default Ref: Indoor Shooting?

My post got sorta lost so I hope you don't mind my bringing it to the group
a second time, also added some extra information.

I'm having problems getting indoor "people shots" without having shake in
them. I can get plenty outdoor ones (some have shake) but most are ok. I can
take some very good landscape pictures with no problems. I have tried using
flash, leaning on furniture, changing settings etc, all to no avail. I'm
talking mostly of christenings/weddings/party shots, not looking for "Pro"
shots just some decent ones. Has anyone got any links to sites for "indoor
photography basics" preferably people pictures?
The camera that I'm using is a Fuji 6900 digital zoom. I used shutter
priority and also full manual to try to help
stop any movement. I also used the in built flash/red eye reduction etc, but
it's just not coming to-gether for me. A family christening I attended did
not lend itself to using a Tripod unfortunately. As I said outdoors I can
get people in clear focus it's indoors that I have severe problems with.

Has anyone got any links to sites for "indoor photography basics" preferably
people pictures?

Links/tips would be a great help.

Mick.

Old July 21st 04, 11:32 PM
Jimmy G

Default Indoor Shooting?

When using "shutter priority," which shutter speed are you selecting?

It should be 1/60 - 1/125 or so, depending at which speed your camera sync's
with the flash.

Old July 22nd 04, 12:34 AM
Mick

"Jimmy G" wrote in message
When using "shutter priority," which shutter speed are you selecting?

It should be 1/60 - 1/125 or so, depending at which speed your camera

sync's
with the flash.

I was actually using 250/500 mostly because it was hard to keep the kids
from moving around and waving their hands.

Mick.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:16 AM
Jimmy G

Camera's synchronize the shutter speed to the flash at speeds between around
1/60 to 1/125 depending on the camera. This speed is crucial in film
photography as it allows the shutter to fully expose the frame of film for
the entire duration of the flash.

If you are taking your photos at the speeds which you indicate, chances are
that the shutter is not open for all, or even PART of the time the flash is
activated. The photo will most likely be underexposed if ambient light is
inadequate. Additionally, the autofocus mechanism might not have enough
light to properly focus the lens.

Try some flash shots using the "P" mode on the exposure mode dial. Also, if
it's a particularly low-light situation, try setting the flash mode at
slow-sync.

There might be some websites out there, but I can't help you on that one.
You've got a pretty nice camera that's fairly sophisticated as far as user
settings are concerned. To get the fullest out of it, I suggest that you
REALLY dig into the owner's manual & read the hell out of it. Also, go to
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji6900z/ and read about the camera. It's
a GREAT review with TONS of info.

If there's a "Magic Lantern" guide for your particular camera, buy it!
Google your model & see if there are any other aftermarket user guides
focusing on the 6900.

Don't forget the Fuji website, as well.

Good luck