[SI] Steeples - What hasn't made the cut

Old February 1st 13, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default [SI] Steeples - What hasn't made the cut

I've already explained that there are few worthwhile steeples within
gunshot of where I live and that I am in any case presently restricted
in my movements. Instead I've gone to recent archives to extract
photographs of steeples and the like.

All the photographs were taken under tourist conditions: no control of
the site, the distance, the nature or direction of the light, or the
weather in general. A good photograph is one without a stray head in
it.

One of my problems is I tend to value content as much the technical
aspects. A technically lousy photograph of an interesting steeple
still ranks highly in my general opinion. I know that not everyone
holds that view (sigh). Anyway, I had to make a decision and the best
way seemed to be put up the ones which didn't make the cut, thereby
committing myself by implication to those that did make the cut.

Here are two from Copenhagen:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0088_DxO.jpg is the
extraordinary spire of "Vor Frelsers Kirke" in Copenhagen. There is a
stairway to the top of the spire but it runs up the outside! I met
someone who has climbed it and he said once you get up a bit it feels
much safer if you go up backwards on the seat of your trousers.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0101_DxO.jpg is the spire of St
Nikolaj Kirke. Just look at all that copper. The mounted gentleman is
the bishop. The speckled texture is due to overdoing it with DxO. I
can now do better.

St Petersberg now:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0253_DxO.jpg are the 'spires' of
the family chapel on Queen Catherine's Palace. They told us "If it
looks like gold, it probably is gold".
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0258_DxO.jpg helps put things
into perspective. You can see about half the servant's quarters to the
left of the chapel and less than half of the palace-proper to the
right of the chapel. You can only photograph the whole of this from
the air.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_0286_DxO.jpg is the "Peter and
Paul" Cathedral. The tower is 404' high and very difficult to
photograph from any accessible site on the ground. The murk was due to
the hot muggy atmosphere - 36C + high humidity I think it was that
day.

These photographs are interesting but I don't think any of them are of
real merit.

Eric Stevens
Old February 1st 13, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:22:07 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

My niece was at a ball at the Catherine Place for
Xmas 2011. Snow & ice everywhere. I'll try and
get the pictures. All furs and jewels.
Old February 1st 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 1/31/2013 7:22 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

OK They are decent "I've been there," shots. Now get your imagination
juices flowing, and create. ;-)

--
PeterN
Old February 1st 13, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

And, sadly, they're better than any of mine, so far.

Whine. Sniffle.
Old February 1st 13, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Is extensive Photoshopping permitted?

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 13, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

At this point, all bets are off. But I'd prefer we didn't go down that
road, so no. Please try to stick to "straight" shots with minimal post
processing.
Old February 3rd 13, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

OK Just shot my second one today.

--
PeterN
Old February 3rd 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

How did you make out on your trip to Copley Square? I still haven't made it
over to ONC. On the one day I had my cameras along, by the time the weather
cleared I was bogged down with other work and couldn't get away.

: Is extensive Photoshopping permitted?
:
: At this point, all bets are off. But I'd prefer we didn't go down that
: road, so no. Please try to stick to "straight" shots with minimal post
: processing.

That's fine, and we'll abide by that dictum. (We would have anyway - neither
of us is very adept at photo editing - but that's not really the point.)

However, unless we're undertaking to accurately document the current condition
of the world's steeples, it's hard to see the benefit of restrictions on
extensive editing. Most overedited pictures look artificial anyway. Sometimes
that artificiality is attractive, and sometimes it isn't, in which case it's
up to the submitter to defend his artistic judgement when it comes under
attack. So what's the downside of leaving it up to the submitter and letting
the chips fall where they may? (Just my 2¢ worth as a devil's advocate.)

Bob
Old February 3rd 13, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2/3/2013 1:28 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

snip

(Just my 2¢ worth as a devil's advocate.)

that's one heck of an expression to use with this subject.

--
PeterN
Old February 4th 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

wrote:

[...]

then again you could have stitched a couple of images.